“A superb family CHristmas”

Madonna Halley's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Edgware
London, United Kingdom
“A superb family CHristmas”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

A big thank you - coming rather late, sorry!- to Chris and his lovely family and team members for the most wonderful meal. The turkey was out of this world and the service and atmosphere - superb. Thank you Master Chef Chris :-) xx

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank saddlethosehorses

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
london
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception here. It was last minute, about a week's notice and they came true. We were initially uncertain about this hotel after reading the reviews, however, we were somewhat pushed to the wall. Id say it was quite pricey for the quality of food served HOWEVER the service and hosts well make up for it. I would just suggest that the hotel adopt a much more professional service when making the booking as we would have cancelled our booking if we had had the choice. All in all an enjoyable reception. We would recommend the hotel as a venue.

Room Tip: We didnt sleep at the hotel but used it as a wedding venue. What they lack in professionalism, they...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rabisco
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having stayed at the Madonna Halley's Hotel quite a few times over the years since June 2006; I'm fully conversant with all the faults and problems which besiege this particular establishment.

From a wobbly washbasin in my en suite, to no plug being available for the washbasin and having to plug it with a washcloth, to no bedside light and reading by torchlight, grotty stained carpet in the bedroom which was eventually lifted at a later date and replaced by more hygienic laminated flooring - to when I witnessed water seriously leaking through the kitchen ceiling one evening and helped to mop up! It was like Fawlty Towers without Basil and Sybil directing operations!

The hall door was constantly kept locked and guests/callers had to ring the doorbell to attract attention and gain entry.

The overwhelming atmosphere and character of the place could best be described as mock Mediterranean/Gothic - with the decor, dodgy grouting and tiling, cleanliness, soundproofing, plumbing and electrics requiring a total overhaul to bring standards up to modern travellers' expectations.

Chris, the hard pressed Manager - and son of the Cypriot family which owns the hotel - runs the Reception area and is, seemingly, responsible for the overall management.

Imagine my amazement in October last year when I saw the Madonna Halley's Hotel featured on Channel 5's "The Hotel Inspector" with Alex Polizzi. I just had to watch and marvel and, needless to say, Alex had a lot of constructive criticism to make and professional guidance and direction to give the Florides family.

After the show - and the ruffling of a few feathers - it seemed as if the MHH had upped its game, given itself a makeover and raised its profile in the local community and hospitality stakes. However, judging from travellers' reviews since, this has just not happened.

The hotel's prices have increased without the commensurate level of improvement in property repairs and fabric investment being implemented. Perhaps the family still find it difficult to apportion responsibilities among its members?

I no longer stay at this hotel as I've found a superior and cheaper one elsewhere in North London. I was hoping to return to the MHH but I think, judging from the disappointing comments to date, this will not be any time soon. Seems that Edgware's Premier Inn still has the edge on the market for value for money - despite Alex Polizzi's valiant efforts to shake up the MHH.

Would I recommend the Madonna Halley's Hotel? Based on my own experiences and travellers' reviews which are still most disappointing since Alex's intervention, I'd have to decline. It seems nothing's changed much.

Room Tip: It's the luck of the draw if you get a good room in this establishment!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank MadamZsaZsa

Travelers are raving about these Edgware hotels

monkeyplex
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Arriving at the hotel we were meet by a couple of chaps in jeans and tshirts who booked us in and took us to the family room which had 3 beds, a desk (no chair) and a bath with a shower (no curtain or head holder)

My colleague who was sharing the room commented on the general cleanliness so we decided to log on here to see the reviews which did lighten the mood , especially the one about the 40 foot chicken and the “dont stay here if you value your life”

Outside our room was a big wet patch on the roof which had started to mould like something out of alien. The room opposite was open and and we were unsure if behind the dark interior was a serial killer or the remains of an old guest (that would account for the smell)

If your looking for an adventure holiday or have ever wanted to find out what its like to stay in a slum then this is the hotel for you.

Good luck!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank monkeyplex
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Chris the manager is a very friendly amicable guy that was eager to please and show me around. Which I thought was very nice and professional.
But there are some things which I thought should have been better, unfortunately there are quite a lot, despite the short stay! Examples are as follows:
I struggled to get my bags upstairs with no offer of help despite being seen to struggle.
Having to ring the bell to get in every time and not allowed to take the key with when you pop out.
No heating controls in the room.
TV confusing, eg ITV was channel 457.
Wobbly toilet seat that moved around when sat on.
Mould on the bathroom ceiling that was a bit smelly.
Previous occupants shower gel cap still in the shower giving the impression of it not being cleaned properly.
Hall way carpet dirty and in need of a Hoover.
Light shades in the hall old and dusty.
Loose broken tea bags in the service tray.
No one supervising at breakfast with an unappealing display of food available.
No one to check us out and say goodbye, reception was rarely manned so we just walked out!
The cost was a discounted 70 pounds excluding breakfast, which was quite pricey for what it was. The following night wet stayed at the premier inn, which was 49 pounds and a far superior experience, even though it was still basic. The garden area was lovely and a lot of money had clearly been spent on it, but I would have thought that investment would have been put to better use if spent on addressing some odd the above niggles. I would book to stay there again, but only as last resort if nothing else were available.

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank humdy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I booked the hotel over my brothers wedding as it is located very close to where i live therefore the location was perfect for me. The stay was enjoyable. The room was basic but clean and comfortable and breakfast amenities was good.

I would also like to mention the beautiful garden which has been crafted with much skill. The place comes to life in the evenings with all the lights and it was a pleasure to spend a pleasant evening in the surroundings with my friends. What a revelation in Edgware! It is truely a very special place.

The hotel has a very relaxed atmosphere and the staff were friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank K H
Reviewed May 12, 2012

great little hotel in north London, just 35 minutes from Luton airport. It was easy to find, and a great ocation 10 minutes walk to 2 tube stations. Parking meant ease with the hire car. The staff were SO friendly and helpfull, they couldn't do enough. The room was clean, airy and comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and nicely set out and we sat in the conservatory under young olive trees. The building is fascinating and this industrious family not only makes music, the largest ceramic pots we'd seen, but make their own tiles, decorations, archways...amazing!
a real gem and a place to remember...oh and a friendly parrot too! we stayed here with 3 kids and had a marvelous time... highly recommended.,,.,!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Dani M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgware
Premier Inn London Edgware Hotel
#648 of 1,063 in London
Hendon Hall Hotel
Hendon Hall Hotel
#432 of 1,063 in London

Been to Madonna Halley's Hotel? Share your experiences!