“Decent food”

Ranked #3 of 7 Burley B&B and Inns
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Decent food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We ate here after cycling in the Forest. The inn was fairly busy but our order was taken fairly quickly. I had a cream tea, the children had lasagne, or ham,eggs and chips and my husband had a curry from the special dish. The food arrived fairly promptly although the cream tea was delivered before the rest of the food. All of us found the food pleasant and the staff were friendly. There is a generous terrace for those who enjoy outdoor eating and Burley is a lovely village.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Ash, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent the day in Burley with the majority of time spent in the Burley Inn as we wanted to relax and have a spot of lunch. The barperson was lovely and couldn’t have been more helpful in telling the story of the village and the famous witch that lived there.

I had a small appetite scampi and chips for lunch, not wanting to ruin my dinner that evening, and was surprised at how big the portion was! I had to leave some chips and everything was piping hot and fresh. The menu and drinks were very reasonably priced and I look forward to returning here at the end of the month. Thank you for a lovely day out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MVCM3565
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Really poor standard of food. The cauliflower was black and should have never been served. The wait for food was over 35 minutes. The staff were fairly inexperienced at dealing with a busy summer evening. Not worth the money.

1 Thank JSD2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Well, the setting is lovely and the pub looks nice from the outside. We chose to eat here because the much nicer looking beer garden over the road was telling potential customers that there would be an hour wait for food and we were in a hurry. As it happened, we waited almost an hour here, but the staff didn't have the courtesy to warn us of that. When I ordered at the bar, alarm bells rang as I overheard another customer tell the lady behind the bar that she didn't want salad with her lasagne and the lady laughed and said "I wouldn't worry, the salad is just for decoration, it's inedible anyway!" As I then ordered the lasagne for my daughter, I have to agree that she was right about that. The food was as bad as I then expected it to be, the outside tables were filthy and the inside ones weren't much better. We ordered a roast for myself and my son, they had run out of beef, my son's favourite (because it comes with yorkshire pudding) so we ordered the lamb. Upon eventual arrival of the meal, we asked the waitress if my son could have a Yorkshire pudding and she went off to fetch one. She then returned to say that there would be a small charge for the Yorkshire pudding and suggested 50p. I asked if she was joking and even suggested that I could trade one of my undercooked potatoes for it, but as she didn't laugh, I soon realised that she wasn't joking. She was a sweet waitress actually, as was the young waiter and was only relaying back what someone had told her to say. As we opted for two of the tiny pre-cooked, pre-frozen Yorkshire puddings, we handed the waitress our £1. The damp on the ceiling was a help though as it kept us cool on such a warm day. I only wish I could get back the 2 hours of my life that I wasted in this pub ( and the £35 that I spent - not cheap for rubbish pub grub). If only I'd visited the loos before we ordered the food as I'm certain that we wouldn't have hung around any longer. In fact, we're only half way home and it's stomach aches all round. Very very disappointing. Don't waste your time. Just to add, this is only the second review I have ever written, the first a glowing one, so please don't mistake me for a serial moaner.

3 Thank TBakerShenfield
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

As suggested by the title, the staff were very friendly whilst not over familiar and more than helpful to accomodate anyones needs.
Also beer really good (apart form the Stoford Press that ran out) but......... the pub itself is in desparate need of updating. My room was small and tired: the bathroom was worse. Shower bracket fell off the wall, as did the loo roll holder and the tiles were patched with filler/mastic to conceal gaps around the bath.
The food was really poor. I had boeuf bourguignon (or rather beef stew, and in fairness if it had been called beef stew I wouldn't have minded so much) I don't think it had ever seen a glass of red wine. The meal came with veg (cauli peas and carrots) Fair enough but the peas were like bullets and the carrots were huge slices of last years crop. I have an allotment and huge amounts of baby carrots, enough to feed all my neighbours, from a packet costing £2.99. Suppliers can do better, surely? Or maybe the chef should insist on better. Can't be hard to cook a portion of peas, baby carrots and cauli from fresh?
..............................................
Assets; Great location, beautiful countryside, willing and friendly staff. Could be so much better?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Banstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The beers are kept well and the staff were not unfriendly but neither were they particularly welcoming. Interior is standard pub faded nick nacks and the place was deserted at about 10 on a Tuesday in mid summer. Nothing to write home about .

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LargelyMonk
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were sent to the Burley Inn after a mistake had been made with our booking at The Swan, Lyndhurst. On arrival, we were so pleased with the location! Felt like we were right on the heart of the New Forest, ponies galore and a real fairytale feel to the place. Loved the witchy/folklore themed gift shops.When we went to check in at The Burley Inn, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a good size, with all home comforts provided-bottles of water, tea/coffee/biscuits, tv, hair dryer, toiletries, lovely fresh towels, comfy bed. Good view of the village from bedroom window. Very handy to be staying above a pub, which also serves food until 9pm. Great breakfast, with attentive staff bringing top ups of food/drink whenever required. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,651 reviews
Eastclose Country House Hotel

Been to The Burley Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!