“Overpriced average food and disorganised service”
Review of The Brownlow Arms

The Brownlow Arms
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Overpriced average food and disorganised service”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I actually think we dined here on the same evening as the previous reviewer as it very much mirrors our experience.

Menus looked great, service was prompt and friendly. However, we were brought starters even though the waitress was stood beside us taking our order. The wine arrived after our food which was just placed on the table. We weren't asked if we'd like to try it nor was it poured.

My starter was the cheese souffle which was drowning in cheese sauce, not great. My husbands starter was the bacon hash and was very bland.

My main course of lemon sole was excellent but my husbands main which was fillets of John dory was too salty with overcooked crayfish. We both had the brownies for dessert which were excellent.

The service throughout seemed disorganised. We too believed that we had been given the wrong table, there was plenty of staff but not a great deal of service. The manager (owner?) stood at the till all evening and did not interact with diners at all.

All in all, won't return as we feel it was overpriced for what it was and we can get enter, closer to home.

• Visited April 2013

Grantham, United Kingdom
“Good in Parts”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We visited the Brownlow Arms for my birthday and were impressed by the initial welcome which was warm and friendly. Choosing out meals in the pleasant bar was relaxing and the service prompt although I don't appreciate being called sweatheart (twice) as I feel I am being patronised. When we went through to our table there was a bottle of wine on it which we hadn't ordered which was swiflty followed by two starters which again we hadn't ordered. When we pointed both issues out we were told that we must be on the wrong table; the starters were removed but not the bottle of wine. No real apologywas ever given for the mistake. It was only when I pointed out the wine must be for the table opposite did the waitress remove it. The meals themselves were excellent but we thought that giving diners a basket with just two small portions of bread was false economy and necessitated us asking for more. We did enjoy the evening but the service seemed haphazard and we heard another 'mistake' at another table being rectified and a couple complaining about a wait for food to be served. The ambience is great and the food quality excellent so it is a pity that the whole experience couldn't have been better overall.

• Visited April 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Deserves the Awards”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The food was fantastic, the service was excellent and very friendly. Not the cheapest of meals, but certainly worth every penny.
Being vegan I had phoned ahead when booking to warn them and on arrival they had a menu printed out for me with several options.
A beautiful country pub and restaurant that thoroughly deserves the best pub restaurant of the year award it received.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Yes !”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This really was a delight from the moment we walked through the entrance .The atmosphere , staff who smile , food that is above and beyond whilst the bedroom was spacious and Oh so comfortable - thankyou to all at The Brownlow.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank didicum
Esher, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Simply lovely food. Quality . Pricey but then the quality is such that it is worth it. Special occasion venue.

1 Thank dukenukem007