“Don't expect a lot”

Everest Panorama Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daman
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was booked in here for two nights but only stayed one as I found there wasn't much to do, unless you wanted long, hilly walks to the village and local attractions. Also the place does not have car access and you have to walk and negotiate flights of steps from the road which takes a few minutes. It is quite isolated and the most appealing thing to me about the place was viewing the sunrise.

My room was OK except the steam heater attached to the wall didn't work and when I enquired I was told the room should have had an electric heater. They then gave me one and I found it wasn't very effective, but when I returned to the room from dinner I found two hot water bottles in the bed.

The meals were buffet style and average, and the staff were friendly and heplful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MikefromBerry

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Being a Nepali and stayd in almost all mountain resorts in Nepal, Everest panorama resort was by far the best I have stayed in. The facilities were top notch and the hotel was spotless!!!
From the moment we arrived we were treated fantastically. Everybody was so friendly and helpful and service with a smile. The bar staff did their best to remember everybodies drinks and interacted with the kids at the same time. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to go on holiday with kids and have a luxurious holiday whilst relaxing in a fantastic family environment overlooking to the unbroken Himalayan range. I will certainly visit again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bikash K
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We have traveled extensively, at least in over 60 countries and many places in Nepal, Tibet, India, Bhutan in the region and we have never come across such a wonderful place. 7 Km lake nearby, over 600 km unbroken Himalayan range from Mt.Everest and beyond to Mt. Makalu and Mt. Kanchenjunga in the east to Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Fishtail, Mt. Dhaulagiri in the west of Nepal - the highest mountains in the world!. We traveled via Daman to avoid thousand of truck and buses on Mugling road, and return from Chitwan National Park to Kathmandu, and we found this heavenly place.

We came across this beautiful hotel perched on the highest point of Daman and were amazed to see these fantastic Himalayan views. We looked down and we saw rolling hills thick with alpine forest and the Palung Valley far down below. Around the resort we could see forest of rhododendron cascading with every hue and colour.. The hotel offered good accommodation with heating, hot running water, internet and over 80 channel TV, besides very cosy and comfortable modern rooms..
Besides, some activities offered by the hotel such as pony treks, mountain biking, hike to the nearby monastery and local villages, sunset-sunrise excursion and spa facilities, we opted to embark on the Rhododendron and Orchid Trails. In the evening the resort had organized the cultural program with local shamans (mountain medicine men), who danced for hours on the hot fiery camp fire.with his wild dances and enchanting prayers to the forest deities.All these were quite exciting. Some of our friends opted to have a go at the disco, and while others went to watch the latest releases in the home theatre. More relaxing, we later heard from other fellow travelers was the jacuzzi and dry/hot sauna in the recreational building...

Later we were invited to have a mixer of Nepali and Indian foods served by the very friendly staff, who were very polite and courteous. The food was very delicious. We were offered other cuisines such as Chinese etc but we preferred to try the local foods.

Next morning, we heard " Good morning, Sir, Sunrise Tea" We quickly rushed to the hotels View Tower which had very powerful binoculars. The view that we saw was so magnificent that no words can describe it and do justice, as the entire Himalayan range: 8 out of 10 highest mountains in the world (almost the entire Himalaya of Nepal), including Everest was over pouring on the horizon with magical colours.

We are surprised that some of the reviews only dwelt with petty matters with minor things like mattresses or a smudge on the carpet etc. Perhaps they visited this place during the insurgency period when almost everything especially the hotels were closed down in Nepal during the civil war. I pity though.....they could have enjoyed so many good things that the Hotel Resort offered.

