“Rustic, Funky”

Cascada de las Animas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Alfonso
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The cabins are adequate (with kitchen) but very "rustic". Staff is very very helpful but many speak only rudimentary English. Not a real problem since there usually is somebody around to help out. The restaurant has high quality food, enormous portions. Free Wifi available in the restaurant. Great activities like horseback riding, rafting, hiking. During the weekend families (with lots of kids) "invade". Book during the week if you like quietness. They are building new upscale cabins. All and all a nice brake from the beaten "city" path and only 1 hour from Santiago. Beautiful location right next to the Maipo river.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cascada de las Animas

Reviewed January 15, 2011

The nature in the Canyon de Maipo is very beautiful and worth the trip. However, staying at the hostel is unnecessary to take in the activities of white water rafting and swimming.

We stayed in room 5, which was the only one in the upstairs of the building. The bonus is you have a patio, although the chairs and table are worn. The bed is one of the worst, and noisiest, ever encountered and led to a poor night's sleep.

The breakfast was also the worst we've had in Chile. It consisted only of tea/coffee, juice, bread and jam. (Every other place provided well above these minimal staples.) Also note that there is no WiFi in the hostel and that you have to walk four blocks to the main complex to use internet.

If you come during the week, be prepared to eat at the complex's restaurant, since any
restaurant we saw in town was closed for weekdays. That being said, the restaurant is not a bad choice.

If it weren't for the lower price of 30,000/night I would have given Cascada a rating of
two instead. Do come out for the awesome white water rafting and scenery, but skip staying here and stay in and around Santiago or Pirque instead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

What a beautiful place! It is located in the Andes not too far from Santiago (maybe just under 2hours?) – we did a day trip, but there are cabins scattered around the property where I learned may people spend several days so they can really unwind and enjoy the place (note these are rustic I call them “cute”, not luxury accommodations). Our group went zip lining (great fun for a first-timer, two zip lines with a small hike in the middle), horseback riding (again it was my first time riding up steep paths and looking WAY down into a gorge, incredible views), river rafting (wish I had time to also have tried it – my friends that did LOVED it) and massages (the folks that had one looked SO relaxed after they were done) and had a great barbeque lunch. The staff made sure we knew safety procedures so all was well. They are mostly bilingual with no problems for us English speakers (just an occasional bit of charades). BTW – there were almost 80 of us and the place never felt crowded (other groups, too), it is a very large property and the activities are spread out so you always feel like you are in the middle of nature.

Some of our folks spent the day relaxing soaking in the spectacular views. I went along one of the hiking paths for a short distance – again not enough time in one day to do everything. I spotted the swimming pool (6 degrees Celsius, too cold for me in the early springtime!) and lots of flowers.

We saw a Condor in re-hab. They are HUGE! This place is not just for people but for injured wild animals. The goal is to allow them to heal so they can be released back into nature. What a wonderful thing to do!

Note: I did NOT rate the "Rooms" and "Sleep Quality" categories as we did not stay overnight here. Please don't think I gave zero points.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank TravelLover2345
Reviewed October 13, 2010

An outstanding and very unique experience. I visit Cascada with my 5 friends, on our trip through South America. This perfect spot in the middle of the Andes made the frame around the most fantastic holiday.
We booked a 3-day horseback riding through the Andes. The trip gave an amazing connecting with the nature and the animals around us, and most of all an indescribable view.
It was the first time on a horse for my friends and me, but the guides paid very good attention to all of us, so the ride became enjoyable and fun.
After the horseback riding did we spent some days at the resort. We did zip lineing, rafting and trekking, and I can recommend it all.
What I liked the most about Cascada was the atmosphere around the place. Most of the staff is a part of the owner’s family, which gave the place a strong personality and a big charm. They have a huge love and respect to the nature, which makes this place so real.

If you are looking for a one-day getaway or weeks of holiday, this is the place to be.
I definitely recommend it.

