“Regurgitated food and a Ruined day”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Ranked #17 of 30 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stopped in here for a celebratory lunch on a Saturday afternoon because of it's proximity to the boat hire across the road; our plan was to go on the river after lunch. We sat in the beer garden at the back which seemed lovely, and ordered two meals and a couple of drinks which seemed a little steep, but not overly expensive. The waitress seemed very confused about where different food orders were going, and after nearly an hour's wait, our food arrived. When the food did arrive, presentation wise, it looked lovely. However, the food was awful and was ridiculously salty (we had to order two pints of water to remain hydrated). We got about half way through our meals when my girlfriend had to go to the toilet to throw up (she's never thrown up after eating food before). I also felt a little dodgy so we decided to leave. We could no longer hire a boat, as we both felt sick still, so we started driving and had to make an emergency stop outside of Hampton Court Palace so my girlfriend could throw up the rest of the fish finger sandwich. I had wasted time and money, and what was previously a lovely day was ruined.

2  Thank Trav_OLs

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This pub has a great atmosphere, views over the Thames and a big car park to the back. There is a small outdoor space that is great if you have kids or just want some air.

The menu changes regularly and keeps in with the seasons. We had a steak, lovely big steak and chips with huge onion rings. It was prompt and fresh. Also the lamb burger with raita and chips.

There was live music in the corner, but not so loud that you couldn't hold a conversation. Very buzzy atmosphere.

Great portions, good service and a good selection of "gastro pub" meals. I've been back many times and always a safe bet as very consistent.

Sarah B, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hi,
Thanks for your kind words... We all work really hard to look after everybody and its really nice to get such positive feedback!
We hope to see you again soon.
P.s. we have live music like that every Saturday night, just in case you are at a loose end ;-)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Having spent the morning and early afternoon at Hampton Court Palace gardens, we decided last minute not to drive home for lunch but find a local pub.. the one's closest to HCP and on the river were full (well it was touching 26c on the mercury!).. so we drove a little further towards Hampton and found this delightful Gastro pub whilst sitting in traffic!.. RESULT!. Even better that they have their own car park!
As the sun was out it would have been rude not to sit outside.. the place is not huge, but a good size, there are ample tables outside on the terrace and a little conservatory for those afraid of burning in the sun..
The staff were very friendly, lovely and quite smiley (always a good sign!).. the food menu was pretty good for a pub, with some lovely sounding dishes... you will have food envy whilst waiting for your dishes to come out!
Wifey had the Garlic & thyme roasted Chicken Caesar salad, and I went for the absolute peri-peri poussin.. they were yummy and quite scrumptious.. to top it all, one of the best CHIPS (both thin crispy and chunky) I have had for a pub lunch...
Hats-off to the kitchen and the waiting staff.. lovely to have such smiley and cheerful looking after you..It's also a relief and great to hear that the meat, seafood, cheese, veg ALL come from a local suppliers and the pub is an independent not a mega-chain..
it's very likely we will be heading back if the weather holds out or one evening for dinner...

Sarah B, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your lunch at The Bell Inn. You are right in saying that we are not a mega-chain but we do have a sister pub, The Kings Arms which is actually on the Lion Gate entrance into the palace just in case you are ever visiting again! Thanks very much for your kind words. The team work very hard to give good service and food so I will ensure the team know your feedback.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The pub has its own car park which is great. The food was varied well presented and tasty. The selection of drinks was fine.
Would I go back, yes I would great to find somewhere with character and different from the chains.

Sarah B, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Hi,
I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon :)
All the best

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went here for Sunday lunch and I wish we hadn't bothered. The potatoes were rock hard, as were the veg, the meat was fat and not much actual meat. The service was appalling, no smiles and they read our order back to us and still managed to miss one out! All in all I have to say there are better places to eat in the same area and I wouldn't waste my money going back.

1  Thank topsurreybird
Sarah B, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Hi,
I am really sorry you didn't enjoy your lunch with us.
The team at The Bell Inn work very hard to look after everybody and we know we don't get it right all of the time. We normally get very good feedback about our Sunday lunch and serve a little under 300 people every Sunday. Did you mention it at the time to the manager, so they could correct it for you? Our meat comes from an excellent local butcher and the veg and potatoes are normally so good so i can only apologise that it didn't live up to expectations on this occasion.