“Nice location, good food but cleaning needs addressing”

The Grove Ferry Riverside Pub & Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Upstreet
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our homely little slice of Kent. The Grove Pantry Pub is an old Georgian manner sitting on The Great River Stour in the middle of the Stodmarsh Nature Reserve. The Georgian manner is now our very own pantry pub with pigs, goats, chickens, pheasants and quails all in our gardens and helping us to be proper country folk. Our menu is brought to you by our very own forager chef who trawls the countryside each season to bring you fresh ingredients. If our chickens are up to it the eggs on your full English will be freshly laid and collected that morning and if you cant quite polish the breakfast of don't worry Lily and Pickle our pigs will eat the left overs except for the bacon naturally. If you are naughty during your stay the team might rope you in to helping pick the fresh veg, herbs and fruit from our garden or feel free to volunteer and you might get a free slice of cake. But don't forget there is loads to be seeing and doing in the local area including boat trips chartered from the pub and pleasant walks around the nature reserve that boasts some very rare birds and beautiful panoramic views of the marsh and river. Don't expect a glitsy spanking hotel but expect loads of character, lovely old rooms with all the facilities you need to spend a weekend in the country with the added benefit of a short hop to the beach or Canterbury itself. The pub has it's very own pantry area where you can pick and choose items made by the team, we have open fires and stoves, plenty of comfy chairs, a menu to make your mouth water, ales racked up on the bar and some scrumptious wines. The rooms are big and airy in that typical Georgian fashion, each is individually styled and has it's own bathroom. All rooms have large sash windows overlooking either the river or across our front garden into the nature reserve. oooh! And with a bit of notice you can ring us to go out with the foraging chef for morning or afternoon call us direct to find out a little more.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went to pick up some items in Canterbury and thought we would look for somewhere different for lunch. Happened on The Grove by luck and it looked a nice location and a pretty building so decided to give it a try. Full car park was a good sign and was pleased to see the 2 very well looked after goats in the grounds. We went in and were asked if we would like to sit inside or out, we chose inside. The tables were small and not very clean but service was good and we were brought drinks and menu's very quickly. Mostly bottled beers and ciders but a good choice. My husband ordered the fish and chips and I had a prawn and shrimp sandwich with chips, food was very good but small things such as no salt and pepper on the tables was irritating.
My main comment would be that the toilets were very dirty, the wood paneling was filthy and there was about 5 years of dust build up around the skirting. The cleaning needs to be quickly addressed as mentioned the tables were also dirty and the floor had stewn food over.
Overall, good location, very good food but when your eating it needs to be a clean enviroment.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had a great weekend at the Grove, relaxing in the sunshine near the water, watching the boats and kayakers go past! Perfect!!! Great food and friendly staff, who were helpful and quick to serve and clear tables- despite how busy it was. I really like what the owners have done to the place, really makes it unique! The chutneys and pickles in the pantry are very tasty and the furnishings and little extras around the place add to its charm!
The goats, pigs and chickens just add to the appeal and uniqueness of the place.
I can't believe people have said anything negative about the pub!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We love The Grove and always come down with the kids when we have a beautiful sunny day here in good old Kent. We visited on the bank holiday and the place was rammed the car parks full to the brim. This didn't surprise me as on our last visit the owners had made a few changes, introduction of some lovely animals, their very own veg and herb patches and a wonderfully unique smoke house. We managed to find a parking space and ventured in through the back garden which was pretty full but we managed to find a table. The wife and kids sat on the table and I went in to grab the drinks, the bar was full but the 3 members of the team behind it was fast and efficient in making sure the wait wasn't too long. As I took my place in the queue I overheard the owner saying there was a forty minute wait on food, most people seem to be happy with this as who wouldn't be waiting in a beautiful location with the river, the animals for entertainment. Inside the pub is a good mix of traditional pub mixed with a quirky happy side, a pantry full of home made chutneys and smoked fish and cheese. As I was up next I ordered some drinks and some dishes for the gang from a menu I had grabbed while in the queue, a Sharing Ploughmans, the lady that served me I believe the owner, think she is the one on the back of the groovy little booklets that are dotted about the place. She told me of the wait on the food which I said was fine and I went back to the garden to enjoy the day, the kids loved the goats so friendly and soft, my boy loved the pigs and had fun making noises with lily and pickle, Our food arrived earlier than expected and was amazing! a picnic on a wooden board! the waitresses were friendly, smiley and efficient, bringing us cutlery and sauces and always walking around the garden clearing plates and glasses keeping it tidy. Ive always had such a lovely day in this obviously busy and popular pub, I suggest to the other reviewers to relax and enjoy yourselves instead of looking for slip ups and dust, you'll have a much happy experience. Keep up the good work guys.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went for lunch on 3rd May expecting something good judging by the hype (The Grove Ferry owners are great at self promotion). The owners were going through the motions and gave you the impression they would rather be somewhere else. The place was unkempt, sticky tables because they obviously were not being cleaned. Some of the corridors were thick with dust and the place looks like it needs a good clean up. Ridiculously short menu, food average to poor. I am not at all surprised by Welshwhitch's review. Quite where the previous reviewers are coming friom is very difficult to comprehend. An altogether unpleasant experience. Will not be revisiting!!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'd like to start by saying that to be fair we visited on a bank holiday weekend, so I'm sure it was a lot busier than normal!

Firstly, the location is fantastic. It's just by the river with some great views and a huge beer garden. They're growing their own food and keep several animals as well, which I imagine would be great if you have kids. The service was OK. They could have done with proofreading their menu, as there were some rather glaring spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, and they should have put the menus in a more obvious place.

We visited after a walk for food and a quick drink. It was fairly busy but we got our drinks in decent time. We had to wait half an hour for sandwiches which I thought was a bit too long. They didn't have a great selection of drinks, although given that it was a bank holiday Monday it's possible that they just ran out.

The food was fairly good, though a little overpriced for what was essentially a tuna mayo sandwich and chips! The menu itself seemed to be rather ambitious though interesting, a lot of foraged and locally sourced food.

I would visit again, although they would need to either increase the quality or decrease the price for me to be tempted to eat there again.