“Overnight at The Red Lion , Uxbridge .”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Uxbridge
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a lovely pub / restaurant / hotel . 6 of us went down to London on 24 Aug to watch Wigan beat Hull at Wembley . This was a repeat booking as my friends stayed here last year.
We had a superb lunch before getting the train to London .
The evening meal did not REMOTELY disappoint , Beautifully cooked , prompt , friendly service and , for London , very well priced . The rooms were clean , spacious and fitted the bill perfectly for an overnight stay near London.Finished with a terrific English Breakfast , freshly cooked ( NOT a buffet ) and promptly served . Certainly 5*Service and Food .

2  Thank bjl257Knutsford
There are newer reviews for The Red Lion Hotel

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for the challenge cup final,all the staff were friendly and it was nice to stay in a place with a bit of character instead of a sterile large hotel.The room we stayed was very comfortable with a fridge and a safe.The food at the red lion was really good we ate there when we got back from Wembley on the Saturday evening.I was pleased that we took the breakfast option as the choice and quality was excellent.We spoke to other guests who were there for the rugby and they had stayed at this hotel many times and I can see why,as we will certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteveAM68
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here as a lone business traveler for company meetings in Uxbridge. This is a 17th century hotel that looks small yet has a surprisingly 55 rooms with a full service restaurant and pub. The room was comfortable and very clean - I arrived very early on a Sunday and they were accommodating. The staff was very professional and pleasant and they had a taxi waiting for me every day in the a.m. to get to the office. There is not much to see/do within walking distance so this hotel is more for relaxing/business stay. I had dinner twice in the restaurant and the food was good, hot and the service was quick and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KMRadz
Reviewed August 20, 2013

As a party of 4 , we meet up every few weeks for a meal and catch up . We were disappointed with the restaurant menu so asked for the bar menu , eventually we settled for the bar menu . Uninspiring to say the least , the food was fine but no more than a dinner at home , service was acceptable , no more no less.
Over all a let down , especially since the pub is fullers... I would have expected more ?
We shant go back , nor recommend.

Room Tip: We only used the dining facilities in all fairness .
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Redmond W, General Manager at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for taking to give your feedback after your visit to The Red Lion Hotel, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I note you do not plan to return, however if you would consider changing your mind, please give me a call beforehand on 01895 236860 so that I can personally ensure you have a more memorable and pleasent dining experience.
I look forward to receiving your call.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed wth a group of friends on a Newmarket Holiday
Terribly chaotic when we all arrived together, orgnaisation was not good. Once you get a room allocated finding it is some thing else - the reception, dining room and bedrooms and not well sign posted. Also our room looked straight onto a brick wall!
Dinner was nice but the menu was totally different to the menu provided in the rooms.
If on a bus trip need to ensure you pay immediately otherwise you are bombarded with telephone calls - we owed £6 and received no less than 3 calls to remind us to pay!
Rooms clean but management need to reveiw the use of old fashioned shower curtains

Room Tip: Request a room not looking onto a brick wall
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to The Red Lion Hotel, it is unfortunate that your coach dropped you off at the wrong door when you arrived last Sunday, resulting in you having to navigate your way to Reception and then to your bedroom after your long journey.
With regard to you being asked for payment when you received your room service breakfast, we normally take a credit authorisation from guests when they check in, however when we do not have the credit card details we do ask for payment on reciept of the meal or drink.
I do hope these little set backs did not detract to much from your enjoyment of your visit to Buckingham Palace.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am a Tour Manager with Newmarket Holidays and we stayed at the Red Lion last weekend. The young lady at Reception booked us in without any delay and the group all enjoyed there stay.
This hotel has old England charm and the rooms are well appointed and the restaurant have a good menue. We had a good breakfast which we were able to upgrade and the service was quick considering we were a large group.
The hotel is positioned on a nice village square directly opposite the village church.

Room Tip: just ask at reception
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Emyr P

Dear Emyr
Thank you for your kind comments following your visit to The Red Lion Hotel.
I am delighted you found the hotel charming and that you enjoyed your dinner in the Restaurant. Hopefully we will see you back soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year for business (this is my first and only review). My first experience was poor, this experience better.

Location
Despite the number of companies with offices in central Uxbridge there are almost no hotels other than the Travelodge above the bus station. My company uses the Red Lion which is about a 30 minute walk from Uxbridge tube. There are buses which take around 10 minutes if there is no traffic. You would not book this hotel if you wanted to travel back and forth to central London as the trip takes at least 90 minutes each way and you could find a hotel much closer to the centre of London for the same price or less.
The hotel is attached to an old English pub across the road from an old church so it looks nice from the outside. The hotel is built around a funeral parlour which could be a bit off putting but as long as you don't think about it, once you are inside you wouldn't know it was there.
There are a few shops across the busy road should you need anything and one or two alternative choices for dinning.

Rooms
The rooms are pretty boring and standard. The furniture is a bit dated. TV on the small side.
There is a selection of tea, coffee and biscuits in the room and the highlight was that there was an iron and ironing board - perfect when you are traveling for business.
The room was clean but could be cleaner - during my previous stay the room was not clean so I found it better this time.
It was relatively quiet during my stay but I was not in an area where there was many rooms and the room looked on to a wall so no outside noise.
There is good wi-fi throughout the hotel. The only annoying thing is you have to log in each time as it doesn't allow you to stay connected if you switch your phone off.

Meals
Breakfast was included in the room rate. The full English breakfast is good but you may be a little disappointed if you are having anything else as the choice was limited.
I also ate dinner one evening and the food was fine.
One thing to be aware of when ordering a glass of wine is that the staff never ask which size you would like and they always bring a the larger more expensive glass. I spoke to the manager about this during my previous stay and the practice continues.It's quite disappointing that they do this. So, if you're on expenses or do not want a large glass make sure that you state this clearly when ordering.

I stay here because I have to and it is probably the better choice in the area. I suppose that if you want/need to stay in this area then the hotel if fine for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Avoid any room looking on to the busy main road
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank User_AMS

Thank you for your review of the hotel and your assessment of the bedroom and dining facilities. We do endevour to look after the business traveller in a more homely way, than can be found in some of the larger 'branded' hotels in the area.
I have taken on board your feedback regarding the size of glass offered to guests when they choose wine by the glass.
When you are next in Uxbridge on business please ask for me so that I may have the pleasure of meeting you in person.
Again my thanks for your constructive feedback.
Redmond

Also consider these accommodations in or near Uxbridge
Travelodge Uxbridge Central
The Barn Hotel
The Barn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ruislip
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!