“4/5* Food - 2* Service”

Gino's Pear Tree Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Gino’s Pear Tree Woodhouse Eaves. Beautifully situated within the heart of the national forest this old 18th century inn has been lovingly restored into a chic Italian restaurant by the brothers 'Albiniano'. Please enjoy exploring our page and discover a little more about us. Riccardo, Gianni & Marco.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We came here two years ago for Valentines Day a meal and were stunned by the food and ambiance of the restaurant. On returning this year we were pleasantly surprised by the refurb which was quite nice. On arrival we were asked to take a seat whilst the waiter got us our Bellini's, we were in ear shot of the bar and all I could hear was the waiter apologising to a customer and going on about tripadvisor and what upset him - the waiter!!

Over 5- 10 mins later without our drinks, a waitress came to seat us to our table, she took us down in to the restaurant which was unbelievably crammed and what looked like the tables were only inches apart. I really didn't fancy sitting down there. She turned round to me and said, "oh I'm sorry your table isn't ready would you like to sit in the snug. to which I replied "yes that's fine". There were four tables in the snug, just the other side if the bar area. it looked like they had built on an addition area where pizza's were being made. it look very authentic. We sat down to which the table started to rock!!! Yey, a wobbly table!!, (a real bug bear of mine) the waitress did manage to fix . It was really hot as well , the radiator was on full blast behind us, the fire was roaring and the heat from the pizza oven.

When our starter came out, the waitress couldn't put the plate down because the glasses and candle were in the way and said " where would you like me to put this? So we cleared the glasses and shoved them to the side of the table. The only complaint I would have about the food would have been the starter and that the prawns were so overcooked they were like rubber. Other than that the main dish and the pudding were absolutely delicious!!!

The other thing I noticed was that there was a speaker in the snug and we could hear the music from that and music coming from the other end of the restaurant which was annoying. It was supposed to be a romantic evening but hardly that at all. When we had settled the bill and decided to leave, nobody acknowledged that we were leaving, no thank you, good bye or anything. So all in all a disappointing experience on the service side of things. And to say that it cost £45 per head we left feeling a little deflated. I'm so pleased we didn't sit down in the main restaurant as it felt it was just getting bums on seats so to speak.

I will be honest and say that I may try the pizza take out service, as we had a taster of one and was lovely. But unless they pick up on their points of service won't be eating there again. What's good food about if the service needs attention???? That's why I have only rated it 3 on the overall rating.

There are newer reviews for Gino's Pear Tree Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I went to Gino's last night for the first time, very impressed with the food! The service was brilliant and we felt very welcome! Can't wait to go back and bring my friends.

1  Thank Claire890
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Ginos delivers beautiful food in a warm friendly atmosphere everytime! I have been visiting Ginos for many years now and have always been made to feel genuinely welcome and nothing has been too much trouble. The food is exactly what is expected of authentic Italian cuisine and the varied menu allows you to choose from fresh lighter options or more substantial flavour infused dishes. The interiors have been carefully upgraded to compliment the age of the property whilst incorportating a more relevant comtemporary feel which is perfect! The staff are always nothing but warm and friendly and over the years I have never had a bad experience with any of them.. If you are looking for a quiet relaxed evening or a atmospheric venue for a larger event then Ginos definitely delivers both!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Outstanding food for all four of us, but let down by very poor service, exacerbated by the head waiter having just been fired for pilfering, leaving the restaurant short-staffed. On introducing ourselves upon arrival, one of two Hopeless Waitresses walked away and left us by the bar. When seated we eventually had to ask for a menu as no-one had offered us one, the same Hopeless Waitress looking puzzled by the simple request. About an hour after we arrived we were given a complementary starter as our order wasn't forthcoming. We watched bemused as both Hopeless Waitresses obviously didn't know what they were doing, repeatedly delivering food to the wrong tables. Inevitably, one of our party was served the wrong meal, not once but twice. Two of us had to drink our lager from glasses intended for water, then when I asked for fresh glasses for water a Hopeless Waitress brought us lager glasses. At the end of the evening, the bill had to be challenged as we were charged for both of the dishes we didn't order. The bill was discounted, to be fair, and the owners were very apologetic. We would like to give the restaurant a second chance as the food was fabulous, the lasagne being the best I have ever tasted. However, training for the waiters/waitresses will surely have to be improved - their incompetence irritated other diners as well as us, but with hindsight offered some comedic relief.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Great choice on the menu. Prices competitive to other local restaurants. Customer service great. Would definitely return