“A unique experience!”

Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Walsingham
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I'll start with a confession - I'm pagan and so this wasn't a religeous visit on my part but rather a visit drawn out of curiousity. As a historian I am well aware that the shrine attracted pilgrims throughout the Middle Ages - some of them barren English Queens and noblewomen - but then disappeared until it was resurrected in more recent times.
I found it fascinating - the Catholic shrine perhaps too opulent but certainly awe inspiring. I preferred the peace of the Anglican counterpart. I could understand how it would bring comfort and uplift to believers - I visited very early one morning before the village 'opened' and so wasn't swamped by coach parties or hoards of tourists which allowed me to observe and enjoy the tranquility not just of the shrines but the entire village around them. Certainly worth visiting even if it doesn't fit with your personal beliefs.

2  Thank Skeets21551

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This a seriously strange place but very interesting. There are the most beautiful religious artefacts and icons of one sort or another which fascinate and delight the eye.

1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Spending a weekend over with my church and it's amazing place to stay. The accoumindation is super and clean. Staff are vey helpfully and a good pub across the road

2  Thank Drdread1996
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Utterly different. Whole town feels like being abroad (and quite wealthy). Must feel like any pilgrimage destination, especially in a Catholic country. Dead when we were there, so must be an awful lot of people on special days to create the money for all those buildings

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Visited out of season and was able to find inner peace not just commercial peace. An enjoyable visit for the enlightened as well as those of us who are just respectful of everything. Very humbling enjoyable visit.