“Warning: Check Your Credit Card Statements”

Cascada de las Animas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Alfonso
Toronto, Canada
“Warning: Check Your Credit Card Statements”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked a stay in the cabins this past July for a group of volunteers who were working in Santiago. It was a great way to get out of the city and relax after a week of very hard work. While my group enjoyed the experience, the headaches I had to deal with from the staff have were more than enough for me to advise the volunteer organization to absolutely never recommend this place to groups again. However, I have since heard that another group went after ours and had similar unauthorized charges appear.

From the start when I was making all the arrangements, I was told that not everything would be available, as it was the winter. Since some of the activities are packaged together (wine tour, zip-lining, etc.) I inquired as to whether we would be advised of the conditions in advance and if we would still be charged the full price if we were unable to take part in all the activities for which we had signed up. Unfortunately that seemed to set off the woman with whom I was corresponding and all communication henceforth was extremely unpleasant, to say the least.

After that point I noticed that the prices on our invoice had mysteriously increased. The transportation that was supposed to be included in the wine tour was now extra and I was being charged an exorbitant price. At first I offered apologies, thinking that there had been a misunderstanding when making the arrangements, as I do not speak much Spanish. I was very curtly told, no, the transportation was not included in my situation.

At one point after coming back from dinner, one cabin found that they no longer had any hot water. I called the information desk to see if someone could come out to fix it and was told "I don't speak English" and was hung up on. I tried again, using my broken Spanish to explain that we had no hot water but could fix it ourselves if they told us how, and again was hung up on. The volunteers then took it upon themselves to find and fix the water heater so it was no longer an issue.

The meals at the restaurant went over very well with everyone although the prices are very steep (the advantage of being the only option on site). We also went on the wine tour to Concha y Toro (beautiful, great wine), zip-lining (fun but very short) and hiking up to the waterfalls (great view, not too difficult for beginner hikers). Unfortunately the customer service was what really put a damper on the experience.

Furthermore, when I looked at my next credit card statement, they had added on hundreds of dollars worth of extra charges without my knowledge. Requests for more information from Cascada were unanswered so I took it to Visa and claimed the unauthorized charge. I finally got a notice that they had received a copy of my receipt from Cascada and the charge would remain. However, this was a falsified receipt, is lacking my signature and absolutely constitutes fraud. And that is not including the increased transportation charges that I gave up on questioning. I intend to pursue this further with visa and hope that other groups do not have even half the problems that we had there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ehclaire
Joe Willis J, Public Relations Manager at Cascada de las Animas, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank your taking the time to write a review of your experiences at Cascada de las Animas. We value the opinions of all of our guests and are very sorry that your time with us was less than satisfactory.

After reading your complaints, the description of the group you represent, and the time period that you visited, I went though our guest records so that I could speak with the staff who would have interacted with your group during your visit. Unfortunately we have no record of any group visiting our resort that resembles who you describe, nor does our staff have any recollection of these events. We also have not been contacted by VISA for credit card overcharges as you have described,

Based on these findings, I can only conclude that you may have mistaken Cascada de las Animas for some other business when you placed this review. Please be assured that we do not engage in fraudulent activities, nor add unauthorized items to a clients bill, nor misrepresent our advertised prices, or treat our valued clients in the manner that you describe,

So that I may clear up any confusion or misunderstandings, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly by telephone. You may reach me at 56 2 8611303. You can be certain that if your group did stay at Cascada de las Animas and the events that you describe transpired, we will issue you an immediate refund and take corrective actions with any of our staff that were involved.

We hope to hear from you and wish you the very best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Elora, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently went here for an overnight stay. I was hoping to stay in a cabin but the only available room was the high end lodge. For around $200, it included a walk to the falls, complimentary pisco sours, a fantastic breakfast, access to the pool and a unique individual lodge experience. It was one of the greatest nights of my life! We ate wonderful Chilean food at the Tribu restaurant. I recommend the pastel de choclo and leche asada. The 3 hour hike to the Meseta was worth the tough climb. Couples and parents with older must come here. There is also rafting and a zip line that is quite the rush. I'll be back here again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jose M
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place offers lots of different activities such as horse riding, rafting and trekking in a breathtaking scenery next to the andes mountains and the Maipo River.

Also worth to mention is the restaurant located in the middle of the park, which in terms of ambiance I just can't think of any better place. Having a glass of a good wine and tasting some typical Chilean food at this paradise is just priceless, and speaking of that I found the prices to be very reasonable.

