“Disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 9 Restaurants in Burley
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Because of good tripadvisor reviews we went in for lunch on a Friday, only a handful of customers had braved the rain so lots of choice where to sit in this deceptively spacious and characterful Restaurant.

Coffee was poor quality as were the 2 Salmon Fishcakes with salad and fries for £8.99. I expected homemade fishcakes at this price but they were exactly the same as Birds Eye Salmon fishcakes, i.e. small, uniform and tasteless. Bit cheeky at this price, at least the menu did not say they were homemade! I know I should have complained at the time but sometimes you are so hungry you are halfway though the plate before you make up your mind that it is well below par for the price.

Beef Baguette was far better, good quality roast beef, nicley rare. However, on a sample of two meals there is no compelling evidence to warrant a return visit.

5  Thank TimKee

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I stopped here after a walk in the forest with my daughter. The staff were welcoming and friendly, and were happy to accommodate my meal request for my daughter.
I had the 'ham, egg and chips', which was very good. The ham was thickly cut and very tasty.
I would say the prices are a little bit high, but it would not stop me from returning in the future.

8  Thank tinbiz
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Good service , staff in Halloween outfits . Wide range of hot and cold food. I fact there's too much choice , as you want to leave room for the delicious cakes and desserts. A walk in the forest afterwards is a must

9  Thank eve r
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Had one of the Old Farmhouse Christmas menu's which consisted of 3 courses with a choice for each course at a great price I have to add.

So a party of 5 of us went along, only to find that our table was set out beautifully near the fire, with Christmas crackers and streamers in readiness for us.... all very festive and welcoming.

The staff were fantastic and so attentive to our every need and interacted with us at our level (and our sense of humour can be droll and dry at times I have to say !... well done staff !)

We were all seen to immediately with drinks and left to ponder over our order, and when ready we began....
In between each course, we were offered another drink if we were out, and it wasn't too long nor too short to wait during the course waits either which is a bonus.

Food was delicious on all counts and we all had something different.... I had the pate with red onion jam to start with and there was plenty.
Followed by turkey and all the trimmings.... My husband had the roast beef and said it was cooked to perfection as was the turkey.

All desserts were different.... the traditional Christmas puddings were not your usual blob of pud with a dollop of cream....it was sliced neatly with cream surrounding and glazed fruit on top with sprinkled icing sugar which made it look extremely attractive and not too daunting (too much after such a large dinner).
The crème brulee was superb ! light fluffy, tasty and yet the caramalised topping was crispy and tasty.

This was then washed down with a lovely coffee and a home made mince pie (all included in the price of £17.95).

I have been here before on a few occasions outside of Christmas and have never had a bad meal or snack, so I wasn't surprised that this pre-Christmas dinner was as good as it was to be honest with you.

The staff are very pleasant, and from some reviews I have read that say they were 'offish', I think its the way the staff are treated by customers that may reflect how they are treated back ???

All in all a truly wonderful place..... clean/comfortable/great food & atmosphere/value for money and well worth a visit if in Burley ...

9  Thank HampshireJC
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We popped in for a quick lunch, I had the starter pate which was a large enough portion and hubby had baked potato. The tea rooms are very quirky, lots of atmosphere, the staff are efficient young girls who did not have the warmest welcome but nevertheless. I would certainly return and next time chose the scones as they looked yummy. Yet again pooch Bailey was able to sit under the table while we ate.

9  Thank providence