“Welcome back”

Ranked #1 of 7 Burley B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Welcome back”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Used to be a regular diner here, having family in the immediate area. Unfortunately, when they moved away, the drive was just the wrong side of spontaneous eat out distance and I've not been there for a couple of years.

We only ate and didn't use the rooms so the review is of the restaurant only.

Ate twice over the Christmas period the first was with my staff on a Christmas dinner and second with my family for lunch on new years eve.

The refurb is nice and the new layout better than before although, having liked the place before, turning a grand country villa into a shabby chic stable doesn't do it any favours - my taste though so not one I could hold against anyone.

On our evening event, there were a couple of moans about portion size in the starters but, speaking personally, if they were any bigger I wouldn't have had desert. The general agreement though was that the food was excellent, as was the service and I would recommend it.

I have returned to a number of eateries based on an outstanding visit, only to find that they let themselves down a little (usually because they are only really tested when they are busy). Happily this wasn't the case on this occasion with excellent service and food again.

The ambience was damaged a little by a large party of families all with younger children who, whilst all well behaved and controlled were a little loud. I like kids but with everyone in the pub having to speak in raised voices to make themselves heard, the competition became a little too much. My recollection of the White Buck's previous incarnation was that the dining area was carpeted which may explain why there was so much noise this time.

Food was excellent, although we were kept waiting for our table and then the food but not to an extent that bothered us.

I have two children who both ordered from the, excellent, children's menu, my eldest had the burger which was a little small and disappointing when we had been watching all of the adult burgers going past your table whilst we waited. That said, surprisingly filling as he couldn't finish it.

The reason I've not called this excellent is that, on the NYE visit, there was just a sniff of "hanging on" in terms of coping with the volume of covers,staff and management did not seem to be communicating well and there were a couple of inefficiencies being exposed. (The credit card reader having to be programmed away from the table was one meaning that the big table who were splitting the bill, took ages to clear, I nearly paid double the actual bill because the previous customer's account was still on it. Little things though, we will be going again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WhiteBuckInn, General Manager at The White Buck - Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear jimbo37_11

Thank you for review of the White Buck, I’m so glad you enjoyed both your visits, the food and the service. I am sorry that one or two things weren't quite 'there' and I do understand your sentiments regarding slightly noisier tables with lots of childern. At the White Buck we aim to welcome both families, couples and adult parties alike and we do try to ensure that guests with different needs can sit with a certain amount of separation, on really busy days like New Year's Eve, this isn't always possible.

Its fair to say we did have a number of challenges over the festive season, most beyond our control, so I am pleased this did not impact negatively on your expereince with us and will be visiting us again in the future.

Best wishes
Pippa O'Gorman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
nw3
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Ate here as a family, worth the trip food and service very good. Only downside there was no bread or one of the particular desserts but lovely otherwise. Didn't stay here but looked at the rooms and they looked lovely.

1 Thank loulou9685
WhiteBuckInn, General Manager at The White Buck - Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear loulou9685

Thank you for lovely review of the White Buck, I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit, the food and the service. I am sorry that we were missing 1 or 2 items from our menu, we did have some supplier challenges over the extreme weather period and this meant that some items could not be prepared.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Visited to day for boxing day lunch and what a difference! Greta new decor and love the stuffed puffin.
Slightly cramped on a table for 6 although we had pre- booked...
The Food was excellent espically he Venison hamburger I had. The lamb shank also was very good.
Kids portions a little small.
I must say Terri & Gemma looked after us and were fab! Thank you so much...

Dear Fish4junk

Thank you for lovely review of the transformed White Buck, we're so glad you enjoyed your visit, the food and the service from Gemma and Terri. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to them both.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Normally one of our favourite New Forest pubs. Today they fell below par. Food was okay at best, but as one of our meat eating party commented, he'd had better roasts at the Toby carvery. To be fair, the vegetarian options were very nice, but not great. Very poor selection of veg with only just enough to go round. Booking was made with dog, and while this was accepted at the time we were basically told to hide him as we were in the main restaurant. Waitress was condescending, shouty and bossy. They completely disregarded two food specific (allergy related) orders and had to take two plates back and replace them and cocked up the dessert orders.

They have recently been refurbished, have suffered from power cuts during storms, and were very busy, so maybe they were just out of their depth on this occasion, but none of that excuses the basic admin errors and a waitress that lacked basic people skills.

Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come post refurbishment as usually much better than this.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike E
Dear Mike E

Thank for your review of the White Buck, I was disappointed to hear of your experience in December. I do hope you will try us again in the New Year as we aim to ensure all guests have a fabulous time and a warm welcome and I’m sure you would not be disappointed on a return visit.

dorset
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We didn't stay because the bedrooms are currently being refurbed but definitely this is now a place you definitely would want to. Dog friendly, absolutely stunning interior, by far the nicest place to visit in the forest, elegant and welcoming, open fires, comfortable seating and a great looking new menu. You will go back when you have tried it

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank barbie 1
Dear Barbie 1

Wow what a fantastic review, thank you so much. I am delighted that you loved all the 'foresty' aspects of the White Buck as we are very much part of the New Forest.

I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day at the Buck.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We live just down the road from the White Buck and used to go there for the odd drink and that was about it; it was old and tired and really quite expensive for what it was.

However, now it's beautiful! The recent refurbishment is absolutely stunning. Can't believe it is the same pub! The food was really lovely and the staff were very friendly! It is still quite expensive but we were much happier to part with our money this, it is somewhere we are very very glad to call our local!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 972123abc2013
Dear 972123abc2013

Thank you for your review of the White Buck, I can't tell you how pleased I was to hear that you are now very glad to call the White Buck your local, that is high praise indeed. I am delighted you found our food to be good and staff to be friendly and although I am entirely biased, I do agree that the refurubishment itself is absolutely stunning.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Best wishes
Pippa O'Gorman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,669 reviews
Moorhill House Hotel
Moorhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Burley

Been to The White Buck - Hotel? Share your experiences!