“Excellent child-friendly country hotel with exceptional service and delicious food.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howfield Manor Hotel

Howfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chartham
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for one night in August 2012 when we visited with friends for a visit to Canterbury. We had 2 very large family size rooms with ensuites to accomodate ourselves and our 3 children. We were greeted by very friendly staff who showed us immediately to our rooms before serving us lunch in the bar area. With fussy children we had to make special requests from the lunch menu which were happily accomodated. The building itself is full of character, very attractive and has a marvelous history. There are lots of quirky corridors and nooks and crannies which make it fun for the children! The staff were excellent with the children and found them a massive box of outdoor play things like skittles and giant chess. In the evening we ate a most delicious meal cooked by the french chef- we had a massive platter with mixed grilled fish and fried potatos and grilled vegetables. Even after all this time I can still lick my lips thinking about it. This was followed by a taster of several desserts which negated the need to choose. Finally, as demonstration of how efficient and friendly the staff are, when we wished to stay up chatting after the normal bar closing time, we were settled in some comfy chairs with a bottle and before changeover at midnight the evening staff came to wish us good night and check we had all we needed before the night staff took over. Now that is service! We recommend this hotel whole heartedly and will visit again when in that part of the country.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I dumped the kids with grandparents in order to get some downtime. We weren't looking for anything too flash but appreciate good food and surroundings.

The hotel building and gardens are lovely. It's a bit of a shame that it's opposite industrial units but these are screened by trees and to be honest don't really affect the hotel once you're in. We were welcomed warmly and the receptionist walked us to our room. Initially the TV wouldn't display any channels but when we asked at reception someone quickly came and fixed it.

Dinner was good and sensibly priced. I was disappointed to only get 2 scallops for my starter and felt this was possibly a bit pathetic and would have liked a bit more food but this is maybe a personal thing and I was by no means still hungry. Breakfast was however a really good load up and service was spot on for both.

The room was well presented and clean but the problem was noise at night. There was a constant hum which I thought was the next room's bathroom blower but the sound proofing is poor and in the morning I could hear when they used their bathroom so maybe it's air conditioning. It wasn't their shower as that sounded like someone drilling the wall.! Everytime someone walked down the corridor the fire door made a load bang. I was woken by a 3 or 4 second burst of banging at 3.45am (not that sort of banging, it was like hammering). I can only think it was central heating.

I'm not sure I'd stay here again out of choice simply because of the noise at night but everything else was really good. If I was obliged to stay here as I was attending a wedding I would do so. We were there on a weekend when there wasn't a wedding, it might be a good idea to check Tripadvisor for reviews of weekend when there is one.

Room Tip: I'd mention that you've heard there is noise in the night due to bad soundproofing. There ar...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Osmotherley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came to Howfield Manor Hotel for a family wedding. Having travelled from Yorkshire we were greated by Friendly staff, and although our room wasn't ready on arrival we were shown to the lounge and brought a very welcome cup of tea whilst waiting. We had booked two family rooms and were extremely pleased with the size of the rooms, and actually had a four poster bed in ours which was an added bonus. We stayed for two nights, and couldn't fault the staff, who were fantastic throughout the visit.

The wedding was held at Howfield Manor and it was beautiful, the food for the Wedding breakfast and buffet at the evening do were lovely. Again nothing was too much trouble to Hayley and her team, special mention to Eduardo or Eddie as my kids call him. who was great.
The rooms were actually cheaper than I thought they were going to be too. Which is always something to be celebrated.

All in all a Fantastic place.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I got married here on 16th March 2013, and stayed for 2 nights.
We were made to feel extremely welcome and we could not praise the staff enough, especially Hayley who helped plan our big day from beginning to end. She made us feel at ease and could not have been more helpful and supportive.
The day ran smoothly, our food was excellent both during our sit down dinner and the buffet in the evening.
The waiting staff were excellent, a special mention for Remi and Eduardo who were working that day, who were always smiling and ready to help.

I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding, and the only reasons i am not giving this a higher rating is because 1) the room was not ready when I arrived, and 2) I slept poorly... I am certain the boiler was above my room (i think it was room 11) and I could hear this during the night.
The other guests (my family and friends) had no complaints about their sleep quality, infact reported a very good nights sleep.
Facilities in the room were excellent, very clean and comfortable.

Breakfast on both days was exceptional, lots of choice, served promptly by friendly staff (thankyou Abby and Eduardo).

