“Amazing atmosphere”

Description: Indian Bar and Grill with a Kenyan twist
London
“Amazing atmosphere”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great place to watch some footie, have Pint and get some curry. The vegetarian options are good although have had better. But it an all-in-one venue this place is really good.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank M_Shah_7

• Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food, Nice Cold Drinks, Bitter After Taste”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Another Sunday lunch at Regency, which serves the best tasting indian food for many miles. I made the 60 mile trip especially to go here, with my wife and 3 children (Ages 13, 4 and 2), as Sunday lunchtimes is a specific time when under 18's are allowed. My kids love the food here also. As Sunday's tends to be quieter, we actually ordered a bunch of starters over a couple of courses. These included the wonderful Regency platter which consists of varied tandoor BBQ'ed meats (Sheek Kebab, Garlic Chicken, Chicken Tikka, Lamb Mushkaki, Lamb Chops), Garlic Mogo, Crispy Bhajia and Harabhara Kebab. All of this food, as usual was delicious and consistent and we really enjoyed ourselves for the few hours we were there. The waiter who served us was very helpful, friendly and knowledgable.

For drinks, we had the Regency Pills Beer, which is bit like a strong Kingfisher, Rose Wine (standard 1/4 bottle) and an alcohol free beer called Rothaus which is the best alcohol free beer I have tasted.

So as usual, the 120 mile round trip was not an issue to have the most delicious food. However, the end left us all with a bitter taste as we were subjected to the "Rush of Pankaj" which if you have been on a busy night, I'm sure you may have experienced. Pankaj is the head front of house and he is essential in placing people at their tables during busy periods as wait times can be very long. However, I have never really experienced this on a Sunday as it is quieter and we have been quite a few times on Sunday's. At around 4pm, we had paid the £100+ bill and finished. My Wife and Children had gone to the toilet as we were going back onto the Motorway back home to Milton Keynes and I was at the table waiting for them. A large lady (customer) comes over to my table and rudely says "Are you finished?" to which I explained I was just waiting for my wife and children to return from the toilet and we would be about 5 minutes. She abruptly sat down elsewhere and told Pankaj. By now there was plenty of space. Pankaj then comes over and says if I could move off the table so that this new customer could be seated, so I gathered my childrens bags, my wifes handbag, my childrens coats and moved onto a bar stool waiting for them to return and the lady customer moved onto the table. Now, what really wound me up was that she was alone; her family had not even arrived at the restaurant yet and they only arrived once my wife and children had come from the toilets. In the rush, we also left behind some items of my children's, but these were returned to us by Pankaj.

I understand that such is the good reputation of Regency food that it is super busy and they need someone like Pankaj to manage the busy periods, but when it is 4pm on Sunday afternoon, I think the extra 5 minutes my family needed could have been accommodated before being moved off our table, especially when the next group had not even fully arrived and we had spent over £100 on essentially Sunday lunch and we were with 3 children.

Regency has a very active social media presence, a very loyal fanbase of foodies and regulars (to which I count myself) and an expanding reputation to a wider geographic area (like myself who travels from Milton Keynes to eat here). I think they just need to try and find some balance between clearing customers from tables efficiently without the customer feeling intimidated or being treated rudely. The good food can only last so long until one becomes so fed up with the customer service that even the food will not bring them back.

However, for now, I will be back as the food is that good. I'm hoping I can just avoid the "Rush of Pankaj"!

• Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great Tasty Lunch”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It was our first time at Regency Club, as children under 16 are only allowed on Sunday when most of the time the restaurant is heavily booked up. We were initially sitting on the benches but in fact the Manager was so good and managed to find us a good seating. The service was amazing with the tasty dishes such as Spicy Mushrooms, Garlic Mogo and mains mixed vegetables medley, Black Urid Dal with fine hot Roti's.

London, United Kingdom
“Best Indian food outside of India”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have been a regular for 14 years. It never fails to impress. Great food, great atmosphere, great service. SIMPLY THE BEST.

Watford, United Kingdom
“Busy but Excellent Food”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I came here to meet friends for a great meal. I knew the food was very good as I have visited with some Indian friends before. When I arrived I was the first of the group there. I asked the head waiter if we could have a table, but he told me to wait until my friends arrive which was fair enough really. You can book a table but my Indian friend could not get through on the phone earlier in the day. Anyway, I got a drink and sat down at one of the tables with the stools in the middle. This was fine and soon my friends turned up. We ordered a fish dish, mixed grill and sone nann breads to start with. We then went on to have a chicken curry, lamb rogan, rice and more nann. The food here is excellent - so much better than an 'English' curry house. You can really taste the spices even though we asked for our food to be mild (comes out medium). The bar was heaving, especially as it was a Friday night. Also, after we finished our food we were asked to vacate our table, but we considered this to be fair enough as the place was so busy. If you can handle the surroundings (busy bar, more pub-like atmosphere) then come here and have a great tasting real Indian curry.