“Wonderful Surprise”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Norfolk
“Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Friends took us (Saturday 24th Nov) and we were delighted with the surroundings and the ambience. This was a comfortable, welcoming and elegant place, with pleasant and attentive staff. First impressions were that this was an exellent choice.
The menu was not overly complicated but had a wide variety of dishes, and it was a challenge to choose, as everything sounded nice.
When the food arrived we were impressed with the presentation, and the imaginative combinations of flavours were excellent. Everything was cooked perfectly. The wine list was very reasonably priced and the wines were good quality.
We do not live in the area, but would definitely visit Broome Park again when in Kent.

1 Thank Sheila B
ChivesGreen, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for you lovely review, always appreciated by the whole team. The chefs are constantly working on new ideas and the front of house team on how to make your visit more and more enjoyable.
We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Kent, please let us know if you would like to be kept informed of any special menus and events.
With very kind regards

Debbie, Graham & all the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kent, UK
“A Taste of the high life!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

A cold, windy and dark evening met with beautiful historic and architecturally pleasing surroundings; open fires, sumptuous decorations and a wonderful stocked bar.
The warm atmosphere and courteous, attentive staff complimented the overall experience.
We have been lucky enough to have tasted Chives catering on several occasions and therefore our anticipation for great food was extremely high; And of course we were not disappointed!
My wife had bought us the Travel Zoo coupon for a seven course taster menu, consisting of canapés and a glass of Prosecco; a rich and thick soup; a warm salad topped with a perfectly poached egg; tasty fragrant hake; succulent venison, terrine, and chicken liver pate; Beef Wellington and a very generous cheese board, (for me) or a trio of desserts for the sweeter tooth.
The presentation of all these dishes was excellent, with exquisite flavours and food combinations. We really couldn’t ask for more, the food was exciting, we left satisfied, with full stomachs and we would have happily paid the full price.
A truly wonderful evening - congratulations to Debbie & Graham; we wish you every success for the future and look forward to dining with you again very soon.
We would also recommend the chocolate wine for an added flavour explosion.

• Visited November 2012
We are so pleased that we surpassed your expectations, always our aim! Every customer is important to us and it is wonderful that our regular customers also find the time to write reviews. We know how important reviews are for people looking for a new place to dine and we just want everyone to enjoy the beautiful surroundings of Broome Park whilst enjoying incredible food and great service.
We look forward to seeing youy again soon

England
“Taster Treat”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our taster was purchased as a surprise birthday gift for hubby. We purchased 2 vouchers so 4 of us could enjoy. Unfortunately through my mistake we were unable to share the vouchers due to simply logistics & timing - it didn't help I thought the voucher was valid until Nov 2013. So, we had to attend both taster evenings within a fortnight before voucher ran out. Such a waste & a huge shame as if I'd planned us to eat there twice, I would've loved to have sampled the Summer tasting menu & then perhaps the Autumnal one not twice in one week.
Our first evening was lovely however, much to my surprise the second meal & evening we both actually enjoyed a lot more than the first - bizarrely as it was exactly the same menu. We've enjoyed tasting menus before in some wonderful restaurants. To compare like for like would be unfair as the evenings were very different, with a totally different perspective & attitude towards their interpretation of 'tasting' & the food served. Perhaps it was therefore our expectations which were a little too high, consequently the first evening I think we were both quietly disappointed, expecting food to be of a much higher quality with many more exciting flavours. We also contemplated if our missing guests would've enjoyed it as much as the last taster menu we all enjoyed. We decided yes they probably would enjoy it, but maybe not quite so much of a luxurious novelty as previous experiences.
The following Wednesday, must admit neither of us were looking forward to driving quite a distance again for our 2nd. If we hadn't already paid I doubt we would've returned so quickly. However, I am so pleased we did & so pleased we did get to indulge twice as the 2nd tasting experience was far more enjoyable than anticipated. Not sure if this was because our expectations changed. Thankfully, there was a slight change in one of the courses so it wasn't all a repeat, wood pigeon was served as opposed to lamb. Hubby ate mine as it seemed completely rare except for a flash of heat applied to the outer layer & simply too gamey for my taste. Whereas I loved the lamb. The wood pigeon looked cooked to perfection if blood rare is to your liking. Now the hake was absolutely delicious, as was the celeriac. Hubby was a little disappointed as he doesn't like the flavour of celeriac so he truly missed the potato in any form. The pork in pastry I thought was pleasant enough, but as hubby didn't like any of the veg except mange tout I gave him my little piece in exchange for his veg. Surprisingly hubby asked if it was a posh sausage roll , :) so I guess he didn't get its uniqueness either. I have to agree with the supposed cost of the taster menu, there is no way it would be worth full price but then we never expected it to, the vouchers are to support & encourage business not a bankruptcy deal.
We experienced a place we'd never been to & enjoyed the pleasures. The staff are adorable, great service & very friendly & efficient - although the first week I think they forgot about us as we had quite a wait for our last course. Second week no such delay, perfect equal duration between all courses. We also very much appreciated the bottles of water being brought to the table as well as usual drinks.
All in all we loved our short time at Chives on the Green. We still would like to return with our guests at some point in the future. I'd also like to stay & have a wee break in such lovely surroundings. I adore buildings & gardens - both look superb & worthy of exploration. Really would like to return, maybe Spring or Summer.

