Madonna Halley's Hotel
Hindes Hotel(Harrow)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I've had some amazing times in this hotel, an excellent place to take a one night stand!..I must admit I did feel sorry for the people in the rooms either side as the moans and groans penetrating through the walls must have been abit upsetting! ..if you ask the manager nicely he will even slip you a few comdoms :) ..

• Stayed: March 2013
8  Thank David2015
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We chose this particular venue to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday because it is local and my parents had celebrated their golden wedding anniversary there 16 years earlier and we all had good memories of the event. We held the surprise party in the afternoon for about 45 guests. Chris, the manager, was very helpful and friendly right from the moment that we contacted him to make a booking. We really did feel that he had our best interests at heart and wanted to make the party as successful and special for us as he could (which he achieved 100% ). He was totally open to arranging the rooms and determining the menu to suit our requirements. The afternoon tea which the hotel served was plentiful, tasty and served by the hotel staff in a friendly and efficient manner. Our guests were intrigued and delighted by the hotel with its ceramics and fantastic garden and arches. Certainly a venue to place at the top of your list if you are thinking about holding a celebration in the Edgware/Stanmore/Harrow area

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed March 1, 2013

A big thank you - coming rather late, sorry!- to Chris and his lovely family and team members for the most wonderful meal. The turkey was out of this world and the service and atmosphere - superb. Thank you Master Chef Chris :-) xx

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank saddlethosehorses
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception here. It was last minute, about a week's notice and they came true. We were initially uncertain about this hotel after reading the reviews, however, we were somewhat pushed to the wall. Id say it was quite pricey for the quality of food served HOWEVER the service and hosts well make up for it. I would just suggest that the hotel adopt a much more professional service when making the booking as we would have cancelled our booking if we had had the choice. All in all an enjoyable reception. We would recommend the hotel as a venue.

Room Tip: We didnt sleep at the hotel but used it as a wedding venue. What they lack in professionalism, they make up in service and a personal touch! Thank you!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rabisco
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having stayed at the Madonna Halley's Hotel quite a few times over the years since June 2006; I'm fully conversant with all the faults and problems which besiege this particular establishment.

From a wobbly washbasin in my en suite, to no plug being available for the washbasin and having to plug it with a washcloth, to no bedside light and reading by torchlight, grotty stained carpet in the bedroom which was eventually lifted at a later date and replaced by more hygienic laminated flooring - to when I witnessed water seriously leaking through the kitchen ceiling one evening and helped to mop up! It was like Fawlty Towers without Basil and Sybil directing operations!

The hall door was constantly kept locked and guests/callers had to ring the doorbell to attract attention and gain entry.

The overwhelming atmosphere and character of the place could best be described as mock Mediterranean/Gothic - with the decor, dodgy grouting and tiling, cleanliness, soundproofing, plumbing and electrics requiring a total overhaul to bring standards up to modern travellers' expectations.

Chris, the hard pressed Manager - and son of the Cypriot family which owns the hotel - runs the Reception area and is, seemingly, responsible for the overall management.

Imagine my amazement in October last year when I saw the Madonna Halley's Hotel featured on Channel 5's "The Hotel Inspector" with Alex Polizzi. I just had to watch and marvel and, needless to say, Alex had a lot of constructive criticism to make and professional guidance and direction to give the Florides family.

After the show - and the ruffling of a few feathers - it seemed as if the MHH had upped its game, given itself a makeover and raised its profile in the local community and hospitality stakes. However, judging from travellers' reviews since, this has just not happened.

The hotel's prices have increased without the commensurate level of improvement in property repairs and fabric investment being implemented. Perhaps the family still find it difficult to apportion responsibilities among its members?

I no longer stay at this hotel as I've found a superior and cheaper one elsewhere in North London. I was hoping to return to the MHH but I think, judging from the disappointing comments to date, this will not be any time soon. Seems that Edgware's Premier Inn still has the edge on the market for value for money - despite Alex Polizzi's valiant efforts to shake up the MHH.

Would I recommend the Madonna Halley's Hotel? Based on my own experiences and travellers' reviews which are still most disappointing since Alex's intervention, I'd have to decline. It seems nothing's changed much.

Room Tip: It's the luck of the draw if you get a good room in this establishment!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo