“Good pub grub!”

The Queens Head
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Burley
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Queens Head is situated some six miles from the nearest town in the very picturesque village of Burley, on the edge of the New Forest. We are a country pub with country ways attracting clientele who enjoy seeing the wildlife and variety of animals in the surrounding fields. These include deer, ponies, cows and donkeys. The pub dates back to 1645 and is rumoured to be an old smugglers haunt. This was reinforced when, during a refurbishment, treasures like old pistols, coins and bottles were uncovered here. There is also an alleged underground tunnel running between Burley Manor public house and this one. The front of the building has never been changed and inside has retained original features from at least 100 years ago. With alcoves, nooks and crannies, you can hide away and enjoy a quiet drink or meal. Meals can be enjoyed in the restaurant or outside in the garden during the summer months. This is a lovely old pub frequented by really friendly local characters and passers by alike.
London, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

visited with my wife on a wednesday evening and the place was positively bussing.
Good food, well served and reasonably priced. The onion soup was really good and I would recommend this for a starter!

• Visited October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Peacehaven
“Excellent service and amazing food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

After reading some reviews we were a bit hesitant to eat here but thought we'd give it a try. What a pleasant surprise, i couldn't fault decor , food or service. Very impressed

southampton, England.
“I no longer recommend this pub to freinds”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We ate here recently and having always found good standards previously were greatly disappointed at the dramatic decline; the clues were there before the meal arrived. Previous diners plates lay uncollected at empty tables for ages, the knives and forks had not been replenished and staff seemed to be rushed even though the pub was half empty at 1.30 on a Sunday .
The food is partly the reason for the poor rating, my fish was the driest fish ever served, I'd not asked for mushy peas, when added to luke warm chips on a cold plate it resulted in the poorest meal I have experienced this year.

Over the past few years Green King made great efforts to improve the front of house, the new garden and the kitchen refurb last year for a so why do the staff no longer smile? Have staff been cut to save money? After a walk we normally stay for a desert & coffee, but not this time. We were considering a Christmas lunch but that thought has disappeared along with our future custom. A pub that used to sparkle has gone dull and flat.

1 Thank MrDartmoor
Southampton, United Kingdom
“45 minute wait and they got the order wrong. ”
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Still sat waiting for my meal which they mucked up despite writing the instructions down on the order. Brought my husbands order out a fair while before mine turned up anyway so I am say watching him finish his meal and I have nothing. Not the sort of nice pub lunch you would expect in the New Forest where there's plenty of places to chose from - my advice is to avoid the queens head.

1 Thank tobyseraflynn
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Certainly not the Queen of Restaurants.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were on holiday. Friends took us to the above and were highly embarrassed. The Sharing Platter was cold and suitable for one, having only 3 pieces of chicken and 3 very wet mushrooms, luckily there were 4 pieces of wedges. Horrible. The second was disasterous. Chicken Pie for two diners consisted of a breast of chicken covered in sauce with a piece of pastry on top. My Aubergine bake was twice cooked without any sign of cheese sause on top. We will not mention my husband's steak pie! We decided against pudding for obvious reasons.I left behind a very expensive pair of specs and when I called in to enquire whether they had been found a lovely helpful cleaning lady tried to help, Damien it seems was in the office and too busy to help. Perhaps just as well I might have mentioned the meal.We now have a caravan very near we will not recommend.

1 Thank Jennifer S