“Excellent food, bit cramped, so-so service”
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Ranked #33 of 91 Restaurants in Edgware
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,118 helpful votes
“Excellent food, bit cramped, so-so service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'd seen all the negative reviews and so was worried as to what would happen when we ate at The Kitchen even though it's the (meat) sister to the very good (milk) Kanteen in Bushey and Brent Cross. It was excellent and I've been twice now I was so impressed.

Modern, with a menu which featured almost all my favourite dishes and with nice touches like 'fakon' and soya 'cheese' to accommodate kosher dietary laws. The burgers were very tasty and I like the option of the no-bun burger. Service was so-so; nothing wrong but nothing remarkable. They must be doing something right - on each occasion the place has been packed!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank NBLondon

London
“Ruined our evening, won't set foot in there again”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

So much went wrong with the evening and the staff appeared to put so much effort into making the whole situation worse that I will never set foot in the place again. I don't think I have ever been spoken to in the way I was at The Kitchen, and if I had been surer of my consumer rights, would have walked out without paying because of it. Tables are packed in, on the night we were there, our waitress's English was poor, I had a problem with the food that they didn't want to correct and the rudeness was off the scale. Luckily there are several other kosher restaurants nearby who do appear to want me as a customer, so I am going to them. I have no idea why anyone goes there.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank lemonadepocket
Chigwell UK
“Terrible service, food ok”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Four of us ate at this restaurant tonight and were singularly unimpressed. The staff were slow, in attentive bordering on rude. It took 40 minutes to bring 2 salmon dishes, a kebab and a beef with beans dish. The waitress when asked at 30 mins what was happening blamed it on the fish! We're they catching it fresh. Mind you from the state of the grilled salmon they probably had cooked it for that long, the chicken kebab was apparently v dry.

The waitress bought two glasses of tap water but forgot the other two and we had to gesticulate like we were waving to a ship at sea to get the attention of a waitress to bring the other two. Definitely one to avoid. My salmon didn't taste too bad and portions were large but not cheap.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank MCNS
London
“The food is alright but the service is simply abysmal - really don't go!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The food here isn't bad but it's far from exceptional. The menu is the stand out thing here as the options are akin to non-kosher offerings plus some usual traditional kosher fare. However much of the food is a tad on the bland side, the burgers tend towards dry and overdone and the long rolls are cheap and tasteless doughy affairs that let their fillings down badly....and this is the good bit.

The service is just horrendous. The first time I visited this restaurant the staff were rude and unhelpful with an unwelcoming attitude that grew to resentment should a diner interrupt their personal conversations with requests for say drinks or to place an order. Don't expect speed here either - we had to ask several times for a diet coke that eventually materialised once but this didn't stop the staff from adding it to the bill for each unanswered request for it to he brought to the table! - this means you'll need to check your bill for duplicate charges and then argue for them to be removed.

We put the first bad experience down to a one off and decided to try again. This time it was worse. Our table wasn't ready when we arrived despite booking well in advance. The staff, however, refused to acknowledge our arrival, making efforts to avoid eye contact and even waving us off with their hands. Whilst we were waiting to be seated two other bookings arrived, both of which were given similar avoidance treatment. Nearly half an hour later our table was finally ready but one of the waitresses falsely had told another similar sized booking that we had tried to steal their table and we only narrowly avoided an unpleasant altercation when we all discovered the waitresses malicious statements were merely an attempt to distract customers from the staff's own inefficiencies.

Upon trying to sit down we were pushed and shoved out if the way by impatient waitresses who couldn't wait a few moments for us to make it into our chairs. Then we tried to order water for our entire table of 6. The first four requests achieved a grand total of 3 glasses. I mentioned this to the unapolagetic manager and asked for the remaining three glasses - some ten minutes later a rather perturbed waitress slammed a further six glasses of water on the table as if to make a point.

The rest if the meal was less eventful although very slow with any request for drinks or cutlery met with resentment and attitude. Waitresses were too lazy to come around to the table to clear plates, instead reaching over furniture and expecting us to stack and pass crockery to them.

We did try to raise some of these issues with the manager at the time but she was utterly disinterested and not one apology was forthcoming. What a way to ruin a family outing for no good reason.

All in all, I don't expect this restaurant to last long and we certainly won't be returning any time soon. What a terrible disappointment this restaurant has been.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank BANL
London, United Kingdom
“Got my order wrong but still tasty!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was working round the corner and thought I'd nip in to get a sandwich for lunch. Ordered the BLT baguette, but when I got back to open the bag up, it was a schnitzel & sweet chili sandwich. That said, it was very tasty - just disappointed that I didn't get what I'd wanted. Going back in a few days for a proper meal so will re-review then.

• Visited June 2013