“Family Trip”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lian
Makati
“Family Trip”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Two years already, my family and I keep going to Matabungkay. We like the place very much since it's easy enough to get to via car (about 2-3 hours). My 2 kids like to splash in the swimming pool for hours, which allows us parents like to just relax.

We stayed in the deluxe room and paid for extra beds for the kids, so ok naman. The room is rahter big and comfortable, although kinda old pero it's not bad. The deluxe room has a big restroom and the shower is ok, too. Clean and comfortable. We like it that there is extra room to hang our wet bathing suits and towels. The aircon can get very cold in the evening or early morning though, so one of us has to turn it to low because there is no remote control.
The staff is very helpful and smiling all the time. Best time to go here is early in the summer so it’s not so full of people. Always, we go home with a nice tan. This is our fourth time there. If you're looking for a place na affordable and decent, ok yun Matabungkay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MannyG115

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spending a great long weekend by the shore of matabungkay beach resort and hotel was very relaxing... nice activity, very warm accommodations and the staff are very helpful.

Superb food, you must go back and spend the rest of your vacation with your love once.

Room Tip: Get a large room for a group of 6 at the 3rd floor coooooozzzzzzzzzyyyyyy and relaxing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My fiance and I decided to have a getaway in matabungkay. We were supposed to stay at Coral Beach Resort but it was fully booked so we went to reserve at this filthy hotel. After paying the 50 % downpayment at the bank, I had to see the reviews at this hotel and to my dismay I've read terrible ones. We were supposed to withdraw our reservation but we pushed through since we were called by the manager denying the reviews. After a 3 and half travel, we arrived. I had to pee immediately so I went to use our bathroom, when I opened the drawer of the sink, there were worms and other disgusting things. I called the front desk and decided to ask if we could upgrade our room. Maybe it was an angel who whispered that I should go send an SMS to Coral Beach, ask if there are any available rooms. The manager kindly responded and we've decided to leave. I asked if we could refund the payment since we have just spent a few minutes. We were told that it's not possible and what we can do is just slash a thousand bucks and spend it on eating at their cafeteria. So we did. Again, to our doubled anxiety and dismay we were still charged by a hundred bucks and I was like WTF? I didn't even enjoy sitting at your lousy room and I am terribly disgusted with your service. What made this experience even worse is that the manager was there and didn't even apologize. So please, for those who wants value to their money, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. It's the worst we have visited!!!

• Stayed October 2012
11 Thank Smallville19
urdaneta, pangasinan
Reviewed October 24, 2012

1. Large, large mosquitos!
2. Cockroaches in the reception area, in the room and in the dining area. If they are running around out in the open, you could imagine how many of them are harboring inside the closed spaces like the kitchen and storage areas.
3. If coming here for a company training, don't. There is no wifi in the rooms, and no work table. You go to the reception or dining area, and you'd distracted by the loud sound on the radio, and the boisterious laughter of the staff. You feel like you shouldn't be in their territory, and you are distracting their regular day.
4. They do not clean the rooms if you do not request it. Imagine coming to a room after a long day and find your damp towel on top of a ruffled bed and a very full trashcan in the toilet. The least they could do is tell you their rules.

Room Tip: don't come here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This resort should be thankful that I chose it to be my birthday outing destination because of sentimental reasons. I only had a few time preparing for this outing with friends. And basing from the price rate of their rooms and because my family went here when I was still a kid, I chose at the last minute to call & book at Matabungkay.

We rode a van from Taft Ave.which took us straight to the resort after four hours. It was already 12 midnight when we arrived because we all came from the office & left at around 6pm from Manila. Upon arriving, we requested for the food menu as we're super hungry and did not eat any dinner. They said that we should have advised them but the point was I have booked beforehand & advised that we'll be arriving late. So we decided to just buy food from a nearby sari-sari store outside the resort & when we went back to our room, the guard reprimanded us that we'll be charged with Corkage fee! What the heck! How dare they charge us w/ corkage when at the first place they can't serve us any food! I really complained & the guard just charged us on our two bottles of beer.

The room we got has good airconditioning but look rustic and quite unclean. Also needs updating on the room design. The beach was rocky and we cannot enjoy the water so much as it is also full of weeds. The food was expensive that we only ordered the typical egg-longganisa breakfast & played volleyball the whole morning. It was only an overnight trip & I only enjoyed our trip here because I was with a bunch of happy go lucky & carefree friends who have always put a positive aura even in worse vacation times. My birthday could have been better if there was good service provided.

Traveled November 2010

Room Tip: do not book to this resort! period
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Spicy_Trekker
Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here for 3 night September 2012.
Positives +
The staff is the friendliest I've ever experienced. I don't understand some of the other reviews that said the service was bad. The receptionists were kind and helpful. The bartender, Mar, boatmen, and the nurse were very friendly and helpful too. The spa staff was amazing!
My boyfriend got sick during our trip and the nurse was very helpful and caring. The whole staff was! Some asked how he was doing during the course of our stay.
The lobby and the grounds were beautiful, secluded, and well-kept.
This was a nice place for families and friends. We had the Superior Family Suite which was spacious and comfortable, I loved eating everyday on the patio.
The swimming pool was amazing.
They were many activities to do and the snorkeling by the beach was fantastic. It was great for first time snorkelers.

Negatives -
The bathrooms had hot water but took a while to heat up in the early mornings
The shower need remodeling, they are slow to drain and the tile grout need a deep cleaning.
While the food was great, it felt very expensive for the Philippines.
The resort did have WiFi but the only place to access it is in the lobby area.

This resort was the best and we'll be coming back again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dainty_C
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 2, 2012

By far the worst ever service I have ever experienced in a beach resort in the Philippines. I would encourage everyone to shy away from this resort. We stayed here overnight on 1st September 2012. We booked three big rooms. One room is occupied by my family and the rest for the other relatives in our group.

We left early to catch the flight back to Hong kong but the rest of the group remained to settle the bills. The next day we called Manila to check up on them. We were flabbergasted when we learned that they had been charged P350 each for two missing old towels and slippers, we didn’t even know we had in our room.

I believe in our haste to head back to Manila airport we probably misplaced the old and worn out towels in the pool or canteen.

Now why would charge us with things that have been misplaced and definitely still within the vicinity of the hotel and therefore still with them. My relatives offered all their bags to be opened and checked to prove that we never took any of these old things that they indirectly suggested we did? And the slippers? We did not even know they provided ones as we didn’t see any.

We never even used their shampoos, soap because we brought our own towels, toiletries, shampoos, conditioners soap, slippers etc.

We have been to the best resort in the Philippines and even overseas and we never, in all honesty, taken any items which are new and considerably better. Just recently, my family spent a week in bohol beach resort and the service is top notch coupled that with a lot of freebies such as welcome drinks, breakfast and lunch etc and you will understand its business is thriving.

In comparison matanbungkay hotel beach resort is zilch, nada, zero. No wonder, with all the information available on the net, I only heard about this resort on that particular day when my sis-in-law informed me.

Matabungkay Hotel Beach Resort is old, dilapidated and poorly maintained. They don’t even provide a welcome drinks and newspaper. The wi-fi they advertise is only available in the lobby. And the Cable TV? They switch it off at midnight !

Edgar P.

Room Tip: look elsewhere...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 2012Edgar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lian
Coral Beach Club
#2 of 4 in Nasugbu
Club Balai Isabel
Club Balai Isabel
#1 of 2 in Talisay

Been to Matabungkay Beach Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!