“An unexpected surprise...”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Having spent the morning and early afternoon at Hampton Court Palace gardens, we decided last minute not to drive home for lunch but find a local pub.. the one's closest to HCP and on the river were full (well it was touching 26c on the mercury!).. so we drove a little further towards Hampton and found this delightful Gastro pub whilst sitting in traffic!.. RESULT!. Even better that they have their own car park!
As the sun was out it would have been rude not to sit outside.. the place is not huge, but a good size, there are ample tables outside on the terrace and a little conservatory for those afraid of burning in the sun..
The staff were very friendly, lovely and quite smiley (always a good sign!).. the food menu was pretty good for a pub, with some lovely sounding dishes... you will have food envy whilst waiting for your dishes to come out!
Wifey had the Garlic & thyme roasted Chicken Caesar salad, and I went for the absolute peri-peri poussin.. they were yummy and quite scrumptious.. to top it all, one of the best CHIPS (both thin crispy and chunky) I have had for a pub lunch...
Hats-off to the kitchen and the waiting staff.. lovely to have such smiley and cheerful looking after you..It's also a relief and great to hear that the meat, seafood, cheese, veg ALL come from a local suppliers and the pub is an independent not a mega-chain..
it's very likely we will be heading back if the weather holds out or one evening for dinner...

Sarah B, Owner at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your lunch at The Bell Inn. You are right in saying that we are not a mega-chain but we do have a sister pub, The Kings Arms which is actually on the Lion Gate entrance into the palace just in case you are ever visiting again! Thanks very much for your kind words. The team work very hard to give good service and food so I will ensure the team know your feedback.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The pub has its own car park which is great. The food was varied well presented and tasty. The selection of drinks was fine.
Would I go back, yes I would great to find somewhere with character and different from the chains.

Hi,
I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon :)
All the best

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went here for Sunday lunch and I wish we hadn't bothered. The potatoes were rock hard, as were the veg, the meat was fat and not much actual meat. The service was appalling, no smiles and they read our order back to us and still managed to miss one out! All in all I have to say there are better places to eat in the same area and I wouldn't waste my money going back.

1  Thank topsurreybird

Hi,
I am really sorry you didn't enjoy your lunch with us.
The team at The Bell Inn work very hard to look after everybody and we know we don't get it right all of the time. We normally get very good feedback about our Sunday lunch and serve a little under 300 people every Sunday. Did you mention it at the time to the manager, so they could correct it for you? Our meat comes from an excellent local butcher and the veg and potatoes are normally so good so i can only apologise that it didn't live up to expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'm not sure if it's the same bell inn than the people went in the others reviews, as our dinner was just superbe.
The team was very nice and attentive, i took a burger which was very tasty and my wife ate a salad which looked really yummy too and than apparently was.
The outside garden is very lovely. We will definitely go back!!

Hi,
I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us...
I am sure all the reviews are for our pub... Unfortunately the majority of people only review if there has been an incident or problem and although we serve over 2000 main meals a week and get great feedback it is the tiny proportion of bad reviews which get noticed.

Many thanks for your great review :-)
We hope to see you soon

Reviewed June 26, 2013

have just returned from a dreadful lunch at the bell - two club sandwiches - a bit of chicken, ciabatta and dried up bacon - £6.95, chips not cooked, it was evident after 40 minutes and very few other visitors that they had forgotten our order but denied all knowledge and then threw together the food.
we have visited this pub and the other related pubs on many occasions and this one seems to be losing the ability to deliver what the others are achieving, - good gastro food at a reasonable price served well.
if you set yourself up to be excellent then you have to achieve it.

1  Thank foodieht

Hi,
Thank you for your review; it is always disappointing to read that we haven't measured up! could i ask you to contact me at info@absolutepubs.com as I would like to find out in more detail what happened.
We work very hard to look after all of our customers however I appreciate mistakes happen and when they do we work really hard to rectify them and look at how to avoid them again in the future but we do need some feedback in order for this to happen.
I look forward to hearing from you.