Best regards - Dinamarca

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank NinadeDinamarca
Reviewed October 8, 2010

While backpacking through Chile I did not really want to stay long in Santiago. A friend recomended me to visit Cascada in the Andes next to the city. I ended up staying for two weeks ! The staff were incredibly friendly. The cabin was perfectly comfortable, I had enough firewood to last the night, while I read. I spent my days hiking on the hills, rafting, horse ridding and eating the most delicious food at the restaurant. When feeling lazy, I would request to use the sauna and later indulge in a massage that would leave me sleeping well into the next morning. The surroundings were so peacefull, everywhere trees blossoming in the early spring, the fresh breeze and bird singing made me feel that I was in a dream.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hostal Cascada de Las Animas, which is located at 3 blocks from the Cascada de las Animas Nature Center. We were attending a friend's wedding in Cajón del Maipo at CasaBosque on Saturday night, so we decided to stay over for the weekend at Hostal Cascada de Las Animas, whih is located in the main street. It is a 2 story house built in rock, surrounded by gardens -quiet enviorment- with a big living room with a chimney -fire was seldom lighted inside, though it was winter-. Our room was the only one in the 2nd floor and we had a medium sized terrace with a nice view of the mountains.

We arrived on Sat Friday July 30th around 11.00 pm. It had been raining and some snow still laid on the floor. We had advised the hour of our arrival but it seems they turned on the heating at last minute. The room was chilling! Eventhough the room did have a heating system, it was too small sized for the room's size. Worse was the fact the bathroom was outside the room, in the hall, with no heating system. Coldest bathroom ever! It was supposed to be our private bathroom but anyone could enter since all bathrooms were located in the halls. I had to continously move my personal bath items from the room to the bathroom and from the bathroom to the room.

The furniture, specially the bed, sheets and pillows looked old and worn out...the window's curtain was so thin all the cold passed through! (The bathroom towels were fine quality though).

After the chilling cold night was over, we went downstairs for breakfast (included), it consisted in natural juice, home made bread, some jam and butter, tea & milk. Afterwards we left to the Nature Center for our free tour to the waterfalls at 12 am. It was a lovely short walking tour with nice sightseeings.

Afterwards we went to have lunch to Trattoria Calypso and when we returned to the Hostal around 4.30 pm, our room was exactly as we had left it: wet towels in the bathroom, wet bathroom floor, no fresh towels, no toilette paper, garbage can full, bed undone, not even a broom had passed by our room (before we left, we left the room's door completely open with the room's key placed in place..impossible to miss!)

When we asked the housekeeper why our room & bathroom had not been cleaned considering we were gone from 12 am to 4.30 pm, she told us room & bathroom cleaning was not included in her chores nor in anyones'.She didn't even offer us to make the room then..so we had to clean our room & bathroom by ourselves! Unbelievable! (considering I asked for quotations in many places in Cajón del Maipo, and Hostal Cascada de las Animas was one of the most expensive ones: 60 dollars / $30,000 Chile pesos per night). By the way, all this made me wonder about the hygiene of the Hostal's rooms and bathrooms.

After this we considered we've had enough with the Hostal Cascada de las Animas and if we had had the possibility to stay the night at some place else we would have, but we had to get dressed for the wedding.

When we spoke to our friends at the wedding in CasaBosque, we found out most of them were staying there for the night. They told us about how warm their rooms were (heating system with remote control), bathrooms were inside the rooms and heated just like in most hotels, breakfast was great (and of course, they didn't have to clean the room & bathroom by themselves!).

In the end, we realized we'd make the wrong hotel choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claudia_Andrea_G
chilewillie, Public Relations Manager at Cascada de las Animas, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2010

Thank you for your comments and criticism. We are always eager to hear opinions from our guests.

We are saddened that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We always strive to do our best to meet or exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us. By your posting, I understand that you stayed with us because of a wedding you were attending in the area. Cascada de las Animas is an ecotourism resort, and as such, our focus is on outdoor adventure activities and access to nature. For most of our visitors, the primary reason that they choose to visit us is for the opportunity that we provide them to connect with nature. Participating on one of our horseback trips, zip-line adventures, rafting tours, or other adventures; or sampling some of the excellent wholesome and healthy menu choices in our resort restaurant would most likely have given you a more favorable opinion of us.

