“Excellent in parts”

Moorhill House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I would have been prepared to score very good in view of the excellent customer service all round. However, I was very annoyed to find that I had to query my bill on departure as regards the inclusion of the half bottle of wine consumed the night before with our dinner. This was a Red Letter Day experience which included a "Dinner allocation of £25 per person .." Our total dinner including wine came to £49.50 for the two of us. Nowhere did the information state the allocation was for food only, hence our surprise. Anyway, the Asst Manager agreed it was not clear & took this charge off but it was annoying. Also the £1 cheese supplement is strange, we didn't get a satisfactory answer to this. This episode somewhat blighted our perception.
We were also very disappointed with the swimming pool; would be ok for very small children.

Room Tip: Room 30 overlooks kitchen area with very noisy extractor, even with the windows closed . They change...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

I am sorry about the confusion caused by the wording of the £25 dinner allocation, and will ensure this is investigated and changed if necessary. We use locally made artisan cheese which are more expensive than the mass produced cheese. We could offer the cheaper cheeses but feel our guests appreciate the opportunity to sample New Forest cheese from the menu. I do hope that despite these issues you had an enjoyable stay and would consider staying at one of our hotels in the New Forest again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We have just returned from sunday lunch at the moorhill house hotel which i purchased on a travelzoo deal along with two other friends, the reviews i read had been mixed so we were all pleasantly surprised at the outstanding service we received from friendly and professional staff. The lunch was very good and plentiful and presented very well. The hotel is tucked away down a single track road and we were able to enjoy pre dinner drinks and our after dinner coffee on the patio of the very nice gardens. Many thanks for exceeding our expectations and we will definitely be coming back

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidajunkie
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The location of this hotel could not have been more beautiful. It was clean and tidy with friendly staff.
There were beautiful log fires and, whilst it was well maintained, clean and airy, it maintained the feel of a large country house and it did enable you to feel relaxed.
My room was extremely impressive, large (it had both a double and a single bed).

The only down side was the food which, whilst very impressive, lacked the ability (despite warning) to fully cater for a dietary requirement.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank adrian_wylie380
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I booked MoorHill House for 3 nights in order to be local to a business orientated meeting in Ringwood. I did read the comments on here and looked forward to the pot holes! Reminded me of the Range Rover Experience I had and put my training to the test! Readers will be pleased to know the holes were filled following day after my meeting however you will need to drive round the wide range of animals on approach which is part of the local history.
I arrived late and had a choice of a sandwich for dinner which was perfectly fine although the kitchen chose the content and assumed I eat meet and luckily did! Peter welcomed me to my colorless basic room and instantly noticed the musical floor boards! With a presentation the following day and arriving late I needed to get some sleep. As soon as the rain started the gutters outside window of room 2 were full and a waterfall cascaded down onto flat roof and kept me awake. Sounded like filling an empty bucket. Morning came went for breakfast and young lad laying the tables ignored me so I made myself known! The main waiter was fantastic throughout breakfast very professional client orientated. I came back from my meeting and mentioned the gutters to reception who instantly came to the rescue. Although I was prepared to stay in the room upon unblocking the gutters they chose to move me to room 15 which is an attic room. Again colorless however functional. So within 10min I had a new better room and overwhelmed by how helpful the staff were. Later that evening I saw the young lad that grunted at me during breakfast he was now barman! I thought I would start conversation over the lack of Guinness glasses and from there this lad turned out to be excellent in service and very educational. If I had not seen him that evening I would most certainly marked his card.
Food throughout my stay was faultless apart from breakfast which for me was disappointing across choice and quantity along with cooked breakfast which I have had better at the local cafe. In fairness I don't think really Ive had a good cooked breakfast in a hotel so lets settle for average. The Cleanliness of the rooms and associated areas beyond spotless almost clinical not a spec or cobweb, Hot water was rare more tepid in both rooms along with low pressure.
My meetings ended and after stressful week I extended over the weekend to continue with a solid nights sleep and good customer service all round. For the money I would not expect anything else and all the staff although few I had met were wonderful and great asset to this hotel. The Internet is unstable as in it cuts out however I had great phone signal unlike other guests. I would say the area and the hotel is a little odd given the history however I will most certainly come back and stay in room 15 just what I needed really. My first Trip review by the way!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Spent a couple of nights here. Was impressed by the rural location. the front of the hotel is nicely decorated but heading to room 30 seems to go in to second class hotel...If you decide to go make a point of asking for any room but 30 (above kitchen - so noisy - especially opening and closing of the cold room, switching on radio, chatting, walking across the pebbles.)
Breakfast on second morning not brilliant - seemed like staff not up to number of people present, so waiting for basics seemed interminable . Dinner from bar expensive - especially wanting a quick tasty meal. My vegetarian daughter just wanted a small bite and was informed that a starter would be fine - no chance - very pretty but tiny ... Menu in room different to that in bar was informed that the menu in the room was out of date.).

