“Wonderful Day”
Review of Caribbean Paddling

Caribbean Paddling
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer everyday eco-friendly adventures to Pinel Island in St Maarten. Rent a tandem kayak for the family or a single kayak for a solo trip, give paddle board a try and discover the ocean like you've never seen it before! With very affordable prices, you can spend an incredible day with our kayaks or stand up paddle board (SUP) on Pinel Island! Explore the keys, have a photo break on the sandbar, and lunch in one of the two restaurants on Pinel Island, Karibuni or Yellow Beach! Booking ahead of time is strongly advised, especially during high season between Christmas and April.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Day”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

As first time paddlers, we were a bit nervous about going out by ourselves, but it was AMAZING. Very reasonably priced and the staff was very helpful. They even give you a waterproof bag to protect your towel and other items as you are out on the water. Our paddle across the bay to Pinel Island was spectacular - gorgeous boats in the harbor and even sea turtles swimming with us. Such a great way to spend half a day.

Note: we had a little bit of trouble finding exactly where Caribbean Paddling was located. Follow signs into Cul-de-Sac and go to the marina/harbor. They are located in a small stand on the left side of the parking lot (to the left of the water taxi to Pinel Island). There is a huge parking lot there as well.

Visited April 2013
Oswen, Owner at Caribbean Paddling, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your great comment and details! See you soon!

Regards,

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worst excursion of our trip as he was a no show! His taxi driver also scammed us and was late.”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Book somewhere else!!! It started by the driver recommended by Oz from Caribbean Paddling showing up an hour late. We had to call to get picked up after waiting and wondering looking for him. He said he just got busy washing his car and spaced us out.

When we arrived at Caribbean Paddling it was closed and the driver couldn't reach Oz by phone even though Oz did require a deposit via Paypal to hold the spot. We waisted several hours of our time on the island trying to paddle Board. The driver then took us to Orient beach which is a wonderful place, just go there and bypass Caribbean Paddling.

The driver wanted $60 to take us to the the excursion that didn't happen then to the beach Beach. It was only a 5 minute detour. We were told $40 to begin with. The return trip with another taxi was $24. Don't use this Beothany as a driver.

All Caribbean Paddling is is a few Boards and Kayaks stuck in a little shed, maybe 8'x10' There are a lot of other options.

Oz did refund us our deposit but claimed to have had reserved it for the following day even though the Paypal says the date. Be wary!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Obtorg
Oswen, Owner at Caribbean Paddling, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
First of all, I want to apologize for your experience. I know you only had one day on St. Martin, and it must have been very disappointing and frustrating not to be able to do the excursion you had planned. I’d like to offer you a full week of free kayak and stand-up paddleboard rental the next time you return to our beautiful island. As you can see from all the other positive reviews, your experience was extremely unusual and I really want you to have the true Caribbean Paddling experience–smooth rental, excellent equipment, and awesome adventures on the gorgeous turquoise waters of St. Martin.

I also want to apologize for the mix-up about the date. Under normal circumstances, this mix-up would not have prevented you from having an amazing paddleboard excursion, since staff would have been at the Caribbean Paddling counter, but on the rare days when the weather is inclement (or unusually windy, like the day you were on St. Martin), and we don’t have clients on the schedule, we do close. I take my business and my clients’ satisfaction very seriously, so I want you to know that I looked into why I had you on the schedule for Sunday rather than Saturday, found what led to it, and I have just instituted a new system of double-checks and confirmations to prevent this type of mistake in the future.

Thank you for letting me know about your experience with your driver. Every part of my customers’ experience is important to me, and I appreciate you telling me about this. I will not be recommending that driver to clients in the future.

I built the Caribbean Paddling stand myself. There are photos of it that anyone can check out on our caribbeanpaddling.com site, and also on our facebook.com/caribbeanpaddling page since many of my customers like to pose in front of it before they leave on their adventure. Even though the office is a small, funky little beach kiosk, that’s really all you need for this kind of business. I didn’t see the need to pass on the cost of a fancy air-conditioned store to my customers (one way I keep my prices the lowest on the island). What is important for a kayak and paddleboard business is the quality of the equipment, and I am proud to offer the highest quality equipment to my customers: our paddleboards are all BIC SUP, one of the best big stand-up paddleboard brands in the world, and our kayaks are from Rotomod, an internationally respected sea kayak manufacturer.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience. As you can see I take it very seriously, and am using your feedback to make my business better. I hope you will come back to St. Martin and explore our beautiful seas with Caribbean Paddling!

South Lake Tahoe, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We heard that a must do while at St. Maarten is go to Pinel Island; While doing research for the trip we came across a review for Caribbean Paddle about kayaking instead of taking a ferry across. We thought this sounded much more fun, so we visited Oz and rented a Kayak. It was GREAT! $24 for 4 hours - which was plenty of time to go snorkel, relax, and return kayaks on time. It took us less than 15 minutes to kayak to the island, up wind. Very easy. Highly recommend it!

Visited June 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank PpppNut
Oswen, Owner at Caribbean Paddling, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your great and helpful review, hope to see you again!

Best regards,

New Market, Maryland
“Smart guide and a fun, relaxing day.”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I did a full day tour of Pinel with Mark and had a lovely time. Caribbean Paddling has good gear, and Mark was extremely knowledgable about the local wildlife and history. Would do again!

Visited May 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Oswen, Owner at Caribbean Paddling, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. Hope to see you again!

Best wishes,

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A perfect kayak trip to Pinel Island”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We decided in the middle of our week long vacation to rent a kayak to get to Pinel Island and after a lot of research we rented from Caribbean Paddling. Even tho we did not reserve our two person kayak until the day before we had no problem making our reservation. The process was very simple to reserve, but make sure you bring cash for the remainder of your payment as they dont take cards ince you arrive. The kayak was in great shape, and a dry bag was even provided for us to put our stuff in. The bags were large enough to hold towels and and other things you might want to have during your stay on the island. We were definitely not seasoned kayakers, but after a little help we were off and headed toward the beautiful island!! We had a lot of fun that day paddling around and we thought the price was really reasonable for the amount of time we had the kayak. Yea, we cld have just taken a ferry, but honestly kayaking together was so fun we were really happy we didn't!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank AmyRamirez
Oswen, Owner at Caribbean Paddling, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Whoaaa, this is a great review! Many thanks Amy!!