“Guest house from hell”
Review of Brunel Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uxbridge
Brunel Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Uxbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2008

I was visiting my father who was a patient at Hillingdon hospital and had been supplied with a list of guest-houses in the area. I decided on this one after the owner told me that it was less than half a mile from the hospital. In reality it is at least double that.

I can honestly say that this is the grottiest place that I have ever stayed. I cannot believe that places like this still exist in 2008. On arrival I was asked to pay for my accomodation before being taken up to my room. On seeing the room I understood why. Anyone seeing the room before paying would have walked straight out. I will never fall for that one again.

The room was dark, dingy and smelt. The curtains were old and discoloured and far too big for the window. The bedside lamp shade had come away from the lamp and was torn. It was black from the heat of the light bulb and covered in stains. It was absolutely disgusting. The pièce de résistance however was the mattress. To say it was fit for the dump would be a huge understatement. In any other household it would have been thrown away years ago. It was thin and lumpy with springs poking out everywhere. I went to sleep fully clothed. The radiator was discoloured and covered in brown stains from where it had leaked in the past. Loose teabagas were left in an open whicker basket on the side. I had absolutely no intenton of using them or the kettle.

A threadbare towel, not much thicker than a tea-towel had been left on the bed. There was a small sink in the room. Only the cold tap worked. There was a communal shower room with toliet which, I declined to use.

Breakfast consisted of a fried egg, a spoonful of beaked beans and three thin sausages of the cheapest variety. They were almost hollow and tasted disgusting. I left them.

I can honestly say I would rather have stayed in the foyer of Hillingdon hospital than stay in this pit. I cannot belive that a place as sub-standard as this is allowed to operate as a guest-house in the twenty first century.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo