“Disappointing Taster Menu - glad I didn't pay full price”
Review of Chives on the Green Restaurant - CLOSED

Chives on the Green Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New Romney, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Taster Menu - glad I didn't pay full price”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I booked a taster menu through Travelzoo and was really looking forward to the meal. It was however very disappointing. Pretty much everything was under seasoned and I don't like a lot of salt! The staff were generally very good and the wine menu was reasonabley priced. Here's my run down on the food. The positives... very nice soup, hake was cooked very well and excellent local cheese board. The negatives... poor canapes, a quenelle which was a ball, puff pastry without any puff, overcooked pork. I will not be returning, nor would I recommend it to anyone else, The standard price for the taster menu is £49.50, I would not have paid! Staff were very attentive to the feedback given and we didn't have to pay for the bottle of wine we ordered. We got talking to a couple at another table who were similarly unimpressed. Still, you don't know if you don't try!

• Visited November 2012
ChivesGreen, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy all of the menu, as I responded to the previous review it is hard to find dishes that everyone enjoys, as shown between these two reviews as you dined on the same evening. A fellow guest who sat alongside you told me on the way out that she had heard your complaint and wanted me to know that she loved the pork and it was her favourite dish of the night whilst not enjoying the hake but that has been her husbands favourite and he had happily eaten both!

But every guests views are very important to us and I will pass on your feedback to the chefs, and we do hope that you will come back and dine with us again but on our regular dinner menus where you can choose your dishes.

I am glad that you enjoyed the overall experience and our service at Broome Park and thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Special birthday dinner in the restaurant, large birthday ball the following weekend”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

The meal in the restaurant was fantastic, I phoned in advance to ask if we could have something off menu and they were brilliantly accommodating and put steak on the menu, very impressed. The food was absolutely superb, the baked Alaska was nearly as big as my daughters head!
Party-again, fantastic food, the lady organising everything was really really helpful, everything went like clockwork. I had booked the function room until 12 midnight, after the whole amazing experience I was really upset and horrified that,as people stood up from tables, staff started stacking chairs etc. a member of staff turned off our music at about 11pm..... It has taken me nearly 9 months to calm down from this to be able to write an objective review. I love Broome Park, the restaurant etc but I am still really upset that my birthday ball was cut short and the room set up for a wedding with half of an hour still to go................please, if planning a wedding/party/function here.... Don't get caught out as I did. An absolutely amazing experienced... Soured by an abrupt ending!

ChivesGreen, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
We have contacted Marie to discuss the end of her party, and to say that we would respond to her review.
We are of course so dissapointed that Marie was let down at the end of her evening, We had only been at Broome Park a short time and we still had many of the staff from the previous caterer in place, we were unaware that they had been trained to clear down as soon as they thought the event was over, Laura was horrified when she saw what was happening and stopped them but it was probably too late, anyone who we have catered for either at Broome or at outside events will know that this is not how we operate, There wasn't even an event the next day and not a wedding until June, our policy is not to take a booking for an event the night before a wedding for this very reason. We have even stopped catering at venues that have a policy of' ' lights on, it's time to go.' For us as Chives the sad part is after working hard to rebuild Broome Parks reputation as a venue, possible clients will read this and may not see that it was nine months ago and much training later this would not happen now.
We look forward to welcoming Marie and her family back to Broome Park soon and we do trust that prospective clients will not be deterred.
Ashford, United Kingdom
“First class”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I treated my partner to the 7 course grazing menu using a Travelzoo voucher as a birthday treat.
Broome Park is a stunning building in a stunning setting...would have liked to have seen it in daylight. Very comfy bar with squashy sofas (which are almost impossible to get out of!) and a roaring fire. Had a very nice glas of wine in there before being shown through to the very comfortable restaurant.
The food was stunning...I loved every course...although I was struggling a bit towards the end. Very reasonably priced wine list as well. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful.
Would love to go back there again

• Visited November 2012
ChivesGreen, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you back to Broome Park, if you filled in a comment card we will contact you with details of new menus and special events. Otherwise please do call us and leave your email address.

We know that with the taster menu there may be some dishes that won't suit everyone, so I am very happy that you loved it all.

Our new restaurant menus are on our website and we are open for lunch everyday except Monday so that you can come and see us in the daylight.

With very kind regards, Debbie
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Yummy”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My lovely friend treated me to the 7 course taster menu and what a lovely evening it was. Yes the beautiful old building is in need of some refurbishment including the dining room but it did not spoil the experience at all. The staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. The food was wonderful, I have had taster menus in various restaurants but this menu was by far the best yet, I would say I thought the portion sizes were quite big so struggled by the time I chose cheese at the end. The food quality was excellent and delicious. We had a great experience at "Chives on the Green" and I am recommending it to friends and family and you.

• Visited October 2012
WeaversKent, Owner at Chives on the Green Restaurant, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you so much, it was lovely to receive such positive feedback, always makes the team feel good and that it is all going to plan, so yes please tell all your friends & family and come back and see us soon.
Did you leave your email details so that we can stay in touch and send you details of special evenings we will be planning in the future & of course our pamper days.

Till we see you again, thank you from all the team
Debbie & Graham
London
“Opposite ends of the spectrum!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I are members of the Broome Park Owners Club and we dined at this restaurant on two occasions very recently. As I don't think I can submit two reviews for the same place, at the same time, I will have to combine them and as a consequence the overall rating is only average.
My wife and I dined on a Saturday night and the food was absolutely fantastic. It was perfectly cooked and presented and served to a very high standard. The new team (we last dined there at this time last year) are very professional and nothing is too much trouble. The experience was an absolute pleasure.
Now moving on to our party of six. We had TravelZoo vouchers for the seven course tasting menu for our final night. Again the table service was impeccable and the presentation of the food was very impressive. However we found the food to be, at best average and the breast of pigeon was almost completely rare. Only two of our party could actually manage to finish the course.
This was a great shame and seeing other reviews from people that have thoroughly enjoyed the same menu I wonder if perhaps we were just unlucky!
This will not stop us from visiting the restaurant when we return to Broome Park next year. We would like to offer a special thank you to the head waiter who's name we unfortunately did not take but she always wore a lilac coloured blouse as she is a credit to the front of house side of the restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
Thank you for your review, you could have written two reviews but it was good that the service etc.. was equally excellent on both nights, I believe that you discussed the wood pigeon with Becky that evening, we do provide two meat courses on the tasting menu, so that if the wood pigeon isn't to your liking there will be another meat dish to follow. Wood pigeon is very lean and has to be cooked very rare or it will become tough, but I am sorry that you didn't enjoy this course.

Glenys is the lovely lady you refer to and I will ensure she sees your review along with the rest of the team, so I thank you for your honesty and your very positive comments regarding Chives at Broome Park, we are nearing our first full year and are constantly striving to improve so all feedback is very much appreciated. We won't be happy until we have five full stars but appreciate that we can't always please everyone but we will keep trying, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit and if you wish to try the grazing menu again we will provide an alternative to the pigeon! With kind regards from us all.Debbie, Graham & the team