• Visited November 2012
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your two tasting evenings and we look forward to welcoming you back, We would of extended your voucher if we had known. We do appreciate your taking the time to write a review, it is really important for the team to receive feedback & of course for future diners to read such positive reviews. Do let us know when you would like to return and we can advise how you can check for accommodation.

With very kind regards

New Romney, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Taster Menu - glad I didn't pay full price”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I booked a taster menu through Travelzoo and was really looking forward to the meal. It was however very disappointing. Pretty much everything was under seasoned and I don't like a lot of salt! The staff were generally very good and the wine menu was reasonabley priced. Here's my run down on the food. The positives... very nice soup, hake was cooked very well and excellent local cheese board. The negatives... poor canapes, a quenelle which was a ball, puff pastry without any puff, overcooked pork. I will not be returning, nor would I recommend it to anyone else, The standard price for the taster menu is £49.50, I would not have paid! Staff were very attentive to the feedback given and we didn't have to pay for the bottle of wine we ordered. We got talking to a couple at another table who were similarly unimpressed. Still, you don't know if you don't try!

• Visited November 2012
ChivesGreen, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy all of the menu, as I responded to the previous review it is hard to find dishes that everyone enjoys, as shown between these two reviews as you dined on the same evening. A fellow guest who sat alongside you told me on the way out that she had heard your complaint and wanted me to know that she loved the pork and it was her favourite dish of the night whilst not enjoying the hake but that has been her husbands favourite and he had happily eaten both!

But every guests views are very important to us and I will pass on your feedback to the chefs, and we do hope that you will come back and dine with us again but on our regular dinner menus where you can choose your dishes.

I am glad that you enjoyed the overall experience and our service at Broome Park and thank you once again for your constructive feedback.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Special birthday dinner in the restaurant, large birthday ball the following weekend”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

The meal in the restaurant was fantastic, I phoned in advance to ask if we could have something off menu and they were brilliantly accommodating and put steak on the menu, very impressed. The food was absolutely superb, the baked Alaska was nearly as big as my daughters head!
Party-again, fantastic food, the lady organising everything was really really helpful, everything went like clockwork. I had booked the function room until 12 midnight, after the whole amazing experience I was really upset and horrified that,as people stood up from tables, staff started stacking chairs etc. a member of staff turned off our music at about 11pm..... It has taken me nearly 9 months to calm down from this to be able to write an objective review. I love Broome Park, the restaurant etc but I am still really upset that my birthday ball was cut short and the room set up for a wedding with half of an hour still to go................please, if planning a wedding/party/function here.... Don't get caught out as I did. An absolutely amazing experienced... Soured by an abrupt ending!

ChivesGreen, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
We have contacted Marie to discuss the end of her party, and to say that we would respond to her review.
We are of course so dissapointed that Marie was let down at the end of her evening, We had only been at Broome Park a short time and we still had many of the staff from the previous caterer in place, we were unaware that they had been trained to clear down as soon as they thought the event was over, Laura was horrified when she saw what was happening and stopped them but it was probably too late, anyone who we have catered for either at Broome or at outside events will know that this is not how we operate, There wasn't even an event the next day and not a wedding until June, our policy is not to take a booking for an event the night before a wedding for this very reason. We have even stopped catering at venues that have a policy of' ' lights on, it's time to go.' For us as Chives the sad part is after working hard to rebuild Broome Parks reputation as a venue, possible clients will read this and may not see that it was nine months ago and much training later this would not happen now.
We look forward to welcoming Marie and her family back to Broome Park soon and we do trust that prospective clients will not be deterred.