“A Bit Of A Moan ...”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Wing
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Culinary Heartbeat of Rural Rutland.The Kings Arms is a 17th Century Inn situated in the peaceful & secluded conservation village of Wing. Surrounded by beautiful buildings of local stone and Colly Weston slate this quintessential English Inn nestles amidst rolling green hills and picture postcard villages. Within easy reach of Peterborough, Stamford, Melton Mowbray, Uppingham and Oakham and only 2 miles from Rutland Water.A laid back, relaxed ambiance is complemented by award winning cuisine created by our team of chefs dedicated to providing the finest food in the area. Villagers and visitors will be found side by side at the Kings Arms creating that wonderful British country pub ambience. Our friendly and motivated staff serves traditional, artisanal and innovative pub fare on rustic wooden kitchen tables, surrounded by beamed ceilings, flagstone floors & open fires. All this alongside a large selection of fine wines, local ales, ciders and traditional soft drinks and you have an experience worth coming out for.The Kings Arms Wing also offers a total of 8 Bedrooms and Suites rated 4 Star by the AA since 2004. 4 rooms in the adjacent ‘ Old Village Bakehouse’ and 4 more in ‘Orchard House’ further up the long private drive. All of our spacious bedrooms are ensuite, with large flatscreen televisions and wi’fi is available throughout.At the top of the long private drive surrounded by a small young Orchard, fruit cages and our laying hens, we have a large off-road car park which can also accommodate small boat trailers, horseboxes and even motorhomes.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is not a review of the B&B facilities, which we didn't use, or about the restaurant which we also didn't use hence the 'three out of five' rating. We visited on the Sunday night of the recent Bank Holiday. The pub itself is clean and nicely done out with some leather chairs in an area close to the bar which makes a nice change. The atmosphere was pleasant enough.

First grumble is about the prices for drinks. We live about forty miles from Wing and in my local pubs I pay from £2.90 to £3.10 for a pint of Marston's Pedigree. I was therefore somewhat shocked to see £3.60 a pint scrawled on the prices chalkboard for the same (had they put their prices up for the Bank Holiday weekend perhaps?) however there is no alternative within walking distance so we placed our orders. Other, weaker, bitters were marginally cheaper but not much. My partner had a half pint of cider which was similarly expensive.

Second grumble is about the time they shut and the lack of notice. We arrived at 9.45 PM and bought our first (and as it turned out last) drinks. At 10.10 PM I went to the bar for another round. "Sorry, we shut at 10.00" was the reply. On a Sunday! In the UK in 2013!! "I didn't hear you ring the bell or shout 'Last orders' I replied. "Oh, we don't do that. It is written on the board outside". "Er, it's dark" I countered. All to no good.
So our advice is that if you choose to use The King's Arms take plenty of money and get your drinks in early!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having read some previous reviews, I was not quite sure what to expect. I have to say we were very impressed. It was a Thursday lunchtime and not so busy, which may make a difference. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was really first class and as we had chosen two dishes that could be cooked to our preference, we were delighted that they were exactly as we liked. The house wine was most acceptable. Do try the sourdough bread as a starter, delicious. The menu is very varied, covering all tastes, you will find something you like. I applaud them for working so hard to get local produce, including doing their own smoking. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit in the delightful surroundings and recommend it.

