“Good value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Overstrand B&B and Inns
Oxfordshire
“Good value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

They don't charge for dogs.... thats a first for us and so friendly too. We were made to feel very welcome. Food in the restaurant was very good. Its a lovely walk to Cromer from here... beach route on the way and cliff tops on the way back is about 5/6 miles. We had a very enjoyable stay and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Essex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The White Horse in Overstrand with our dog for four nights. This was our second visit having stayed the same time last year. It is a wonderful dog-friendly place, our room was lovely and comfortable, the food was very good (lovely breakfasts and evening meals), and it is a great base for exploring North Norfolk. We think it's really good value for £89 per night per room incl. breakfast. There's also free wifi. My Vodafone coverage died until we drove out of Overstrand, but husband's t-mobile was fine.
It is a very short walk to the beach at Overstrand, and last year we walked along the lovely sandy beach into Cromer and returned most days along the cliff top path (tide times helpfully displayed at the Cliff Top Cafe). This year, we drove around 40-45 mins north and south and we visited Holkham Beach and walked along to Wells-next-the-Sea stopping for a late lunch in Cley; another day we went to Sea Palling which is beautiful; and on our last day we visited Winterton-on-Sea where we saw a seal and Holt Country Park.
A special mention to Lucy who looked after us really well (even offering veggie sausages as part of a veggie breakfast which were the best my husband had ever tasted) and to Cat who kept us topped up in the bar.
Recommend to people with dogs, and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vijay R
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We are regulars at the restaurant here and I can assure anyone reading this, that if the food or service was not up to our standards we would not keep going back (nor would the other people who filled this restaurant on a Wednesday evening in late August - it was full!).
The service is impeccable, unobtrusive yet always friendly , nothing is too much trouble and you are never rushed to vacate for another sitting, plus the Fish Night yesterday, gave us one of the best meals we've ever eaten!
Best idea is to book in advance, as going on spec is very likely to prove disappointing if full, but go, it's worth it!

Good pint or two of Woodfords as well!

1 Thank egoroney
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have had many meals at the white horse and have raved about the breakfsts in the past.Today we had sunday lunch.It was fab and probabley the best I have had for a very long time.Although the restaurant and bar were packed we were served very well ,quickly and I was persuaded by the look of an amazing trio of choc desserts which pased our table and I could not resist it was also incredible.I need a 2 hour nap this afternoon to sleep it all off.Once again I am so glad the white horse is out local.The food is great service 1st class and alway made welcome.Thanks

Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Booked this pub/BnB for the Cromer week....it's a good little pub on the whole but the staff let the place down, there appears to be little 'customers pay our wages' lights on. It seems to be only a guy called James who get things done here, so if he's not around things seem to slip.

Great location, 5 mins down to beach, great beer garden, good for kids with climbing toys etc, good English breakfast (ham and eggs spot on as was the full English), rooms comfy but a little noisy, as to be expected it is a pub, bathroom good, the bathroom corners could of been a little cleaner, the sort of thing you notice on the throne so to speak!

Arrived to find a helpful, very welcoming and friendly James carrying our bags up, introducing us, little tour all the things a great host should...he should of been on a rest day... I know why now....this guys deserves a medal for work effort, I would give him a job in my business any day.

Invited some friends for lunch on the Friday, went to order from Brian (?) but was told in no uncertain terms I had to wait until exactly 2pm as the kitchen was too busy...no smile and a sorry, he must be having a bad day, we all do once in while, I'm human too.

"no problem we can put up with a wait for a while, it's a nice day out, give me a beer anyway but hey why not take the order, I'll even write it down for you and save me coming back again some 7 minutes later, sorry 6mins 30"...looking at my watch.

" I'll have a word with Lucy"...(who is Lucy?) But Lucy says it's not possible...or was it "computor says no"?

"uh,erm,OK" I say and make my appolgies to my wife and friends....came back at 2:15, afterall give the guys a break, they are busy afterall, only to be told "Lucy isn't here so I can't take the order"....I waited for the punchline, but none came...we did notice when we left at 2:30 a few of tables with clean knife and forks and no nosh so maybe there was drama in the kitchen afterall, or Lucy wasn't letting the food go without a long farewell.

....so after embarrasingly explaining the situation again to my wife and friends, well, we didn't bother and I didn't fancy another bollocking, so we drove into Cromer, had a great meal at the Fishing Boat, strictly speaking I think that's more like East Runton, night and day hosptality.

So the Whitehorse food, bar breakfast, will remain a mystery, it must be good they are were very busy, or it's being rationed by Lucy. Ohh, hang on the crisps were available to all, fresh, tasty, and with various flavors on display.

The place is a little untidy in places, witness the empty cardboard boxes by the stairs, the bedding on the landings and Hoovers left around the sort of thing that I hate to see away, but do at home!

Tip:...the guy who does the rooms in the morning is a bit keen though, he asked if he put the new bedding in the room as we went for breakfast at 8:15.....I found this a little puzzling, maybe he had a hot date later that morning hence the hurry?

So good rooms, great James (we want one, two would be great), good location, good breakfast, can't pass comment on the food it does look very good though from what I saw of it, but for us it was a case of look but do not touch.

Room Tip: Take a packed lunch!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank iconic
Rushden, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had planned to stay at the white horse for two nights and had booked a meal on the night of our arrival at 7:30pm, we did not get our meal until gone 9pm that evening and it was not worth the wait! The room was a good size but it overlooked the main entrance and had we trouble in getting in the shower due to a faulty door runner. Also there was cobwebs in the light fittings but overall the room was quite clean. The bar was so noisy on the night of our arrival that they where still kicking out at 1am and moving tables around!! Then in the morning at about 6:30am the noise of plates being stackede woke us up. We decided at this point that we could not endure another night at the white horse and that morning at about 7am, I went to the a nearby hotel, who managed to fit us in for that nights stay. Overall I think the service was poor but the staff where friendly.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visited the White Horse to celebrate my partners birthday, a Thursday lunchtime, and were warmly greeted on arrival. We were shown to a lounge area to peruse the menu, and genuinely felt noothing was too much trouble.

As it was a celebration we decided to push the boat out, and have starters and a main, something unusual for us at lunchtime, but we are very glad we did.

We went for the Tapas Sharing Platter, which contained Chicken Wings, Chorizo, Fish Cakes and Breadsticks. Star of the show were the HOMEMADE sauces. Blue Cheese, Sweet Chilli (which I usually hate) and Humus (which was truely great).

Moving on to main courses, our little man went for a Mushroom Omelette, which I tried and thought it was very tasty, as did he.

The lady of the hour ordered the Chicken Skewers with Flatbread and Chips, and thought it was great.

Quality hand cooked chips are often a barometer to good food in a pub, and in this instance they were spot on.

I decided upon the Dressed Crab, Griddled Salmon and Samphire, with New Potatoes and really enjoyed the whole thing.

Overall, the place was really nice, we sat in the garden, recomended if you have a young family. The service was relaxed and friendly, and the food was stunning.

It wasn't cheap, but we were happy to pay what we did. You do get what you pay for after all....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Overstrand
Sea Marge Hotel
The Cliftonville Hotel
The Grove
The Grove
#3 of 28 in Cromer

Been to The White Horse? Share your experiences!