“Lunch in the bar”

Ranked #1 of 1 Knipton B&B and Inns
bury st edmunds
“Lunch in the bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Fed up with Turkey & Ham so 4 of us went to Manners Arms on a whim 13:00 on Sat 29th. Called first to check availability. We ordered Fish n' Chips..... nothing beats it when you really fancy it. Food came in about 15 mins, beautifully cooked, large piece of fish, PROPER home made chips, good mushy peas and a flavoursome tartare sauce. Log fire blazing throughout, nice decorations, attentive & friendly staff. Nice range of real ales as well. Must remember to go again when we're back in Grantham.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank adrian l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed a Saturday night as a family group and all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We arrived just after lunch - the welcoming log fire and comfy seating tempted us to stay in the bar for the afternoon. The freshly made sandwiches were lovely and the range of beers went down well with the men in the group. All the rooms were individual in style with plenty of space and wonderful views. Dinner on the night was relaxed, the food was excellent and staff attentive.
Breakfast was served in the beautiful conservatory and there was plenty of choice for all tastes.
Overall this is a lovely country house hotel serving excellent food and drink with friendly staff, a refreshing change from chain hotels.
We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank family22-28
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Arrived with my partner last Saturday night... we'd bought a 'package' - 3 course restaurant meal, double room and breakfast.
Booking in was friendly and we were pleased that they still had a table available as we were a half hour late. There is a waiting area for the restaurant in the bar area that was very welcoming and cosy... we had a relaxing drink and I chose a steak/dauphinoise potatoes/red cabbage dish from the main menu and the helpful waitress checked that it was this I wanted rather than the steak and chips from the grill menu. Very attentive and polite restaurant staff. Starters were delicious - I loved the mushrooms/Stilton cheese dish. When the meals arrived... I had the steak and chips!!!! I decided not to make a fuss as time was limited, but it wasn't the best steak and my girlfriend's Salmon was fairly average too! Apple/Pear/Cinnamon pie was nice as was the cheese selection.
We returned to our room in the early hours and in the morning noticed that there was only one bath towel (and one robe and one pair of slippers too). The breakfast was good too... full English and a smoked salmon/scrambled egg/toast dish was very tasty... although the waitress was a little po-faced.
The setting for the Manners Arms is wonderful, the atmosphere great, polite friendly staff, a good clean room but there would have been niggles if I were bothered... it is quite expensive but it would have felt great value if the main meal was good. It could have been fabulous!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BikeAlarmMan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I visited the Manners Arms for a meal with my family and straight away I knew this venue was where I would want to hold my wedding reception. Once I got engaged I met with the wedding co-ordinator and nothing was ever a problem and their priotity was organising to how we wanted it. I was completely put at ease. The evening before the wedding I stayed over at the Manners arms, I felt so calm as everything was so under control, the hotel manager always made sure I was looked after. I wanted a country style wedding in a understated beautiful, intimate venue and that is exactly what I had. With around 100 guests it still felt personal but no way over crowded. The food was amazing and everyone to this day still comments on how beautiful the food was. I cannot recommend this venue enough for weddings, parties, family meals, weekend getaways or even just afternoon tea.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gemandkev
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Arrived on Saturday night just for a meal sat down after getting the menu from the barman who advised me a waitress would be with me shortly 25 mins later no one had taken our order and there was only 2 other tables to look after the barman to his credit advised the girls again and after 35 mins they eventually took our order if it wasn't for the courtesy and good manners shown us by the barman we would have walked out in disgust he also provided me with another drink as an apology and explained it was not normal and sang the restaurants praises evening telling me to check it out on trip advisor lol the food was superb just a damn shame the waitress let it down

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Stockyman
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed here on 29th July, to celebrate a friends birthday, it's in a beautiful location, we had a very nice room and a great meal, sunday night is STEAK NIGHT, very good. I foolishly left a pair of shoes in our room, I called them, they had found them and posted them back to me. Great service, would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jane b
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Not knowing what to expect - my family attended the wedding here of our niece. As we drove nearer to Knipton we felt like we'd stepped back in time through small villages and lovely countryside. When we arrived it was obvious this wedding was being taken v seriously by its owners but it had a 'family' feel.
Our room was small, clean and had a 'quirky' feel one which you would expect from an old hunting lodge such as this but nonetheless nice touches of good quality toiletries, slippers etc were available.
The wedding, a marquis, in the grounds turned out to be one of the best I've attended. The food was v well presented, simple not over the top but the best roast beef we've ever had at a large function, the desserts were also to die for - a choice of 3 all as one portion!!! Yum!!
From my experience I would not hesitate recommending this as a wedding venue or a weekend retreat - the hospitality of its owners & professional organisation of Sharon & her family certainly makes this worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knipton
Stoke Rochford Hall
#1 of 1 in Stapleford
Langar Hall
Langar Hall
#1 of 1 in Langar

Been to The Manners Arms? Share your experiences!