“Wing Hall Camping”
Review of Wing Hall Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wing
Wing Hall Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Wing
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I would like to take the time to thank everyone at Wing Hall for an amazing weekend. This is the 4th/5th time that i have visited Wing Hall and each time we come to stay we have a fantatsic time. The site is brilliant, from the lovely cafe/restaurtant serving home made cakes amoungst lots of other tasy things to the farm shop for all essentials should you need them, both of which are situated at the main house which is stunning itself

The camp site is perfect with lots of space and amazing views. And the toilets not to far, which is always a plus.

It is a great place to bring children as there is acres of space for them to run around in, wooded areas for them to hide in and tress to climb. Our kids have a great fun when they come to Wing Hall,

The best thing about Wing Hall is the people who run it. It is a family run business and certainly has that family feel to it. On each visit i have been welcomed back with a smile and have always found them to be very helpful and very friendly.

I look forward to my next summers visit.

Sara and Barry and the kids

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent one night in the camper van field over the weekend and thought the site itself was lovely. I was a little concerned to find a group of 20 teenagers sharing our field but they were quiet by 9.30pm so were not an issue.

I found the site to be lovely and quiet overnight and we loved seeing the chickens mooching about the grounds.

Our electricity token did not work and by the time we found out, the shop was closed so had no hook up overnight. I can't say I think this system is particularly useful and would prefer just to pay for the hookup as part of the price (it cost us another £5.00 to have a hookup pitch in the first place before the token). I presume this is in place to stop people abusing the system but most other camp sites seem able to operate differently.

I went for a shower early on the Sunday morning and could only find the 50p shower, which was running very hot/very cold and could not find anywhere dry to stand whilst dressing. My boyfriend investigated further and there was a block of free showers around the corner which was frustrating but my own fault really! In general I thought the facilities were a little on the dirty side but perfectly adequate.

We had Sunday lunch in the on-site bistro which was very tasty and £35.00 per couple for a roast beef dinner, a drink each, slice of cake and a coffee. I think this is a very reasonable price.

I think we will return to the site as it is in a fantastic location but now we know how the electrics work, where the best pitches are and where the free showers are will probably have a slightly better experience!

All in all recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We heard of Wing Hall through fiends who had stayed previously and it sounded just what we were looking for.
When we arrived we were not disappointed, GREAT pitch with amazing views, nice toilet block and hot showers.
The cafe was a delight! Fab food and delicious homemade cakes. The farm shop had fine wine, fresh baked bread, newly laid eggs collected by my 4 yr old that morning, and even the sunday papers!
We were blessed with hot sunny weather and our daughter loved running through the woods and building dens with other children she had met on site. My husband and I were able to put our feet up and enjoy the outdoor life.
A great spot only an hour and a half from London, we loved it.
Thank you to the lovely friendly staff for a lovely weekend, we will be back soon.
White Family. London

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

2nd time here this year....just lovely once again.....6 tents pitched in total all in one corner which was arranged before we arrived so were all together. We also spent the days and night eating in the on site restaurant - The Veranda - this is like a cafe by day and restaurant by night. The service is excellent, and the staff are lovely. The breakfasts were very tasty, I had the scrambled egg with brown toast. Do not leave without sampling the home made desserts and main course dinners. Lots of choice, you should book a table in the evening though it's really popular. They also have a good selection of wines. The on site market store has everything you need too....just a great place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Awful.
Booked into self-catering for two nights over the weekend.Walked into the "cottage" then back out again.Bad smell as you walked in straight away and general filthy condition of all rooms especially the kitchen.Absolutely terrible place.
The outside eating is the shared car-park with no views of any countryside.
Told staff that we would not be staying who were very rude and refused to return the deposit.
On my return home have attempted to get my deposit back but again staff very rude and putting phone down and no reply to messages left to owner.
Presently obtaining legal advice.
Do not go there.

Room Tip: Check reviews and check quality of accomodation before settling bill.
1  Thank 527peteb
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Visited the Wing Hall site twice in recent months. In general we don't look for sites with fancy amenities, its more about location and cost. Location for Rutland water is excellent, 10 minute drive from the car park on the south shore of reservoir. Both times we've stayed in what I'm assuming is the tent field (to the left of the main driveway), we don't have a large tent so pitch size is has always been fine. On our first visit we took a shower about 8:30-9:00 on a Sunday morning and water was cold, I guess we should have been awake earlier, luckily weather was warm so not a big problem. Found showers to be clean enough, certainly showered in worse in other camp-sites in UK. Impressed with the selection/variety of food on offer in the farm shop but found prices to be typical of farm-shops which is fair enough, wasn't expecting it to be any different.

On our second visit site was a lot less busy with it now being out of school holiday season. This time was up earlier on Sunday, about 8:00 and had a lovely warm shower. I believe by the time I had dried off the hot water was gone as I spoke to a gentleman who was in the shower room and he questioned whether my shower was warm as the other two he'd tried were cold. For the warm water to run on on a site which was pretty quiet by 8:15 is poor.

Hadn't bought anything for breakfast so thought we'd get a bacon/egg sandwich to tied us over till lunch. Already spotted price in cafe were steep but thought it if was anything like the products on offer in farm shop quality should be pretty decent. Believe we paid about £3.60 for the sandwich (egg was an extra £0.85). Wait wasn't long but when it came out massively disappointed. Considering the price I was expecting a lot more. Sandwich was served on standard thin cut sliced supermarket brown bread (no choice of white or brown when ordering), I was envisaging a nice 'door stop' cut white bread. Bacon.... well here the deal-breaker for me, I was astounded to find when I inspected contents only one piece! I didn't think it was possible to make a bacon sandwich with one piece of bacon, after seeing Wing Hall's efforts I still don't! Egg was cooked fine (least they got something right). For the price of the sandwich I was expecting A LOT more than what was offered.

Apart from the cafe's offerings we'll no doubt be back to Wing Hall just because of the convenience, but next time we've learnt to remember to pack something for breakfast so we don't have to contemplate visiting the cafe again.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just returned for a weekend camping- loved Wing Hall

In a nutshell- yes some of the pitches are small, and sloping, but the animals ( chickens, pigs, geese, and the norwegian forest cat that acts as security!! ) are great and seem happy.

We pitched up on pitch no 74 in the bottom field with great views.

Parked the car on adjoining pitch 74A without a problem.

Wanted to keep the tent pitched after the official 12 noon departure- not a problem.

Wanted to hire bikes from 1pm to 1pm the following day- no problem- charged 1 days hire only.

In short, nothing was a problem, food nice but not cheap, new toilet block nice, showers perfectly acceptable, great ambience, friendly staff, great location.

The bikes we hired could have done with a service, but they were cheap ( £15 per day) and the lady in the shop, when i advised the gearchanging needed attention, said she would get the bikes looked at.

Highly recommended- great value/ambience/facilities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wing Hall Estate? Share your experiences!