“GREAT!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Alfonso
Atlanta, Georgia
“GREAT!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

For some reason a review of this place is only listed on hotels while this location/venue offers so much more. My party and I were staying in Santiago and booked a rafting/canopy combination adventure. All arrangements to include deposits were made via email. The location is about a 1 hr drive from downtown Santiago, but once you get to Cascada, the fun begins. All I can say is DO IT!; the lunch served as part of the package is enough to feed an army, and it is served at a lovely restaurant overlooking the river. Very well done, safe and open to various skill levels. A great way to experience the outdoors, raft and escape the hustle of the bustle of the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cruisinbob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Beautiful sanctuary, we stayed there for one night at the hostel. Beautiful house with big rooms with private bathroom.
Included was a complimentary pisco sour and a trekking to see the waterfall, and we added up the rafting experience, really fun in a unique area with very nice guides.
We also tried to reach the thermal waters by the volcano, but the police had to stop us due to strong summer rainfalls.
The staff at the welcome center and restaurant was just ok, not eager to help nor effective as one would expect, but the rest of the activity "guides" were much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank FlyingRobert
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife and mother took a day trip to Cascada and we couldn't say enough about our experience. We got picked up promptly in Santiago and were driven to Cascada. Once there, we were helped to get situated and comfortable with the grounds. We were given a quick history of the place and how it came to existence. We then proceeded to the 3 hour horse back riding tour of the Andes. This was our trip highlight. Although some people in our party were scared of riding horses since they did not know what they were doing, the guide was very patient and ended up tying the horse to his. The views were increadible and beautiful. The only I would advise is that if you have a fear of heights, cliffs and/or horses- do NOT go on the horse back riding tour.

After the tour we ate lunch at their restuarant which was unique in how it was situated and built. We then spend some time at their pool which although was cold, it was beautifully kept and one a kind.

My wife and I then went on the waterfall (cascada) walking tour. Unfortunately the winter before did not provide much snow so there was not much of waterfall to be seen. The hike was fun (although hot) and rigorous at times but again the guide was patient and understanding the whole way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank aho682
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at the Cascada de Las Animas in late 2009 and had a very interesting stay, we walked to the waterfall, had lunch and an evening meal in the very unusual restaurant right by the mighty Maipo River, very good food an interesting experience. We chose to do a horse ride up into the Andes, just a couple of hours, how exillerating do you want life to get? Treking along a trail just 60 cm wide with near vertical drops to the Rio Maipo with just very large thorny cactus to break your fall if unlucky, poor horse with me on it, it had to stop fairly frequently to get it's breath back, but what an experience and really good value. We were quite surprised to see Condors, we thought they were mythical, but no we saw six on one day, they are just so huge, really, no joke I have seen nothing bigger flying you start off seeing small specks circling in the sky and then they fold in their wings and drop like a stone and then spread their wings again and just fly!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jack D
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked a stay in the cabins this past July for a group of volunteers who were working in Santiago. It was a great way to get out of the city and relax after a week of very hard work. While my group enjoyed the experience, the headaches I had to deal with from the staff have were more than enough for me to advise the volunteer organization to absolutely never recommend this place to groups again. However, I have since heard that another group went after ours and had similar unauthorized charges appear.

From the start when I was making all the arrangements, I was told that not everything would be available, as it was the winter. Since some of the activities are packaged together (wine tour, zip-lining, etc.) I inquired as to whether we would be advised of the conditions in advance and if we would still be charged the full price if we were unable to take part in all the activities for which we had signed up. Unfortunately that seemed to set off the woman with whom I was corresponding and all communication henceforth was extremely unpleasant, to say the least.

After that point I noticed that the prices on our invoice had mysteriously increased. The transportation that was supposed to be included in the wine tour was now extra and I was being charged an exorbitant price. At first I offered apologies, thinking that there had been a misunderstanding when making the arrangements, as I do not speak much Spanish. I was very curtly told, no, the transportation was not included in my situation.

At one point after coming back from dinner, one cabin found that they no longer had any hot water. I called the information desk to see if someone could come out to fix it and was told "I don't speak English" and was hung up on. I tried again, using my broken Spanish to explain that we had no hot water but could fix it ourselves if they told us how, and again was hung up on. The volunteers then took it upon themselves to find and fix the water heater so it was no longer an issue.

The meals at the restaurant went over very well with everyone although the prices are very steep (the advantage of being the only option on site). We also went on the wine tour to Concha y Toro (beautiful, great wine), zip-lining (fun but very short) and hiking up to the waterfalls (great view, not too difficult for beginner hikers). Unfortunately the customer service was what really put a damper on the experience.

Furthermore, when I looked at my next credit card statement, they had added on hundreds of dollars worth of extra charges without my knowledge. Requests for more information from Cascada were unanswered so I took it to Visa and claimed the unauthorized charge. I finally got a notice that they had received a copy of my receipt from Cascada and the charge would remain. However, this was a falsified receipt, is lacking my signature and absolutely constitutes fraud. And that is not including the increased transportation charges that I gave up on questioning. I intend to pursue this further with visa and hope that other groups do not have even half the problems that we had there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ehclaire
Joe Willis J, Public Relations Manager at Cascada de las Animas, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank your taking the time to write a review of your experiences at Cascada de las Animas. We value the opinions of all of our guests and are very sorry that your time with us was less than satisfactory.

After reading your complaints, the description of the group you represent, and the time period that you visited, I went though our guest records so that I could speak with the staff who would have interacted with your group during your visit. Unfortunately we have no record of any group visiting our resort that resembles who you describe, nor does our staff have any recollection of these events. We also have not been contacted by VISA for credit card overcharges as you have described,

Based on these findings, I can only conclude that you may have mistaken Cascada de las Animas for some other business when you placed this review. Please be assured that we do not engage in fraudulent activities, nor add unauthorized items to a clients bill, nor misrepresent our advertised prices, or treat our valued clients in the manner that you describe,

So that I may clear up any confusion or misunderstandings, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly by telephone. You may reach me at 56 2 8611303. You can be certain that if your group did stay at Cascada de las Animas and the events that you describe transpired, we will issue you an immediate refund and take corrective actions with any of our staff that were involved.

We hope to hear from you and wish you the very best.
Elora, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently went here for an overnight stay. I was hoping to stay in a cabin but the only available room was the high end lodge. For around $200, it included a walk to the falls, complimentary pisco sours, a fantastic breakfast, access to the pool and a unique individual lodge experience. It was one of the greatest nights of my life! We ate wonderful Chilean food at the Tribu restaurant. I recommend the pastel de choclo and leche asada. The 3 hour hike to the Meseta was worth the tough climb. Couples and parents with older must come here. There is also rafting and a zip line that is quite the rush. I'll be back here again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jose M
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place offers lots of different activities such as horse riding, rafting and trekking in a breathtaking scenery next to the andes mountains and the Maipo River.

Also worth to mention is the restaurant located in the middle of the park, which in terms of ambiance I just can't think of any better place. Having a glass of a good wine and tasting some typical Chilean food at this paradise is just priceless, and speaking of that I found the prices to be very reasonable.

Prepare your energy, and enjoy this amazing experince,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hostal Chikiyan
Hostal Chikiyan
#1 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maip...
#1 of 7 in San Jose de Maipo
#3 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo
Lodge Andino El Ingenio
Lodge Andino El Ingenio
#4 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo

Been to Cascada de las Animas? Share your experiences!