“A great little independent!”
Review of Sheila's Kitchen

Sheila's Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dunkirk
Cuisines: Diner, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Llanfechain, United Kingdom
“A great little independent!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Sheila's Kitchen has taken up residence (just four weeks ago) in the former premises of a Little Chef at the Gate Service Area near Dunkirk and Canterbury, next to the Travelodge where I'm staying.

The Daily Specials chocked up on boards above the serving area reflect an emphasis on local Kent produce, so you will know the name of the farm down the road where your sirloin came from.

What I ordered, a late breakfast (well, seven at night) came promptly, well presented and with a smile. My fried egg was visibly fresh, the bacon was sweet and outstanding and the rest of the simple meal was well prepared and delicious.

I sat by the back window of the cavernous dining room and was constantly entertained by the wildlife. Bird feeders attracted a nice mix - finches, Tits, doves and a great spotted woodpecker. By the time I was tucking into lemon meringue pie two rabbits had appeared.

Just one suggestion - there must be somewhere local producing good quality ice cream, and not the Walls Economy Vanilla that came with my pie. Sheila, ice cream is a serious business!

The prices are good to reasonable. If i was to become a regular I know I would like to try the locally sourced steak and kidney pudding, the ham and leek pie and a steak. I think twelve Pounds for a locally sourced sirloin is reasonable, and I have no doubt it would be well prepared.

I wish Sheila and her team well. I just wish there were more great little independents like this to give the Little Chefs of this world a run for their money!

• Visited June 2013