All reviewsthe pubprivate gardenseparate buildingroll top bathbar menubeautiful villageconverted barnnorth downsshepherd neameposter bedour room was spaciousfull englishstayed for nightsfamily roomshort drivea lovely staychannel tunnel
Reviewed October 12, 2016

Very lucky find.
Stayed recently on our way to the port of Dover, and with an early morning start we bedded here for the night.
Clean room and bathroom, good enough for the job.
Coffee and tea making facilities.
Restaurant service and food were very good for us, for the evening.
Our food was enormous and very tasty.
Will stay here again for same route.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2016

Arrived after a flight back from holiday enroute back home to Europe and after struggling round the scaffolding into the pub which is also reception we were ignored for several minutes whilst the staff served drinks. I am more than happy to wait but some acknowledgement that we were there would have been nice. My husband introduced himself and was greeted with "oh yes - that will be £60". We were then shown to our suite which was really roomy with a twin and a double room though the bathroom was a bit grubby with mould around the seals on the shower and in the morning the shower drain didn't work so our showers ware spent ankle deep in water so we had to be quick.

We went back to the pub for dinner and the food was great. It sadly the service was still poor, we still felt like an inconvenience and retired to the room as soon as we could, taking our wine with us rather than stay in the bar - very unusual for us.

Breakfast was really good and served by a different waitress with a smile, I should have asked her name as she was lovely.

All in all, despite the write up, I think this is a place for locals and not people travelling and looking for a good welcome and overnight stay on their journey. I very much doubt we'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki W
Reviewed October 5, 2016 via mobile

I visited this hotel in the last week of September and I shall never be going back again. We arrived shattered after a long trip and just needed food and bed. The staff were rude and had no time to help us so we had some food instead while they made up our room at 8pm!!! The food arrived an hour late and it was enough to feed a baby but with adult prices. The rooms were sparsely decorated by someone who obviously has no taste at all and were very uncomfortable. I spoke with the landlady who seemed more interested in taking my money rather than listen to my grievances. I won't be staying again and I have given this hotel a 0 rating. Avoid it like the plague !

Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul L
Reviewed September 26, 2016

The owners of this pub could not have made our stay more easy and straightforward. Despite being a large group of 3 teachers and 9 students (on pilgrimage to Canterbury) nothing was too much trouble. They enabled us to complete our journey on time by going the extra mile in so many ways. Thank you!

Reviewed September 20, 2016

We were due to drop our son off to the university for Freshers Week and didn't fancy the prospect of driving back to the midlands the same day... so I searched t'internet and stumbled across the Woolpack....So I booked a double room for Saturday night.. How lucky were we! The staff were extremely welcoming and showed us to our room, really cosy, huge comfy bed and an en-suite down a few steps... really quite lovely (although mind your head! people were a bit shorter in 1480...). We booked into the restaurant, beautiful room, great atmosphere, really busy but we were served very quickly and without fuss... Starters and mains were quite superb, really delicious all swilled down with a well deserved bottle of Boonaburra Shiraz Cabernet...thoroughly enjoyed it. Had a great night's sleep and enjoyed full English the following morning to help us on our long drive home.... This will be our bolt hole now for the next few years whilst visiting our son... We've already booked and are looking forward to seeing our son in November... and we can bring the dog! It just gets better.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family