The setting is lovely, I have read other reviews which mention being opposite industrial buildings, which it is (and does this really matter?), however you do not notice this when on the grounds which are well tended to, and old manor building is lovely.

Excellent location for visiting Canterbury, alternatively an excellent choice if you want to get away from the city.

I will definitely be coming back with my family, and would especially recommend Howfield Manor to anyone wanting to get married or for a venue for a special occasion.

Huge thanks again to Hayley and the wonderful staff at Howfield Manor for making our Wedding day perfect :)

Room Tip: Ask where the boiler is situated as i believe this kept me awake
1 Thank Jules8693
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Howfield Manor Hotel describes itself on its website as a Country House Hotel. It is situated within pleasant grounds and the exterior building itself is attractive, but it is located opposite industrial buildings.

We stayed for a weekend to attend a wedding in Chilham. The interior needs updating and the rooms are now tired looking. The first thing I noticed when entering our room was that the carpet had not been hoovered that well, but we did not complain about that because it was more important that we had some toilet roll delivered! I mean how basic is that! The room was far too hot and remained so throughout the night despite turning off the radiator. We were also above the kitchen so we were woken up early. There is little sound proofing between rooms.

The breakfast experience was a comedy of errors. There was basically one guy serving. (although he should have been able to cope with the number of people) There were 3 of us so we asked for a table for 3. The one table laid for 3 had already been used and was not cleared for the whole hour that we were there. (In fact no tables were cleared!) The waiter looked at us as if we were aliens, but eventually 2 tables were placed together. He then left us for 10 minutes before taking our order for tea or coffee and giving us a menu. After 15 more minutes we still hadn't ordered, so we asked the waiter if we could order and he promptly took our menus away! He didn't have any paper with him to take orders so more delay! Eventually our order was taken and when the breakfast arrived it was surprisingly good, which is why I haven't given this hotel a worse rating.

Things were a lot better the following morning, but when asked how our stay had been I mentioned the problem of waiting for 25 minutes to order breakfast the previous morning and the reception staff said "Yes, we heard about that". So what exactly had they done about it and what about an apology?

I really don't like being negative and almost all my reviews have been very positive, but I feel that this review must be a honest refection of our experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We enjoyed a birthday meal here last year whilst visiting our granddaughter at the University. This week we enjoyed another meal and an excellent overnight stay. The staff here are so caring and helpful with a friendly, efficient and professional manner. The room was a good size (No.12) with lovely views over the hotel gardens and surrounding countryside. The room was well equipped, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom had exceptionally good fluffy towels! Everywhere was spotlessly clean. Breakfast was very good with an excellent choice of cooked foods as well as cereals, fruit etc. The evening meal was first class.

The building is very old but really well maintained. The weather was exceptionally cold and the downstairs rooms were perhaps just a bit chilly. It would certainly be nice to see an open fire burning.

Our one night stay here was relaxed and enjoyable, and we will be returning next week for another one. We expect to be frequent visitors to Canterbury and Howfield Manor would certainly be our first choice of accommodation. It certainly is excellent value for money with a carinng team who strive to make your stay comfortable. We consider this a very lucky find and recommend it to you without reservation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Staff are friendly and helpful,The breakfast was nice, our room was in the older part of the building and the water spluttered before starting, the toilet seat fell off. The beds where OK but nothing special.. There was a bad odour in the bathroom at times. Quirky hotel but I enjoyed my one night stay there, probably because the staff were so friendly. I feel the price was quite high compared with other similar hotels I'v stayed in but that is probably because of the location. Canterbury is a tourist location.

Room Tip: newer part of building has the bigger rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David S, Manager at Howfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Madam
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review Howfield. I apologise for the problems you encountered with the toilet seat. Housekeeping check the bathrooms and I have re-reminded them on this account.

Maintaining a building of this size and character is an on-going process and much more demanding than modern, although less characterful, purpose built hotels.

I have checked the room for any odours and all seems fine to me. It is an historic building and while the water my splutter very occasionally this is rare and the plumber has been on site to remove any air.

I have taken note of and acted on your comments, although I do think your by-line pun “Faulty Towers” is on this occasion a little harsh both on the hotel and the team that hosts our guests.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chartham
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
#4 of 17 in Canterbury
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#13 of 17 in Canterbury

Been to Howfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!