“Camping - Great park let down by toilet facilities”

Tattershall Lakes Country Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tattershall
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a great sunny weekend at the end of May, a group of 5 families with children aged 2-13 years in both tents and tourers. The park offers facilities for most age ranges and it has great potential. We enjoyed our break but were very disappointed by the toilet block. We were based on the Woodland retreat camping field, an all grass area which seemed great for our group and offered the opportunity to camp in a sociable circle.
The issues we encountered however included:
The shower/toilet block on this part of the field where we camped appeared to be quite new but was never particularly clean throughout the long w/end, even after I arrived at the block just after cleaning; were regularly out of loo roll; were in bad state of repair all w/end with only one light bulb working in the 10 or so cubicles on one particular night (eventually replaced) wobbley seats, broken coat hooks and no soap dispensers in any of the separate toilet/shower cubicles. During the w/end the showers were scalding hot (temperature couldn't be altered), to the point where we had to go to another block a walk away. The toilets were soon filthy from the transfer of grass into the toilets - since the units had both toilet and shower within the cubicle, this meant that there was an abundance of traffic using the cubicles and what appeared to be not enough staff tending to them; so you had to contend with filthy floors when showering if you did get past the scolding water issue.....
Although the toilet block looked modern and new, unfortunately it wasn't fit for purpose at any point that I used it, which is a real shame as otherwise this would have been a nice location.
We went for a walk to the park one evening and noticed how cramped the tents and tourers were around the children's play park, it was mayhem, so we definitely had the better location....
We paid for the break in Jan when offered half price and paid £42 for 2 nights. I would have been very disappointed paying full price as we didn't use the pub/club or any of the other facilities this w end, it was mainly pitch based socialising and walks in the end due to the nice weather.
We are going back in October for a hot tub break, this was booked before we camped and hope this will be a much better experience.
I would like to hope that the Mgmt will take note of the reviews pointing out that a park of this size needs much more regular maintenance inspections and cleaning schedules to ensure the very basics are acceptable and then I'm sure this will mean families can enjoy the rest that the park has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SallyB1978
Greg L, Guest Relations Manager at Tattershall Lakes Country Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thanks for your review Sally although I am sorry you were disappointed with the facilities on Woodland Retreat. We do have dedicated cleaning teams for tour various blocks of facilities but it does boil down to who uses the facilities before you. I am sure from other reviews left on this site that you are aware that we also had a problem with vandals in May but luckily that was only for a short period of time. As Operations Director for Away Resorts I read & respond to every review and any feedback left for our parks and take what I think is the appropriate action. I understand you are not tenting & touring when you return to the park in October, but I would ask that you please take a moment to check out the facilities & report on what you find as I am very interested in hearing your opinion.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We towed our trailer tent 175 miles and were very pleasantly surprised. The setting is wonderful, the staff extremely helpful and everything is clean and tidy. The kids enjoyed the water sports and our four night stay was relaxing and enjoyable.

The only negative points are that the bar area and toilet facilities are perhaps a little limited for such a vast park. Having said that, the staff work extremely hard to keep on top of everything.

All in all, a great camping experience. We shall most certainly return.

Room Tip: For camping/caravanning, go midweek. It gets really packed at weekends.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Greg L, Guest Relations Manager at Tattershall Lakes Country Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Ah, another pleasantly surprised guest - just what I like to hear! Glad to read that the kids enjoyed the water sports as making memories for our younger guests is what we are all about. The bar area & toilet facilities can seem limited when the park is busy which is why I liked your room tip - the park is always much quieter during midweek!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had a fantastic time at Tattershall lakes. Fantastic service, toilets and showers cleaned all the time. We camped next to the park and the children had so much fun. They had the cinema on for the children and we found the camp site good value for money, Free swimming pool. The park about 25 minutes from Skegness and other attractions. The only problem we found was the toilets didn't have electric sockets. If going camping at Tattershall go electric hook up. I think me and husband will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Great 5 star appraisal Kelly of all of the facilities on park and it was extremely refreshing to read that you found us good value for money. looking forward to your return!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The website portraying the size and the amount of glamping tents was quite misleading as think the picture was given from another site.
Good mix of tents and cabins. Excellent security and felt safe at nighttime. overall a good stay our next one will probably be in the cabin

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for your short review Nicola and glad to read that you will be coming back to us in the near future. Just to reassure you, the photos used in our brochure and on our website were all taken at Tattershall Lakes Country Park.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed in sycamore 4 for 4 nights. The lodge itself is lovely. Quiet location and nice decor. It is let down by the fact that there is no cleaning equipment and despite asking for a Hoover or sweeping brush on numerous occasions reception did not deliver. We were promised these things and they did not arrive therefore the lodge was in a pretty dirty state when we left as we also had a toddler with us. Not what you'd expect from self catering accommodation. Our biggest problem we had was with the fridge. It started beeping incessantly as soon as we arrived and was 'cooling' food at 18 degrees. A quick Internet search told us that this meant it was broken. On the first day we reported this to reception and were told that someone would come and look at it. Assuming this would happen we went out for the day. When we got bak home the fridge was still not working so I called the out of hours number who said no one was around and we would be seen in the morning. Again the next day we went out and on our return the fridge was still beeping and running at 18 degrees therefore we had to throw out more food. The weather was hot so it was important to have a fridge. Instead of reception leaving us a message we went up again to ask what was going on. Their response was it is broken and the alternative was to move to a caravan. We had paid for a lodge and had unpacked everything so this was not ideal. So that was their solution, no attempt to bring us a mini fridge or even communicate what was going on. I am sure that if you own your own place on this site it is great but as a visitor to it the customer service is just rubbish. No one seems to communicate with one another, no one responds to problems that you may encounter and I really don't think I would return which is a shame as the site is nice. I think that some training is needed regarding interaction with guests and a better phone manner from reception. The only person we spoke to who was polite and helpful at any point was the manager. On a final note we had booked a lodge which on the Internet is shown as a log cabin style. On arrival we were given a big caravan. I know now that these are classed as lodges but in reality if you're expecting the picture on the Internet it's unlikely you will get it and be told that the images on the Internet are for illustration only. Basically their website does not reflect reality and for the visitor that is just tough! Up to you if you book here but I would look around as there are loads of caravan sites in the area and if its not fishing or boating you want then elsewhere is probably going to be much better. They are rated number one in tattershall as I don't think there are any more in tattershall.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank ChristinaKa

