“Fantastic anniversary break away”

Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Woodlands
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic anniversary break away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just arrived back from the hotel after a short break away. The hotel is in a stunning setting with direct access to the New Forest. Our room was very comfortable and well equipt, the food was fantastic and of a high quality, and the staff service was very welcoming and friendly. We really couldnt fault the Woodlands Lodge. We had a very relaxing break away and will definately be back again soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in an Eves room which had bags of charm and was stunning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Well - we stayed here in late October for the weekend of our first wedding anniversary. Let me tell you what the biggest problem that I had with this hotel was --> the smell. I CANNOT believe that no one else has written about it. The smell was AWFUL - it was an effluent, sewage smell. By the evenings it absolutely filled the lobby of the hotel. When you opened the front door, the smell smacked you in the face. The staff were aware of it because there were scented candles burning everywhere. In some places throughout the hotel, the smell seemed to be worse than others. And unfortunately, the hallway where rooms I think 12 and 14 were located, the smell was AWFUL. Which was really unfortunate given that it was our first wedding anniversary and we had chosen a deluxe room for a romantic getaway. We did let someone at the front desk know about the smell and he just said 'they were looking into it'. I suppose we should have complained more. But we knew that we were stuck with the hotel - all the hotels in the New Forest book up quickly and we happened to be there during half term - so there was nothing else available.

Also beware if you get a deluxe room. They all have fireplaces in them, but none of the fireplaces work. Which was another damper on my hopes of having a romantic weekend away.

Aside from the god-awful smell - this is a nice, charming hotel that is in a good location. It's right at the top of the New Forest, so it's easy to get to, unlike some other places like Lymington. The hotel is old world, shabby chic. So you should be prepared to see knicks, scratches and so on - but those things don't detract from the overall charm of the place and its decor.

But - Yes it's true - the beds, mattresses and pillows are a bit crap and not very comfortable. And yes it's true that even though the rooms have big whirlpool bathtubs, the whirlpool jets aren't so good. And yes it is also true that the shower isn't so good. But I think - those things wouldn't have bothered me at all if the place didn't smell so badly of sewage.

The free breakfast portions were small - but the quality of the food was good. But the room breakfast was served in was always pretty cold (windows were open to let fresh air in and to let that awful smell out). My husband seemed to think that they were either having a plumbing problem - or that they had a septic tank that was full and/or problematic.

I would never stay here again personally - BUT would I recommend the place to someone else? Maybe. Not for a romantic getaway though. But if you're travelling with friends or family and you just want to be in the New Forest and spend most of your time outdoors - you might like it. BUT before booking, I really would call them and ask them about the smell. Get some assurances that if it smells like sewage, you'll get a discount of some kind, or a full refund.