I will definitely return again and again to Everest Panorama Resort like many many other tourist from all over the world that we heard from other travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Main block overlooking the dense pine forest and the Palung Valley below. The villas we...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Robin S
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We were really lucky with the weather and got stunning views from the hotel, as it's at the highest point, which made the trip truly worthwhile for 2 nights. The hotel which was built about 20 years ago, is well run down now, as it suffered from lack of guests during the years of the insurgency. It clearly doesn't get many foreign visitors, so you could be the only ones in the rather dull restaurant. The Indian food was very good and breakfast was ok too, but we didn't sample their other meals which include continental dishes. The staff did everything to make us comfortable, but there are no room service phones and it's a way over to the restaurant if you want to order a drink etc. A waiter did come across and ask what we wanted for breakfast and evening meal and we had both in our room. The room we had was in a row of bungalows which were pleasant enough (with great view) but the bed was far too hard so sleep wasn't good. Being November it was cold and they supplied a hot water bottle at night, but the electric heater was not enough to warm the room much.The bathroom could do with a facelift. The other rooms in the main building looked a bit grim and cold. At another time of year it would probably all feel less unwelcoming. The grounds are very pleasant though, but overall the place feels neglected. We'd been put of going to Daman because we'd heard the road was very bad, but in fact it was such a relief when we turned off the busy polluted highway, that we enjoyed the scenic journey with very little traffic and the road surface was better than most in Nepal. It took 3 and half hours by car, passing through the lovely Palung valley, before reaching Daman. It's overpriced for what you get. We had a good time though, and went on some lovely local walks.

Room Tip: The highest up bungalow rooms are probably the best.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nepaleye
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Old rather run-down set-up but well worth a visit if the weather is good, just ffor the fabulous views of the Himalayas from Dhaulagiri to beyond Everest. Room (201)was okay, although the mattress was very uncomfortable and the bathroom a bit grotty. we were given hot water bottles by the helpful staff. The food was tasty (Indian). The manager was helpful and polite. But really, it's the view that counts here...definitely not luxury in the hills, but worth a visit for sure.

Room Tip: Cottages at the top of the site have best views.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nepalwatcher
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Honestly, I really don't mind roughing it, but this was a step too far... our night from hell in Daman began with the long, long walk to the accomodation and the freezing reception area. Despite looking like a British chalet holiday camp c. 1954, the room was filthy and damp and so cold. None of the heaters worked and there was no hot water... I was presented with a bucket of hot water to wash in. I used the hot water to try and keep warm along with the candles (blackout at 10pm). I wore everything I could find in my bag: improvised a hat out of swimming trunks and a scarf out of a vest. The food was served on freezing plates, so brandy was the only way of getting warm. A hot water bottle helped a bit, but I shivered and froze all night long in damp sheets, grateful for the 6am sunrise wake up call to get me the hell out of there. It seems that there's not a lot of accomodation options in Daman... so give Daman a miss. Sorry Daman.

• Stayed: November 2010
7  Thank Friend_of_Barbra
Reviewed September 12, 2010

i have booked this hotel threw their sales counter from ama dablam adventures. by a telephonic conversation he have told me 2200 Hunderd NPR when i went to the resort
i was told my room rent will be 2400 Hundred NPR. what a shame near the car parking by the Highway i have seen the tariff writen as 700 Single 1000 for double , i mentioned them this issue no one lesson to me. i was told funny stories like that price is for highway passers only. what a joke ....once we enterd our room all the furnitures , bed sheets & were full of dust belive me i took me allmost an hour to clean the wash basin
it was full of mud & black dirt.we were using two rooms my friends from U.A.E could not sleeped all night he says ghost were screming all night we were four guys all three of them have same experieance unfortunatly i did not had that sound but off course i were unable to sleep due to dust from the blanket coverd my face.this place is totaly run down Dead Place & has no life only ghost were in the area . not only that all the staffs here treat you so badly they always talk to us about tips that made us so upset. there are better small family run places to stay in daman & Never stay in Everest Panorama Resort it has zero value .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank RajaPokhara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daman
Hotel Ganesh Himal
#5 of 210 in Kathmandu
Kathmandu Friendly Home
Kathmandu Friendly Home
#109 of 210 in Kathmandu

Been to Everest Panorama Resort? Share your experiences!