Prepare your energy, and enjoy this amazing experince,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Diego_Navigator
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

The lodge we stayed in was beautiful and comfortable. Artistic interiors and wonderful scenery.
This is wonderful place to enjoy activities and scenery. We did a hiking trip to San Fransisco Glacier, full day horse trek on mountains and whitewater rafting. All were memorable experiences.

Room Tip: Stayed in lodge 10. Beautiful interiors and wonderful views to surrounding mountains, but I would gu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarkkuH2
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were there in an off-peak time (temporada baja, May) and really liked it. Stayed in the EL MAITEN cabana - small but clean and comfortable. We bought a package for 300 US Dollar including two nights , breakfast, rafting, a great dinner a la carte, a beautiful sauna, tirolesa, and a hike. Value for money and a great expreience. A "but" - the place is really badly lit in the night so bring on a torch. The other small but was that staff - even though friendly - had no clue about the package we had purchases - so we had to discuss all the time. However, in the end there was no problem and people were friendly. And before I forget it - they should clean the clothes better they give you for rafting!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank soyporteno
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

First and foremost, I would have gave them an "excellent" rating, but the restaurant and info center need to learn some lessons. Here is my honest an unbiased review of Cascada de las Animas.

The good: The sanctuary is beautiful beyond a doubt! The waterfall/cascada is very precious! The lodges are built very well and awesome! I really loved the bed and bathroom. The shower was wonderful, just be careful you don't spend too much time in it as the hot water will disappear after, say 15 minutes. The lodge staff were very nice and helpful. Last, but not least the breakfast was delicious: eggs, homemade breads, juices, kuchen, fruits, palta, and half decent brewed coffee. I would definitely suggest the lodge for its uniqueness and comfort.

The bad: The staff at the information center were not very friendly. Not what I would expect from a place were customer service is a must needed quality. I entered the center and was not greeted at all. I had to be the one to say hello first and that was after I was inside for more than 30 seconds. Not to mention when I asked to buy a water, they did not react to fast to attending to me. What happened to the customer comes first?

The ugly: The restaurant needs to keep the dogs and cats out of the restaurant areas. Inside we had to tell one cat to "beat it" more than once. The waitress knew it, but did not remove the cat. Also there was a dog inside the restaurant sleeping on the sofa available to customers. I love dogs, but in a restaurant, not. Even outside on the patio a dog was begging for food at the tables, not to mention stealing food at the waitress area.

I could have given a worse rating, but I kept in mind the "good". Hopefully something is learned from this review.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Gringo66
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

First, we were very happy with our accommodations in the lodge suites area. The people were very friendly and helpful - especially Jaime, Maria and Fillippe. Breakfast is provided in a common unit for the lodge guests and we found this to be delicious. The suite itself was really neat with a circular skylight in the middle where you could see the stars at night. We loved the zip line and the horse back ride was fantastic - the best we have ever been on. We have riden in the Colorado and Canadian Rockies - but nothing compared with this. We felt completely safe and our guide was excellent.
However, a few caveats. First not many people speak English - especially in the Activities cabin. The guided hike to Cascada de las Animas was all in Spanish - so except for the helpful translation from a few hikers with us - we had no idea what was going on. Perhaps a pamphlet printed in English with the information presented by the guide would have been a good idea. Also, when we went to check out - there was an error in our bill. They tried to charge us for VAT - since we are US citizens paying with a US credit card - this should not have occurred. The people working the desk at this time had very limited English. It took at least 15 minutes to convince them to take the charge off of the bill. Then they could not seem to get our charge card to work - I gave them 3 different cards. We kept asking if there was perhaps a problem with their machine. Finally another worker was brought in who was able to get our first card to go through with no problem. By the time we were done, we had spent 30 minutes just trying to check out. This was very frustrating as we were leaving to catch a flight at the airport. My advice would be to make sure they are not charging you the VAT ahead of time ( we did mention it when we checked in and were assured it would be removed - it wasn't). Double-check that it has been removed and perhaps try to pay your bill ahead of check out - especially if you have a plane to catch!
Besides this unfortunate end to our trip, we would return. It is a beautiful property. Also, bring a small flashlight...it is very dark at night.

Room Tip: Stay in a Lodge Suite. I think we had number 3. Great view of Cascada de las Animas from our windo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hostal Chikiyan
Hostal Chikiyan
#1 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maip...
#1 of 7 in San Jose de Maipo
Lodge Andino El Ingenio
Lodge Andino El Ingenio
#4 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo
Lacasadecarlitos
Lacasadecarlitos
#2 of 7 in San Jose de Maipo

Been to Cascada de las Animas? Share your experiences!