Room Tip: ASK ABOUT THE SEWAGE SMELL. Be wary of staying in (I think) rooms 12 or 14.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Imogene A, Owner at Woodlands Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us. I can assure you that the smell has gone, and was an unfortunate experience for us because a pipe had separated and it was very difficult to locate - we had cameras and drainage experts in but it took getting the floor boards up to find the problem, which is now resolved.But we spent a week trying to resolve the issue. I am sorry that the smell in reception spoiled your stay. We were taking this very seriously and were trying to minimize any disruption to guests. If i had known you were unhappy with your room we would have tried to move you, although room 12 is generally very popular with guests because of its lovely garden view. We are a country house and all our rooms are decorated differently and have different bathrooms and bedroom set ups. If you found the duvet and pillows not to your liking we would have been happy to switch them for you? also, all our rates include breakfast and it is possible to take whatever you would like from the continental buffet and then the cooked breakfast is cooked to order so that you should never be wanting or leaving our hotel hungry! I am pleased that there were certain things you liked about us and would consider recommending us in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review. Best wishes Imogene Anglaret
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Well where do we start !! left hotel today 1/11/12 1 day early !! it was our 10 year anniversary ,we booked 3 nights , stayed for 2 , the room was in the eves eco room !! contemporary , kingsize beds , jacuzzi baths ( from the arc ) all mod cons ! well either the owner or the staff are blind , but our room was neither modern nor a kingzise bed !! , infact our bed was something from the 1960s it was that soft that we had to sleep on the outside of it ! unclean , flies on windowsills ,windows didnt close properly , mold on them as well , broken seats in tv area ,the banister going up the stairs was loose and dangerous , heating came on for about 2 hours at night , no hot water , at night ! .My advice is although the garden and the new forest surround this hotel which is nice , it needs some serious attention !!.Breakfast was included in the £169 per night room ! The floor in the consevatory/ dinning area was filthy for the 2 mornings it hadnt been cleaned as both mornings there was a mushroom on the floor where we sat , the coffee was cold , both mornings .We complained about room when we first arrived and we where given room 1 better than room 4 ( out of the arc ) this was better but still unclean ! had to go and wipe the dust of the lampshades and behind the bed was discusting , how can you make up a bed with clean sheets and leave dust behind on the skirting boards , the window in this room didnt close , there was a lovely free standing bath , so thought id have a lovely soak after a busy day ! no chance of that happening , no hot water !.So my advice is although the staff are very pleasant and attentive and they did give us a £40 reduction for having to move rooms, this place spoilt our anniversary break away , dont waste your money here , not until they know how to clean and sort out some serous problems ..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Imogene A, Owner at Woodlands Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
We are disappointed that you had a poor experience at Woodlands Lodge hotel, although I am pleased that the staff tried to make your stay pleasant. I will be speaking to house keeping about the room to ascertain the issues. We try very hard to keep our hotel well cleaned and can only apologise if you did not find it so. I will also investigate any issues with the water as this should definitely be hot whenever you choose to shower. We are a country house hotel and all our rooms are decorated differently, i am unsure what you mean by eco room but I would have to disagree with you regarding the bed as it is king size and rather than decor being out of the arc, room 4 has a classic country house decor. Once again our sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay and thank you for your comments.
Reigate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have just come back from New Forest where I took my 4 year daughter for her half term break. It was our first time there and after a significant amount of online search, I finally chose The Woodlands Lodge Hotel on the strength of their website, the secure and welcoming surroundings and amenities in the property. Our plan was to use the hotel as a base and go exploring the nearby attractions. As soon as we checked in, I saw an envelope waiting for me on the bed with leaflets and a personal note from Imogen about the activities of interest for youngsters. It was a very small but priceless gesture displaying the fact that the establishment cares for its guests and are mindful of what they might enjoy. The staff were spectacular during our stay- very warm, friendly and always forthcoming with helpful suggestions, efficient service and a very cheerful approach. The food is very well prepared- top quality. My daughter had a fantastic time at the property as did I. It was a brilliant break, excellent price, super service and great surroundings. I cannot recommend this place enough. I will be visiting again in the future- just a 90 minutes drive from London and you get transported to another world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kartikeyashukla
London uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Totally redecorated,in a so beautiful place with Views to the New Forest.Calm and relax stay.Staff very friendly and helpful and a nice Restaurant.I always travel with my little dog and he has never been so welcome in any hotel in my country as in Woodlands lodge.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a much needed two night stay at Woodlands Lodge Hotel and I cannot fault it. Staff were very friendly and attentive. Food was amazing and creative and we certainly left with full tummies and feeling very relaxed and refreshed.
Our room was comfortable ( the bed was very soft, but that is a personal choice), clean and spacious.
Breakfast was delicious and it was good to see that all ingrediants were locally sourced.
Thanks for a great break!

Amersham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We chose The New Forest as the location for a night away on our anniversary. We wanted somewhere with the forest around and so chose the Woodlands Lodge Hotel. We opted for a deluxe double room and the dinner, bed and breakfast package. For us the setting was ideal and the room was clean, spacious and nicely decorated; the views from our windows were very pleasant; the en suite bathroom had both a shower and a whirlpool bath (sadly time did not allow us to try this out). The evening meal had a reasonable choice (not extensive - but frankly I am always suspicious when there is too much on offer). It was well prepared and well presented and very enjoyable. The manager and staff we met were friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodlands
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Woodlands Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!