3  Thank Kate G
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went for our anniversary and had a lovely table the I cannot fault the service at all. My husband ordered the sausage and mash with a yorkshire pudding (his favourite) and I had the linguine with crayfish and samphire. My husband's meal was very good and so filling he didn't want dessert (unheard of), but my meal was a disappointment. There was far too much linguine and I have a healthy appetite, but there was literally mounds of it but very little in the way of crayfish and too much cheese, which overpowered the dish. The samphire had not been picked over properly (a must) and as a result I kept getting mouthfulls of spikes which was very uncomfortable and totally put me off the food. I probably ate a third of a plateful, picking around the samphire and trying to find the crayfish. When they came to clear the plates, I did ask the waiter to let the chef know that i was disappointed in how the samphire had been prepared, although I think the amount of food I had left would have made that self-evident. When the bill came, no allowance had been made for my dissatisfaction and whilst I wasn't expecting the course to be free, a gesture like a free glass of wine or coffee would have been gone a long way to cheer me up. I have been here in the past and had lovely meals (although we normally go with friends and normally one of them has a gripe about something), so I know they can get it right. It really is a beautiful village and a lovely pub and if they could just pay a little more attention to detail in the preparation of the food, it would be somewhere we would frequent a lot more often. I don't expect the chef even got to hear about my complaint, and that is something they should also address.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We ate here for lunch on the spur of the moment in winter. The pub is typically cosy and pretty like most in Rutland. We weren't expecting much, but the food delivered was amazing. I had fresh warm figs with pistachios, honey and a goats cheese parfait to start which was incredible. (I have tried to replicate it at home many times since). My partner had a chicken liver terrine which he said was lovely. My main was seared Brill and pea shoots on a crayfish risotto, which was faintingly gorgeous. He had pork, apple & mushroom pie on a bed of mash and green beans, which he raved about. It was one of those meals that you take a photo of and put on Facebook! (I hate people who do that normally, but this was my one exception). We haven't been back yet, but are planning to soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Really disappointing meal having considering the reviews! Decided to go for a drive out on a lovely evening with my Husband, we looked on Trip advisor for somewhere open on a Monday evening around Rutland water. Having read the reviews we chose here, wish we hadn't! I left home with great expectations of a lovely meal out, I had checked the website and saw it was the Classics menu and specials only but that didn't stop us. We arrived at 7.15pm they had been open 45 mins and there were only 3 couples looking at menu's and a couple of people having a drink so not busy. Ordered drinks at bar and asked about eating told there was a table by the picture, sat down to look at menus and looked over specials menu all looked really nice. whilst looking waiter took the order for the table across from us, the lady chose Stilton cheese and Button mushroom having heard this thought I also quite liked the sound of this so when the waiter came to take our order I was ready to order, Stilton Mushrooms and the Rutland Platter, the first thing we were told was no Mushrooms! It went down hill very quickly from here!! so back to the menu to to find something else so the waiter left us for a couple of minutes. I then chose the Pancetta and potato Soup same as my husband and asked the waiter if on the rutland platter if it was possible to have just plain Stilton instead of the Boozy Stilton he explained that they couldn't do this as the Stilton was crumbed to make the boozy Stilton and mixed with the port, I tried to explain again that all i wanted was just normal Stilton apparently they don't have this only Stilton crumb! As i was really looking forward to the platter again I was disappointed!I can't believe a Pub in the middle of Rutland with the best Stilton providers in the country on their doorstep didn't have any Stilton only Stilton crumbs!..... Made me wonder about the local supplier bit that they boast about everywhere on their website and in the pub! anyway again I thought rather than spoil what could be a lovely platter(one of the other tables had chosen it and it did look nice!) I would chose something else so chose the Local smoked Ham, egg and chips and husband chose the Shepherds pie and veg. Soup arrived I think the pancetta had been forgotten as couldn't taste it and certainly couldn't find any pieces in the soup, neither could my husband the only pieces we could see were Celery, it was nice Potato Soup though. When the waiter appeared and asked if everything was ok I explained that as yet I hadn't found or tasted any pancetta he said he would ask the chef and returned to say that the pancetta was ground up in the soup! we laughed and wondered if the Grind everything as the Stilton was crumbed which is a similar process! At this point we also heard the waiter explain to another potential diner the Potato soup had run out! Main course arrived this was also less than inspiring, 5 very large slices of ham layer on a plate with a mountain of chips, 2 eggs and a hand full of rocket plonked on the side undressed and no dressing offered! The eggs were lovely as was the ham but I ended up leaving over 1/2 a plate of food as just far to much I had ordered the normal size not the small but when asked no explanation had been given to the size difference (my mistake) Husband ordered shepherd pie which was very over tomatoed! said that was all he could taste. we didn't even wait for the waiter to clear the plates at the end we just paid and left as their seemed to be no one in charge to talk to just the 2 bar/ waiter staff and the chef! I realise Monday night is a quiet night but running out of stuff! especially when the shops had been open all day even if you hadn't we left very disappointed. As a chef myself I can usually see through the pitfalls of places but this was just poor and I don't like writing bad reviews prefer to try and sort out at the time, no one wants them! but on this occasion feel it's necessary.

1  Thank EmJW