“Basic but pleasant and good value”
Review of Sheila's Kitchen

Sheila's Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dunkirk
Cuisines: Diner, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed in the adjacent hotel for one night and didn’t fancy driving to find somewhere to eat; so we tried Sheila’s kitchen. For basically a roadside café, we were pleasantly surprised with the quality and quantity of food. Service was good, efficient and pleasant. Basically not much more than a Little Chef, but for a quick meal near the ferry port it was just what the Dr. ordered. £35 for two including a fair bit of wine( just to help us sleep obviously)

They make a point of feeding birds and squirrels and it was quite pleasant to watch them eating through the restaurant window.

1  Thank BobDrysdale

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Excellent place to eat, very varied table menu plus lots of locally sourced produce on the
specials board. Good service with very friendly staff in a good atmosphere very light and airy.
All in all a great place to eat I can thoroughly recommend Sheila's Kitchen.

1  Thank Pete R
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I had family staying at the Travelodge next door, whenever they came to us they would say how good the food was. On their last night I suggested we all pop in there for something to eat. So 9 of us turned up, not a problem, move tables how you want. Nice. Alcohol available, another plus for the lucky ones who were not driving. My aunt who knows I can be a fussy person, said "it is all cooked fresh, so don't complain about the time it takes". Ok I suppose I could try to not let that upset me. ordered drinks, duly came, ordered food, 1 person cooking, 1 person serving. Food arrived, very standard fare but nonetheless very nice and tasty. started to eat then remembered what my aunt had said. But it was quite quick to arrive, which was nice. another round of drinks thank you, would you like desserts? good idea, everyone had one and I can recommend the pancake stack, my, my, my, Very tasty indeed.
So that is 9 main courses, 9 desserts, 10 alcoholic drinks and 8 soft drinks.
Total Cost £138 bloody amazing, if it was a little chef you could have easily added another 70 quid to that.

Very nice staff, good honest food, good car park and clean toilets.
My only concern is that it was quiet, which is unfair because they deserve to be busier. I hope people actually give them a try

1  Thank dnboykent
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We dropped in here completely at random for a bite to eat after a visit to Bekesbourne Zoo as we were passing on the A2. The restaurant is a former 'Little Chef' outlet and according to the write up on the menu, is now being run by a former manager as an independent concern.
The building was light and airy and at one end looked out over a green area where wild birds (and a squirrel) visited the bird seed feeders which was quite relaxing. It was clean and tidy and there was a small area for young children to play which my granddaughter made full use of.
The staff all seemed friendly and the food was reasonably priced and there was a god choice to choose from. The food was cooked at the counter (as with many former 'Little Chef' premises) and delivered with minimal delay and was very good. The venue seemed to be well patronised with most tables in use by the time we left (early evening).
Visitors can either sit indoors or use the sizable outdoor seating as well. As you would expect, there is ample car parking.
Would consider using this restaurant again if I was using the A2 in this area.

1  Thank Stewart C
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was dreading the Travel Lodge 'Breakfast in a Bag' so when we saw Sheila's Kitchen, we decided to give it a go, and am so glad we did!

The prices for breakfast were very reasonable, and the food was fresh and of good quality. the service was excellent, from Sheila and her staff.

There was also a little playhouse for the kids.

The thing I liked best about this was that it was formerly a Little Chef that had closed, but has reopened as a separate independent business with lots of personal touches.

Will be visiting again, as it's an excellent stop off on our journey back from France!

1  Thank T1tch