Room Tip: Any but 30
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

As a returning guest who rated this hotel as close to faultless last year I had high expectations on arrival for another RLD Dinner, bed and breakfast but this time the experience was not exceptional. Room 19 was comfortable if a little cramped but there was no mobile signal (at least on EE) in this room and the advertised Broadband was out of service, although I expect it only needed a router 'reboot'. Reception on arrival was an 'abrupt' check-in and a reminder to hand in the key whenever we left the hotel. Unfortunately when we did just that and went out to visit family upon returning there was no receptionist to be seen. After 10 minutes the barman kindly came across to apologise and set about finding someone. 5 minutes later someone appeared to give us our room key explaining that she is too busy with teas to manage. Given the wait we had for seating at dinner (again the same barman appeared to apologise!) I have the impression that resources are stretched at this hotel. The standard of food is still of the highest standard and whilst the style of dinner menu has changed sigificantly the quality was very good albeit on a much more typical bistro style menu. Dinner was interesting with a wrong main meal delivered to the table resulting in a frantic search for rice in the 'risotto' followed shortly after by another waitress bringing the correct Risotto. The decor is looking a little dated in the area of our room and there was also visible signs of mould on the barthroom celing. Having said all that, it was still very good value based on the RLD price paid, primarily due to the standard of cuisine at dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulKGB
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

I am pleased to read that the food was again up to our usual high standards. Thank you for your comments regarding the service, these will be forwarded to the general manager to be investigated further. We are currently in the process of renovating some of the rooms at this hotel and hope you will return in the future for another stay with us.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Some of the reviews on here aren’t overly fair so looking at it clinically I can say that in places it does look “tired” – that said, my room was ok. Bit of a trek to where “all the fun took place” which definitely was no-where near this hotel. It’s a very quiet rural hotel, nestled off some dirt track.

The others staying in the hotel were very mature in years and think its more a hikers hotel. The wifi was ok (in the bedroom it was non-existent) in the main lounge area. The view from my window looked to be some bin dump where there was what looked like 30 dust bins. Bathroom was basic but was a good size and had everything that it needed. Had more than enough towels given at check in and they also gave loads of coffee, tea, milk etc, plus a couple of lil biscuits. Nice not having to ask them to provide extra and just to get the extra when you arrive to your room. Normally hotels are quite tight on these kinds of things.

Room was a good size and had a comfy bed, television (I did find it curious that they have a desk under the tele and plug sockets half way up the wall about 2/3 metres from the desk….. bit random but again not a problem as had a plug socket under my bedside to charge my phone.

Parking was fine and the staff were really friendly and helpful – all of them were. The hotel restaurant which was the only place to eat was a bit too formal for my liking (not a negative – but more personal preference) and there wasn’t too much on the menu I liked (again personal preference). I ended up having a burger but if like me you don’t like a pink burger then you will need to specifically tell them how you want it cooked as they never asked me (I just assumed all burgers would be cooked through), it seems it will automatically be served pink (or raw as I liked to call it). I'm sure they would have changed if I had asked but think if there is an option of how the meat is cooked then the option should be given to the customer and not decided by the kitchen.

They gave a book of information at check in which was a nice touch and included loads of leaflets etc. Shame I wasn’t there longer as I would have liked to have sampled some of the local things. The bathroom tap water was also confirmed as drinkable which was good to know as I have always had a thing about drinking tap water from the bathroom taps. It also had a bar (looked like an “old man pub”) which was actually really nice and very much in keeping with the design, type and style of property (a plush modern wine bar would have looked a bit silly). It also had a leisure area (which was a small pool, a sauna and a place to change. Although the pool is quite small, it was quite refreshing and a nice lil treat. The sauna is by the changing rooms and is like a small cabin you need to turn on which is good so has energy save. The changing room more resembled a domestic bathroom than a changing room but to be honest, anything else than what was there would have been a waste. I can see how the pool could be too small if you have to share it with others…. Was fine for me as no one was using the facilities when I was there so had the whole thing to myself which was nice.

Things I never liked about this hotel

1) as some have already commented in other reviews – the road entering the grounds is basically like a dirt track literally covered in pot holes (the road surface resembles the surface of the moon). I was going over it at less than 5 miles per hour and felt like I had been chucked in a blender. Wasn’t worried about being thrown about as never had my nan or a baby in the car but was definitely worried about this road messing up my car. Hotel owners: I don’t know if you own this road, but know you have rights of way for sure – this road is terrible and needs fixing. Not everyone drives a moon buggy. Fill in these craters – its an insurance claim waiting to happen!

2) the floor boards are creaky – big time. The slightest noise you worry about disturbing the other guest. I resorted to taking off my shoes when I got to the top of the stairs to try and minimise the noise they were making underfoot (after about 11 the whole hotel falls into silence – with the exception of these floors boards creaking about. It’s an old property so though so expect this will happen to a degree.

3) As an energy efficient hotel it seems they turn the lights off after 11pm which is lovely until you want to leave your room to get some air or whatever after lights out. I had to make my way from my room, navigating two sets of steps and all in the dark. On the way back I mis-judged the steps and almost fell down them ….. luckily I am fairly stable on my feet. The only light is the ambient light plus the small light coming off the emergency fittings (showing they are emergency lights) With dark carpets and only ambient light how are we meant to see the steps in the dark not knowing the intricacies of the hotel? Couldn’t find a single light switch (obviously because it was too dark to see) and there were no light sensors in place (if they were, they were not working).

On the question of whether I’d stay here again then the answer is yes I would as my experience wasn’t bad overall. The hotel is traditional and is nice. Its relaxed and quite peaceful and in places its drawbacks can also its positives (i.e. it was quiet – but then I need complete darkness and silence which I sleep which I was able to get without any problem, also it was peaceful and calming). I would say the two key things this hotel needs to consider and consider soon are items 1 & 3. As they are by far and away the most concerning of all. Item 1 can cause damage to the property of its customers and seems to have been in this condition for a while. We don’t expect to travel to your hotel to only at the last hurdle have our cars trashed entering the grounds. Item 3 actually has the potential to be extremely dangerous to those less stable on their feet and adding darkness to the equation is a recipe for disaster. By all means have the lights off after a certain time but at least fit sensors to allow those staying sufficient time to get from their room to wherever they may need to be.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FairReview1309
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!