“Great place to stay and location”
Review of Hotel Mont Vernon

Hotel Mont Vernon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cul de Sac
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I actually stayed here via air bnb and it was a great location. Right on the beach, with a deck and kitchen. It is right by Grand Case and Marigot. There is a big supermarket nearby. You really need to rent a car. It is right on Orient Beach, probably a mile from the main Orient Beach area. Easy to walk on the beach. A couple of times we just walked down to the beach and saw the sunrise and sunset. The parking and getting around the complex wasn't as bad as the other reviews have said. I guess it depends where your apt is located. I was pretty close to the pool.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view.
3  Thank CNP_NYC
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mont Vernon

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We just got back from St.Martin last week. We rented 2 units from Amaury and his brother. Both units in Sabo bld. were clean, everything was functioning properly, no complains, great view, the beach is very nice. The kitchenette was perfectly adequate for cooking breakfast or a small meal ( we had a 2 year old child with us, so did some cooking every day ). We bought groceries at the supermarket , although their fresh fruit and veggie selection was truly atrocious. As the others mentioned, the climb from the parking to your unit is not an easy one if you have health issues ,especially in the heat, so do not underestimate that! You will need to carry in your luggage, groceries and you will need to take out your own garbage to the dump at the gate!
When you book, do find out if you need to buy your own toilet paper and garbage bags ( we did ) , and how to request cleaning and linen service ( we washed towels ourselves, they will get misty in a few days)
The property itself is so so, the buildings need to be painted and maintained better, but the greenery is maintained nicely and is quite pretty. Curiously, there are a lot of cats on the property, thus urine smell , especially on the lower floor.
A few things to mention for those who will be bringing their young children with them :
The pool area has plenty of shade, but there are no chairs or umbrellas on the beach itself. Our baby desperately wanted to play in the sand and it was a challenge to keep her from burning up, even with clothes and sunblock. In hind site, i wish we rented an umbrella and chairs from Amaury, it would have made our lives easier, as she was too bored in the pool area
The ocean too rough for a small child , there are waves . You will need to hold your child constantly while in the ocean, which they of course don't like and they never want to get out of the water because its so much fun ( as opposed to the pool , where you can just stand nearby and let them play to their heart's content ). but there is a kiddy pool .
There really isn't much to do on the property for kids other then the beach / pool, plan accordingly

The food is great on the island, but pricey, over $100 for dinner for 2 ppl, but you can score slightly cheaper meals for lunch. Grand Case is the place to visit, its nearby and has multiple restaurants , some right on the water. I loved their bread, and there is a bakery on the road to the 'hotel' ( and a french - Cajun restaurant)

Do get a car, you wont regret it, the island is quite picturesque

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank biana d
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We found this rental through VRBO. We should have paid more attention to the reviews. The parking at the property was really hard to manage to get to our unit with luggage. It was uphill. After weather conditions made us miss our connecting flight, we did not arrive in St. Marten until 9:30 p.m. We contacted the owner originally and she had us contact her property manager. When we called the property manager she instructed us on how to get to our unit. She also told us that she would have to charge us if we wanted her to come show us the unit (she lives on the property but I guess it was too late for her). We couldn't find the unit and finally got the security to take us to our unit with their golf cart so our luggage would not be so burdensome. The next day when we did talk with the property manager, we told her that the ceiling fan was making a terrible noise, we asked her to show us how to use the TV and that the refrigerator wasn't working properly. We went to the supermarket the first day and got food and drinks.

Our ceiiling fan was never fixed. The refrigerator quit working and we had to throw our food away after a couple of days. We had to buy ice each day and it was not cheap ($2.50 a bag) which melted each day. The TV was okay. The owner did deduct a minimal amount from our balance of the rental.

The parking was far from our unitl and when we left each day, the hike was bad.

1  Thank Srfranks55
Reviewed March 19, 2014

As have many others, we rented from Amaury and Thibault who own Bistrot Caraibes in Grand Case. They were great to work with, and I would recommend them highly. I never used VBRO or HomeAway before this trip, so I didn't know what to expect. I contacted them about one of their units and they advised that the one on the web that I saw was not available. They promptly sent me pictures of the unit we stayed in, and it was just as they described. It provided us the means to eat our breakfast on the balcony everyday while we looked out over the ocean. We had dinner in the room 2 of our 11 nights on the balcony too.
The beach on the North side of Orient bay is NOT crowded at all. There may have been 40 people in a 200 yard stretch of beach at the most crowded times. The sand was soft, and although there were some waves, the beach sloped gently into the ocean.
We walked down the beach for lunch most days, as there are several good restaurants right on the beach just a five minute walk from Mont Vernon.
The pool was recently re-lined and the area around the pool provided plenty of shade for all who wanted it. It is the French side of the island, so there were several topless sun bathers of all shapes and sizes both at the pool and the beach.
Since we stayed for 11 nights, we opted for linen service and cleaning one time. You can get that daily if you choose to do so. I saw no point. The unit has a washer in it and a very functional kitchenette.
We ate at Bistrot Caraibes in Grand Case and I'll review that in detail in another review. All I will say here is GO THERE TO EAT!!! You won't be disappointed.!!