Thank you for your compliments regarding the lodge Christina however I must advise that we do not supply cleaning equipment within any of our accommodation - see our brochure & website for what is provided within our accommodation. We do however ask our Housekeeping team to attend if a guest needs their services and I can only apologise if this did not happen despite your request. Much like at home, we can never tell when something will need a repair and we do not keep a stock of mini fridges on park. Unfortunately when a large item like a fridge breaks down in a holiday home it is not always easy to supply a replacement which is why you were offered alternative accommodation instead. Whilst I understand your hesitancy to move, I do think this would have been the better option given how hot the weather has been. Had you moved to a caravan, naturally the difference in cost would have been refunded to you. When a maintenance issue is reported to us, it is necessary for the guest to remain in the accommodation whilst a repair can be carried out or alternatively they would need to leave a key with our Guests Services team in order for the Maintenance team to attend.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Firstly to calibrate the terrible review the park has great potential with newish facilities and if you are in a static or log cabin it may be ok however if your an owner and rely on rental income are you likely to give a totally unbiased review ?.

Stayed here for 3 days in our motorhome, chose the site because of the advertised facilities. We had a hard standing fully serviced pitch and when we set up found the waste to be an open sewer pipe, grass around the pitch had worn away leaving mud and tripping hazards. The main field seemed to have no real siting order and the site warden was rarely in attendance. The toilet and shower block was filthy, there are no urinals in the men's toilets which with so many on the site caused the foreseeable problems. We asked the cleaners why they were so dirty and they told us they had not been deep cleaned at the start of the season. The swimming pool, sauna, steam room etc are all well constructed with a nice patio over looking the lake. All the facilities were dirty with the same matted hair in the sauna shower for 3 days running. The pool was very murky and the opening times are limited to 5 hours a day so there are no excuses for the state of it particularly as we were there mid week. I went to the guest services desk to explain what I thought about the state of the place, concern was shown but it didn't seem to turn into action. The entertainment when we were there consisted of a star wars film and an Irish themed evening not for us. The drinks prices are reasonable but as with all such bars choose your beers carefully as the residence time in barrels and pipes can be lengthy.

We wouldn't return and with so many parks to choose from wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: Only stay in a unit with fixed sanitation
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stevesid

I am sorry to read that we did not seem to please you on this occasion Steve. I am also unsure as to why you were told our facilities were not deep cleaned at the start of the season as this simply is not so although I know they have taken a bit of a beating by the middle of the season. Their cleanliness does depend on the users who have gone in before you however the 2 tenting & touring reviews above yours both seem to tell a different story even though they both stayed at the park at the same time as you. As you know, entertainment is a bit of a personal thing and it is difficult to provide for everyone's tastes however our offerings are normally well received.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I would just like to say that I can not believe the negative reviews about this park.

I rent private log cabins direct from the cabin owners, but can not fault the park, I have been during busy bank holidays & autumn time & can honestly say I can not fault the place.

My first visit was in a November. The club house was only open at the weekend & the pool was only just being built. The shop had a limited amount of products ( just essential items) if you choose to go this time of year it's out of season & you should expect limited availability.
There are some lovely walks around the park plenty of wildlife very relaxing.

On other visits we have been in peak season & bank holidays yes it was busy, but the park is big enough to find somewhere out of the way to get peace & quiet.
The staff in the customer relations are very polite & helpful, the bar staff are a good laugh very pleasant. The pool & spa staff are great, always friendly & chatty
The only disappointment for us was the cafe we have only used it once, we decided to go in for breakfast several thing where not available as they had been busy & run out ok fair enough so we ordered something else. The service was very slow by the time we got our food it was cold very disappointing may be we went when they where having a bad day, I will give them the benefit of the doubt & try again on my next visit which I plan to take soon.

On the whole this park is great, clean, well looked after, the staff all work very hard, friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank wurzelsmobiles
Greg L, Guest Relations Manager at Tattershall Lakes Country Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and once again our teams on park have been singled out for special praise. I'm sure that your breakfast experience was a one off however I will mention it to the Head of Catering so that he is aware of your comments

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tattershall
4 mi away
Best Western Plus Kenwick Park Hotel
Crown Lodge & Restaurant
Crown Lodge & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Chapel Hill

Been to Tattershall Lakes Country Park? Share your experiences!