For guests who wish to stay overnight, or spend several days with us, we offer clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations in cabins, rooms, suites, and in our nearby hostel. Our hostel is currently our most economical alternative for overnight lodging, and is priced for budget conscious travelers. As a hostel, it cannot be fairly compared to the newly built 5 star Hotel Casa Bosque where your friends stayed without also mentioning that a similarly sized room at the Hotel Casa Bosque will cost a guest nearly three times as much as at our hostel.

As is noted on our website, our hostel is a converted residence that was constructed in the 1930’s; using construction techniques and materials common to that era. It is quaint and beautiful, with many gardens and large common areas; however it is can be difficult to heat to everyone´s satisfaction in mid-winter - especially with the record breaking low temperatures we have been experiencing recently in our mountains! We are sorry that you found it to be too cold for your liking.

It was also common practice with family homes designed at that time to have bathrooms that were hallway accessible. Understanding our guests need for bathroom privacy, each bathroom is assigned to a specific room and can be key locked at any time (using your room key). The bathroom and former master bedroom that you occupied take up the entire top floor and are not adjacent to any other guest (who would need to climb a flight of stairs to reach your bathroom). In your case, you had the most private section of the hostel.

To keep hostel room rates low and affordable for budget travelers, some services are not included – such as daily room cleaning. Each room is thoroughly cleaned by our staff after a guest departs and before a new guest arrives. If a guest is staying multiple nights and would like to have their room re-cleaned during their stay, there is a nominal extra fee for this service. Be assured that common areas such as the dining and living quarters are cleaned regularly and diligently, and to our credit, we have received dozens of written and hundreds of verbal comments praising their stay with us.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the continental breakfast that we included with your room and the free waterfall trek within our 10,000 acre nature sanctuary. This is a service that cannot be found at the Hotel Casa Bosque or any other location in the Maipo Canyon at any price.
We hope that you might visit us again in the future when it is not so cold, and stay with us in one of our cabins or suites which might have better suited your tastes.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed March 24, 2010

We were due to arrive at Cascada de las Animas on the 27th February but obviously the earthquake put a halt to that! We got as far as Brazil that morning and after many, many further planes, buses and taxis we eventually arrived on the 8th March! I have to comment on the fact that I emailed Cascada on numerous occasions to highlight the fact that we were obviously delayed and not only was their response time very slow but I felt the replies to the emails were in a tone of "all is ok here and visitors are arriving as normal, so what's your excuse!" - we felt bad enough that our travel plans had been turned upside down and did not need that feeling from Cascada.

However, arrive we did, to find a cheery face on the steps of reception and check in was quick and smooth (bearing in mind you pay up front at this point). Then we were kindly given a truck ride down to our cabin and I have to say that is when all the friendliness and cheeriness ended! We were never spoken to again by anyone who worked at Cascada (excluding the restaurant staff). When we entered the reception area to view books or the internet there was never any communication or chatter. We were really disappointed with this. In fact, on enquiring if they could call us a taxi to take us to a nearby town we were told they wouldnt. They said just go stand on the road and catch a bus or collectivo - customer service was non-existent. But all said and done if this is not important to you then you will love these quirky, unique cabins and their beautiful surroundings.

We were in a 2 bed cabin (it was number 2 cabin and can't remember its name). It was very qaint but as others have said lacking in kitchen utilities. Outside there are tables and brick bbq's but we did not attempt to cook outside. Did see other visitors lighting their bbq's and they looked good! Would also say that the shower facilities were quite poor with the water either being stone cold or boiling hot but after messing around for 10mins it generally settled down.

The restaurant food is very, very good and on our first night we were delighted with every aspect of the service. However, nights 2,3 and 4 we were not met with such good service. Just felt a bit of a nuisance at times. The restaurant closes around 8pm therefore i guess they wanted folks out. We felt it should have been opened later than that. Also it is very dark when walking back to your cabin so you should pack a torch.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the scenery is just out of this world. The walks and treks were fantastic and something that we will always remember.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hostal Chikiyan
Hostal Chikiyan
#1 of 23 in San Jose de Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maip...
#1 of 7 in San Jose de Maipo
Los Abedules
Los Abedules
#5 of 9 in San Alfonso

Been to Cascada de las Animas? Share your experiences!