2  Thank Henry A
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We’ve stayed almost three weeks in this studio apartment and we enjoyed every second of our stay.
Being part of the former Hotel Mont Vernon (now converted into private owned condo’s) the apartment is situated on the east side of the island, ensuring you a nice refreshing wind all day long. The apartment is situated right in front of the ocean and is literally a few steps away from the beautiful Orient Bay beach and a spacious pool. The view from the terrace is stunning, especially in the early morning. The premises is lying on a hillside so be prepared for a firm walk from and to the parking (cars are not allowed to park next to the buildings).
The furniture and decoration of the apartment are in a warm colonial style. The studio is cleverly divided into a sleeping area and a living area. The king size bed is very comfortable. The couch can be turned into a sofa bed, so the apartment is also suitable for families with young children. The kitchen is fully equipped and the bathroom is nice and functional.
There is free wireless internet, TV with eight American channels (e.g. CNN, NBS, ESPN) and several French channels. There is a DVD-player, a CD-player and some books (English and French). There is ample information and maps of the island available for you to prepare (and take on) your tours.
The owners, Christian and Chantal, are very nice and warm people. Our flight was delayed by more than 9 hours and all the shops were closed upon arrival. Chantal had bought us bread and groceries, as a service. The owners also invite you for a trip on their private boat. This is an absolute must do!
We recommend this condo to everyone and we will most certainly come back here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ariebeukenoot
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

The Mont Vernon is excellent value for location and view of a Orient Beach! Room we rented for 4 weeks is average. This is not a luxurious residence as it was once a hotel and rooms are now studios which are quite adequate for beach lovers! This is not a good place for those with mobility problems or not in good health to walk a distance or climb steps. Parking at the lower level parking lot leaves a lot to be desired as it is not paved and very rough and very muddy when it rains. So is a deterrent for us coming back as we tired of the rough road to drive each day and the challenge to get a suitable space to park. The new pool is beautiful and the nearness of beach was so convenient. The price is very good if on limited budget. Just beware of your limitations if you are seniors and planning on staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Connie S
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have been visiting this island for many years, about twice a years for three weeks each time. I was comming at Mont-Vernon, trying different studio, looking for the perfect one, and this time, I found it. The place has a full view on the ocean. I mean, that is all you can see anywhere you are in the room. Even sitting on your bed. It is clean. It has a patio and an easy acces. Price is cheap,420 euro a week. The owner just bought the place so I hope they don't raise their price. I really enjoyed the view and it is close to the pool.
I want to warn you tho, you have to be carefull witch room you pick. Not all of them are clean and I had one with bugs one time. I had to relocated quick. Some other studios have not been renovated and are not really nice to stay in. If the owner tells you that you have a view on ''Water'' make sure it's not on the pound. The view on the pound isn't ''Bad'', you can see nice sunset on that pound but it is really not the nicest view you can get and usually, you can find ocean view for the same price. And then again, ocean view can be pretty far from the sea. Try to get ''Première ligne de mer'' it really is your best pick. I did experimented water and electricity cut-off in the past but it seems like these issues have been fixed since. I didn't had them at all this years. It is a little hard to find a place to park your car and you often have to walk a little bit to reach your studio but it is an easy walk if you are in healty shape (Harder for people with an handicap). They did an underground parking, if you can find someone to rent you a spot, it is the best solution. The renovation at the pool are finished and they will now add a security guard to watch the entrance from the beach since some people from outside were entering by the beach to use the pool. The association of owner seems to be doing good decision for the place and I thing this place will gain with the years, A little bit of paint here and there on the buildings wouldn't hurt but when you get a nice studio, it becomes a detail. Grass and garden are not that nice neither but of course you are not going to an all included five star hotel. There is good restaurant at proximity, my favorite one beeing ''Villa Pizza'' for it's low price, good service and good food. Quality-price is excellent over there and from 10 to 15 euro you can eat to satisfaction. When I come I rent a car. Through the years, I have learn to bargain and I don't pay more then 120$ a week. I rent on the Dutch side, next to the airport. Carefull not to park your car next to pinel island for the night. I had my four tires stolen one time. There is not much criminality on the island but you still have to be carefull.

Room Tip: Aruba building room number 3101 has been my best choice soo far.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
LOVE
LOVE
#4 of 8 in Grand Case
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

Been to Hotel Mont Vernon? Share your experiences!