“The Buck is Jumping”

The White Buck - Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Burley B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Arrived here at eleven am on 1st January 2014 to an extremely busy establishment. We know the buck from earlier last year ( August 2013) which was prior to its recent refurbishment although we were here for Christmas Lunch in 1978 so it's not new to us!!! What a superb job has been done to enhance this excellent hotel. The rooms have been remodelled with some new suites and rooms added over the original restaurant area. All are extremely tastefully decorated as are the bar and restaurant. The dinner was excellent and served by staff who cared and enjoyed working to create a memorable experience for the customers. Although all staff had worked long and hard over Christmas and New Year dealing with all what the elements could throw at them (storms that had created havoc in the area) they were cheerful and so helpful to all ones requests and needs. If we were to criticise Fullers in anyway over the refurbishment it would be on a couple of minor points but extremely important and that is bring back the hospitality tray to the rooms ( oh for that early morning cuppa) and the large bed in a small room is not health for the shins of the occupants as they navigate around the room. Can't wait to return but will go for the comfy room as opposed to the cosy!!

Room Tip: Go for a comfy room(standard) we had a cosy and bed too big for room although the bathroom was a goo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom C
WhiteBuckInn, General Manager at The White Buck - Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Tom C

Thank you for your lovely review of the White Buck I am so pleased that you liked the transformation that has taken place both downstairs and in our bedrooms. I was equally delighted that you found the team and dinner to be great too.

On your specific feedback about the rooms, our Cosy rooms are standard doubles and we’ve compromised to try to balance space with a lovely big bed for guests to relax in. Huge apologies if your shins suffered a bit. I am however really pleased to say that we introduced our rustic tea trays into our bedrooms mid-January so when you do re-book your Comfy room there will be a cuppa waiting for you.

We will look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We've known this pub for many many years and we have to stay the 'new look' is wonderful. We dropped by for lunch so I can't comment on the rooms. We ate in the Dining Room and although the table was a bit small it was all fine. The service was a little slow and we had to ask for the bottle of wine we ordered but it was nothing major. The food was excellent. The portions were just the right size. We couldn't fault the food. Our only dissapointment was on the way out was to see a member of staff sitting at the bar reading a newspaper and the 'maintenance man' discussing maintenance with someone in a very loud voice!! Apart from those two niggles all was good. The new White Buck deserves to succeed and we will visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lacey42

Thank you for your review of the White Buck I am pleased that you like our new look and that your food was excellent. Having only just re-opened when you visited we did rather a few contractors finishing bits and pieces off, so I’m sorry if this was a bit intrusive on the day you visited. I don’t discourage our staff from spending time at the Buck when they finish their shift as they love spending time here as much as our guests do. It’s likely that one of the team was relaxing after a shift at the bar when you visited, although we do now have a table in the pantry so staff have a place to relax on their breaks.

We will look forward to welcoming you again in 2014.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Ate here on New Years Eve 2013 as a family with young'ish children and what a change. The service was good , the food was excellent and the whole atmosphere has improved since the much needed refurbishment. Would happily recommend to any family especially those with children.

Dear DuncanJohnson

Thank you for your lovely review of the White Buck, we're so glad you enjoyed your visit. We do aim to welcome families and couples alike so I am pleased you enjoyed your time here with the family.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Used to be a regular diner here, having family in the immediate area. Unfortunately, when they moved away, the drive was just the wrong side of spontaneous eat out distance and I've not been there for a couple of years.

We only ate and didn't use the rooms so the review is of the restaurant only.

Ate twice over the Christmas period the first was with my staff on a Christmas dinner and second with my family for lunch on new years eve.

The refurb is nice and the new layout better than before although, having liked the place before, turning a grand country villa into a shabby chic stable doesn't do it any favours - my taste though so not one I could hold against anyone.

On our evening event, there were a couple of moans about portion size in the starters but, speaking personally, if they were any bigger I wouldn't have had desert. The general agreement though was that the food was excellent, as was the service and I would recommend it.

