“Causal evening with great food”
Review of Au Grain De Sel - CLOSED

Au Grain De Sel
Cuisines: French, Moroccan, Pizza
Description: Trditional French cooking, varied menu. Over 35 different thin crust pizzas with topping inspired by the great regional recipes of France and elsewhere.Full bar, spacious dining room and large private parking . Always tranquil
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The greek salad and pizza with creme were absolutely fantastic. Nice people that take good care of you to ensure you have plenty of food and drink. This place won't break your wallet yet you will feel like you are in Europe. The owners make your food and take care to ensure that you like what they made. It is a very causal place where you can also just have a few drinks and talk about the day. We stopped there after very long days-hiking Saba and partying on a trip to Anguilla. Both times the owners were glad to be of service, serving us and chatting with us in French and English as needed. These are nice people with the kitchen skills of real chefs.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I ate here our last night on the island and are glad we stopped in. We were greeted by one of the owners when we arrived and allowed to choose our table. We had a slight problem communicating as one owner didn't speak much English while the other spoke a little. Between their limited English and my even more limited French we were able to converse. Our pizza was quite good and there wasn't a morsel left when we finished eating! The pizza selection was so extensive it covered two pages of the menu. The restaurant had two cats that were wandering around in the dining area and they were both quite friendly. If we're back in St. Martin we'll be back for pizza again.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My Wife & I went here last night. Low season, pretty empty but they tried so hard to impress.
We had a bottle of wine, shared a Greek Salad, thin crust pizza both were awesome & and the rib eye (a bit fatty for me but my wife loved it).
Overall cheap, cute & very friendly. Definitely will go again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The wife and I stopped here while they were closed for mid day cleaning and we spoke with the owners (as best we could... we need to learn french) about when they would re-open. We were there around 2 and they explained that they were closed for cleaning but if we wanted to hang around and have some drinks until they opened at 5 they would love to have us, we thought this was so nice but we just decided to drive around and come back later.

Ambiance:
Wonderful vibe in the restaurant, classic looking shutters with a nice breeze rolling through

Service:
Lovely people, very welcoming and grateful. Our service was attentive and brought a small dish of olives when we were seated. I thought this was a nice touch.

Food:
Sub par. There is a window to the kitchen and we saw our pepperonis being placed on the pizza.. from a Hormel bag.. I know it's probably a somewhat common practice but it just tainted the experience of being in a French country with interesting ingredients etc... The pizza wasn't that good. The lovely woman who served us asked if we would like desert, she recommended the Tiramisu so we ordered one to share. She brought two (language barrier? we didn't mention it.. we each ate our own) and they were prepared in little flimsy plastic tart bowl things.. It tasted off but we kind of ate some and then stopped.. she mentioned after she saw that we didn't really eat it that it was made with Amaretto instead of coffee.. It was odd.

Overall:
We loved this place, the building and the people who run it but unfortunately we couldn't talk ourselves into liking anything coming out of the kitchen except the people. It may seem like a harsh rating, but it is not often that I stop eating what is in front of me when I'm hungry and that was unfortunately the case.

1  Thank Engagechad
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Had dinner here with my family during our stay in the culdesac and it was amazing.. The pizza crust was thin and perfect for my taste! Would definitely recommend for anyone visiting this area. The family that owns the place was so kind and welcoming as well!