“Goof Food and Friendly Faces”

The Old Station House Tea Rooms at Holmsley
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Burley
Cuisines: British, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in the fantastic splendour of the National Park, a taste sensation awaits you at this former Victorian railway station. Meet, greet and enjoy the best food and drinks for miles around, in a comfortable, relaxed setting. You won't be disappointed.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were first taken to Station House a couple of years ago when visiting friends who live in the Forest. That time we were able to sit outside and we had the most amazing cream tea, despite the fact that we arrived not much more than half an hour before closing time.

We paid our second visit there last Saturday, this time at lunchtime, although we were only looking to have a snack rather than a full meal. The two men in our party of four asked if bacon rolls were available and despite the fact that they are only on the breakfast menu, were told it would be no problem to get these made. We ordered our teas/coffees which arrived promptly, and did not have to wait long for our snacks, although our very friendly waitress still apologised for the delay and thanked us for our patience. All the food we ordered was excellent and yes, perhaps it is a bit more expensive than some places but then the food is locally sourced and freshly prepared and it is slap bang in the middle of the New Forest.

Overall, we have thoroughly enjoyed our two visits and would go back at the drop of a hat.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were so disappointed with the Station House Tea Rooms. Four us drove out from Bournemouth last Sunday in the pouring rain to enjoy a typical Sunday Cream Tea. We were greeted (not strictly true) we were nodded at by a very tall man who neither smiled, made eye contact or welcomed us in any way. He wandered over to the far corner and stood between 2 tables with arms outstretched, one which had been cleared and one which had not. Clearly the one that had not had just been vacated and was the much nicer table, so we said we'd like the one in the corner, well Basil Fawlty appeared, he huffed and said it hadn't been cleaned yet and we said all smiles, no problem we weren't in a rush. We moved toward the table and he barked at us saying "Could I ask you not to sit down until we've cleaned the table" - I smiled and said "Of course no problem" and I promise on my children's lives I was as sweet and nice as could be. We were with friends we haven't been out with before we weren't wanting any fuss. It was cleaned by a very efficient but non communicative waitress and we sat down. Us two ladies had a wry smile and we decided on our order. The same guy came back, didn't ask what we wanted just stuck his head forward and raised his pencil and pad. As he took each order, he neither smiled, engaged in any form of conversation other than to ask in a surly voice what drinks we wanted. 6-7 minutes later 2 pots of tea and 2 cappuccinos arrived, served by a pleasant young lady......but no scones. 10 mins later when we had finished our drinks and still no sign of the scones, despite 2 tables that came in after us were served, my Husband called to the waitress and said we hadn't had our scones but the drinks had been here a while, she said, "They're on their way" and didn't even look up from the table she was clearing. They did arrive shortly after and I have to say the cream tea was delicious, but what an unpleasant bunch of people and in today's recession I would have though people would court business. So very disappointed and would never go again, there are too many places offering scones, cream and jam to put up with poor and ignorant service. Good job we were a happy foursome with lots of chat as if my Husband and I had been on our own we would have left at the point we were told to stand by the table and wait by Mr Grumpy, sorry should have got his real name, but the description suits.

2  Thank jillybugBath
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was taken here by older British friends on a week long visit to them in Dorset. The Station House was a yummy a Tea as any I had up in London. Very friendly proprietor, servers and delicious scones and fruit tarts. Charming atmosphere.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I walked into the cafe and was told to go and wait by the door. We waited ages to order our food and it took about an hour and a half to arrive. No apology and we were charged for the bread we ordered to tide us over when we were told it would be another 20mins! They clearly didn't want our custom again.

2  Thank Keandrew10
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was cycling in the New Forest with my son and his young family, so there were three generations of us, but the restaurant catered for all our tastes and made us all welcome. Really enjoyed lunch here and would definitely come again.