“The only place I stay when in Norfolk!”
Review of Danum House

Danum House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Overstrand
Danum House
Ranked #3 of 4 Overstrand B&B and Inns
Newquay, United Kingdom
“The only place I stay when in Norfolk!”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I have to begin with an apology, I have stayed at Danum House 10 times in the last couple of years - but have never written a review. So I will combine all visits on this one. The owner makes the welcome really special, he is friendly and always on hand to help. The place is cracking, I do not stay anywhere else when I visit the region. I have stayed in 3 different rooms, the first due to some of my late hours I have taken the room downstairs by the entrance (which is ideal for those who want to stay away from the crowds - really quiet).
I have stayed in the double at the back on the top floor too, again really quiet and cosy.
The family room at the front of house, is by far my favourite - such a stunning room, again quiet but really comfortable. The breakfasts are great value for money and good. This is a 5 star place in my books, and i would rate it higher than excellent on value and sleep quality.

Room Tip: The large family room at the front of house is my favourite, a stunning room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ken A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Milton Keynes
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights recently, and have stayed before for shorter mini-breaks, on my own and with my partner. The house is very interesting and comfortable. The history of the house is most interesting. Books by the Christain writer Florence L. Barclay are available in the dining room, she once lived at Danum House. The house is mainly of an Edwardian style.

The ensuite rooms are comfortable and quiet. The breakfasts are very good. The accommodation is very clean and homely. My bed was very comfortable and the owner was kind and helpful.

The location is great for the beach, which is within walking distance, as are a hotel and a pub for evening meals. It is possible to walk to Cromer either over the Cliffs or along the beach which is very enjoyable.

I recommend Danum House for a quiet and enjoyable stay. I will stay again when I can get the time. 5* rated for me.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very comfortable. The rear rooms are very quiet and get the morning Sun.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Norwich
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and wished it could have been longer! There was such a friendly and relaxing atmosphere, the owner was very welcoming. The house is old and quaint and the room was clean. Breakfast was a feast, nothing was any trouble. It is perfectly situated for the North Norfolk area which we found very beautiful, can't wait to stay again in the summer!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue B
norwich
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Well what can I say....this is a beautiful retreat...set in the North Norfolk Coast . Breakfast included all that you would expect and even better. Room was clean and tidy with fantastic views. My daughter especially loved the history of the house and just a short walk from the beach.
We have booked for next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank monty73
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We were welcomed by the owner to this beautiful and interesting old building which is just a short walk along a quiet lane to Overstrand beach.
My husband and I have stayed there several times and alway look forward to our break and the ample great British breakfast which is served. Nothing is too much trouble and you are made to feel like the only guest staying here. We will definitely continue to stay Danum House for years to come.
We prefer the rooms overlooking the well kept garden, but all rooms are quiet and spacious.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carole F
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Must admit but disagree with the previous review, we came with family and tow, found Danum House very down to earth and relaxing. It was exactly what we were looking for! Some places we have stayed in before have been to overwhelming and owners that are too 'in your face' so to speak. We found that Mr Sims down to earth South African origin very relaxing. If you persaude and presentation is cold and unfriendly you can't expect someone to want to communicate. The price reflects what it is, so if you looking for Mitchilan stars and Rosettes it would be a good idea to dig deep.

• Stayed August 2011
Warkworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed one night on Monday 18 July. We had booked for 2 nights but one was enough. The house itself is quite quaint in many ways and the area is very quiet. That is where the accolades end. The owner is perfunctory with an indifferent air and no sign of any welcoming attitude. The decor is down at heel and needs some serious updating. The room we stayed in can best be described as bare, dirty and utilitarian. Even at £28 each a night, it was still well short of what one could reasonably expect. I ran a cloth along some of the accessible surfaces and it was not just dust that come up, but black dirt. This is not a nice place and we were glad to get out the next morning after an indifferent breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bluesman17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Overstrand
Sea Marge Hotel
The White Horse
The White Horse
#2 of 4 in Overstrand
Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel

Been to Danum House? Share your experiences!