I have returned to a number of eateries based on an outstanding visit, only to find that they let themselves down a little (usually because they are only really tested when they are busy). Happily this wasn't the case on this occasion with excellent service and food again.

The ambience was damaged a little by a large party of families all with younger children who, whilst all well behaved and controlled were a little loud. I like kids but with everyone in the pub having to speak in raised voices to make themselves heard, the competition became a little too much. My recollection of the White Buck's previous incarnation was that the dining area was carpeted which may explain why there was so much noise this time.

Food was excellent, although we were kept waiting for our table and then the food but not to an extent that bothered us.

I have two children who both ordered from the, excellent, children's menu, my eldest had the burger which was a little small and disappointing when we had been watching all of the adult burgers going past your table whilst we waited. That said, surprisingly filling as he couldn't finish it.

The reason I've not called this excellent is that, on the NYE visit, there was just a sniff of "hanging on" in terms of coping with the volume of covers,staff and management did not seem to be communicating well and there were a couple of inefficiencies being exposed. (The credit card reader having to be programmed away from the table was one meaning that the big table who were splitting the bill, took ages to clear, I nearly paid double the actual bill because the previous customer's account was still on it. Little things though, we will be going again.

Dear jimbo37_11

Thank you for review of the White Buck, I’m so glad you enjoyed both your visits, the food and the service. I am sorry that one or two things weren't quite 'there' and I do understand your sentiments regarding slightly noisier tables with lots of childern. At the White Buck we aim to welcome both families, couples and adult parties alike and we do try to ensure that guests with different needs can sit with a certain amount of separation, on really busy days like New Year's Eve, this isn't always possible.

Its fair to say we did have a number of challenges over the festive season, most beyond our control, so I am pleased this did not impact negatively on your expereince with us and will be visiting us again in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Ate here as a family, worth the trip food and service very good. Only downside there was no bread or one of the particular desserts but lovely otherwise. Didn't stay here but looked at the rooms and they looked lovely.

1  Thank loulou9685
WhiteBuckInn, General Manager at The White Buck - Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear loulou9685

Thank you for lovely review of the White Buck, I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit, the food and the service. I am sorry that we were missing 1 or 2 items from our menu, we did have some supplier challenges over the extreme weather period and this meant that some items could not be prepared.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Visited to day for boxing day lunch and what a difference! Greta new decor and love the stuffed puffin.
Slightly cramped on a table for 6 although we had pre- booked...
The Food was excellent espically he Venison hamburger I had. The lamb shank also was very good.
Kids portions a little small.
I must say Terri & Gemma looked after us and were fab! Thank you so much...

Dear Fish4junk

Thank you for lovely review of the transformed White Buck, we're so glad you enjoyed your visit, the food and the service from Gemma and Terri. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to them both.

Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Normally one of our favourite New Forest pubs. Today they fell below par. Food was okay at best, but as one of our meat eating party commented, he'd had better roasts at the Toby carvery. To be fair, the vegetarian options were very nice, but not great. Very poor selection of veg with only just enough to go round. Booking was made with dog, and while this was accepted at the time we were basically told to hide him as we were in the main restaurant. Waitress was condescending, shouty and bossy. They completely disregarded two food specific (allergy related) orders and had to take two plates back and replace them and cocked up the dessert orders.

They have recently been refurbished, have suffered from power cuts during storms, and were very busy, so maybe they were just out of their depth on this occasion, but none of that excuses the basic admin errors and a waitress that lacked basic people skills.

Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come post refurbishment as usually much better than this.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike E

Dear Mike E

Thank for your review of the White Buck, I was disappointed to hear of your experience in December. I do hope you will try us again in the New Year as we aim to ensure all guests have a fabulous time and a warm welcome and I’m sure you would not be disappointed on a return visit.

Pippa O'Gorman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#4 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to The White Buck - Hotel? Share your experiences!