“basil!!!! but good value for price!”

Madonna Halley's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Edgware
Reviewed November 1, 2011

we are a family of 5 two adults three kids all under 12.
Decided to stop at the madonna halley due to price and the pictures on the booking site.
well to start we recieved a phone call about the week before we arrived to inform us that they had over booked the room and would find us elsewhere to stay and would ring us back the moment they had sorted this....several hours later and after trawling websites ourselves (no other similar priced acommodation available) still not heard anything ... rang myself and the guy chris said it was all sorted we could come ...and to watch hotel inspector that night as they were on it!!! (reassuring) watched the program and felt pleased we were going there as it showed they had updated rooms and improved customer service.....ha ha ha well there is prob one really nice room in the hotel as ours was bog standard -clean but really badly finished - well i say finished thats the issue it just looks unfinished - but once again the price for london is really good and on a tube line too which was only about a 10 minute walk and easy to find. The room really needs sprucing up the velux windows are all broken and one does not close properly and the blinds are really if im been honest unacceptable they are dirty looking inadequate thank god it was not the height of summer otherwise the glare from the early morning sun would have woken us really early...you can see wires everywhere - just shoddy and very inexpensive to solve. Now let me get to the gardens the gardens alone are worth the stay they in my opinion are fantastic and all made and built by the hotel owner - one talented guy - he should sell his stuff in the hotel I would have definately bought something...so why oh why cant they extend this passion into the rooms? one night we went downstairs to see the son of the owner erecting these 10ft flame things for the front of the hotel to attract more attention ... why not instead of buying those kind of things get plugs that fit the bath!!! honest me and my husband was peeing ourselves laughing at the faulty towers style behaviour ....Food is good and we have no complaints about that at all the house wine was also very nice - which is rare as usually it tastes like vinegar ... the only issue we had was there was no menu as the hotel was full of italian students (get to that later) they were accomodating and said they can cook whatever we like but asking two 7 years olds what they would like was challenging so a menu to reduced the possible selection would have been a bonus - but honestly the food was nice - wood smoked chicken and fresh homemade pizza ... also an added advantage the kitchen is exposed which i always like to see if you know what i mean, right the students - all very pleasant enough thats until you want to get to sleep luckily i had ear plugs but the kids did not and were woken sveral times during the night - surely they could be heard downstairs - why not ask them to respect the other guest namely the children!!! and they were loitering on the stairs sat on laptops etc - had to squeeze past them and felt awkward about that - the hotel staff should again ask them to respect other guests! The whole hotel just has a slap dash approach no real efficency to it it did not overly bother us and we would go back if we ever go back to london as a family - but they could make it so much better and if you are reading this review madonna halley - why are you letting the hotel down?? the gardens, flooring, downstairs and art work is beautiful but the rooms are really naff ... some paint, valances, new window dressings and finish off all the diy and you would have a lovely little hotel there!!!
so in a nutshell its ok but could be far better

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank janunky
There are newer reviews for Madonna Halley's Hotel

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I wouldnt normally write a review however after staying at the Madonna Halley Hotel I want to show my appreciation for the family's hospitality.

The Hotel has a lovely Aegean and arty feel to it and is unlike any other hotel I have stayed at on my journeys. It is a family run hotel and I felt very welcome and at home. Thank you so much Chris for your kindness and your dedication in making sure this was a satisfying stay.
An instrumental family too! I enjoyed the music you played for us thank you!
The mosaics are beautiful and the building and art work the father Mr Toulis has done, is fantastic.

Its location is good too as it is just off Edgeware's busy high street and only and a 7 minute walk to the nearest London underground station
Thanks again

Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Nat0129
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed at the Madonna Halley Hotel for three weeks with a group of 15 students from Italy for a language course and this hotel really made us feel at home!!!!
I was worried before arriving and could never imagine what a beautiful experience it would have turned out to be!
We arrived on August 28 at about 10 pm. Although it was late they greeted us with a warm, welcoming smile and served us dinner!!
Quite unusual for any other hotel, but not for the Madonna Halley!
This place is SO SPECIAL! It's UNIQUE!
Its style captures you as soon as you walk in. You are overwhelmed by the manager's speaking, by the creativity and the artistic expressions around you.
You can feel the passion that moves the Florides family's hearts!
They are friendly, helpful,interesting and passionate people. They are constantly paying attention to their guests' needs.
Their homemade food is excellent and carefully prepared.
And what can I say about the many times we were carried away by Tulis and Chris' piano playing! Absolutely awesome!
I will treasure forever my precious memories.
Madonna Halley is an experience to live!
Deeply from my heart I'd like to thank everyone for this unforgettable stay!
Thanks to the Florides family,to Eva, Lumi, Hiren, Ab.
And thanks to Chris,a real SPECIAL person.Thanks for all the precious time you spent with my students and me.
I wish you the best of luck for your future projects and dreams.
I'm sure you will succeed!
I'll miss you.
Thanks again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank lucy r
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Very friendly, helpful staff. Excellent food especially the outdoor oven baked pizza's. The general décor very unusual has the feeling of a Mediterranean holiday.
The general maintenance and cleanliness could be better.

Room Tip: book well in advance
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ROCKER1952
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed one night in the family with friends! The price was amazingly cheap for London and we were very suprised at the room when we got into the room! Lots of space and clean! have paid double the price at other hotels and they didnt even reach half the standard.
The staff couldnt do enough for us even sorting out taxis and telling us where to eat.
The hotel decor is extremly quirky but gives it great character. We loved all the nic nacs around the hotel and gardens.

Only one thing that got us all puzzled was how they got the huge mirror in the large family room into the room!! If you end up in this room hope your mind boggles too!
Wouldnt deffinatly stay here again and have already reccomended it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank spudmush
Reviewed May 21, 2011

The only way anyone would give a good review for this place is if they were doing it as a favour, or perhaps they are more used to sleeping rough on the streets and anything is better than that in comparison!
To summarise firstly I would like to say the hotel appears to be permanently under refurbishment, and at the same time appears to be falling apart within the rooms. Bath retained water, TV aerial had been cut for some reason, telephone within room didn't work, staff mostly spoke no English and would just grin inanely at you thinking clearly this was an adequate response for any given question! Have never, and probably will never stay in a worse hotel! We had the misfortune to stay over new years eve possibly the worst decision I have ever made. We were told during the morning as we went out to London that we were welcome to join their party upon our return. When we did return it seemed it was less a party and more of a hard house rave! The sign outside offered tickets for £25, but of course guests got in free, lucky us! We declined and spent the hours right up until 4am on the third floor up having our room shaken and having to endure a full on nightclub going on downstairs which may as well have been in our room. I've worked in a few clubs but they had nothing on this! Around half four we had finally been able to get into bed when we had a commotion outside and a group of around six people were banging on guests doors and shouting threats to the extent of shooting people even! We barricaded ourselves in and rang the hotel lobby but even after explaining the situation, and the staff only being at the bottom of the stairwell in clear undeniable earshot of what was happening, they did nothing. In the meantime we had called the police who arrived within minutes, thank goodness, and were shockingly able to walk right in to the hotel without seeing any staff and came to our rooms as well as that of a family opposite us. The police removed the people involved, arresting two for their continued behaviour towards the police, and shockingly also the manager confessed these people were friends of his! Later on I even saw him letting a couple of them back in! The family were refunded and chose to sleep in their car, but we were denied any refund, the manager claiming they didn't do that. Hole in the story perhaps!! IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE AND DON'T WANT TO STAY IN A HOTEL THAT DOESN'T, STEER WELL CLEAR OF THIS PLACE AND WARN YOUR FRIENDS! Don't believe the bogus good reviews here at all please for your own sake.

• Stayed: January 2011
28  Thank Surprisedfish
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I stayed for 1 night as I had a job interview in the area. The building was really interesting, the garden reminded me of Gaudi Architecture. I wish I'd had more time to explore the place. The staff were friendly and helpful; drawing me maps to help me get to me interview, allowing me to leave my rucksack during the day and collect before I had to catch my train in the evening.
Lovely, big room with view of the beautiful garden. Slept like a baby. If I get job, I'll need to come back for induction training. I'd definately choose this Hotel to return to.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank nicbing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgware
Premier Inn London Edgware Hotel
The Hide London
#56 of 1,072 in London
Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood

Been to Madonna Halley's Hotel? Share your experiences!