“Not Great Value”

and up
Pulau Ubin Mangrove Kayak Adventure from Singapore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Adventures by Asian Detours brings you the best of Pulau Ubin escapades! From the tranquil mangroves to the rugged trails, experience Singapore off the beaten track. Pulau Ubin is now the only place where you can see and experience village living reminiscent of Singapore in the 1960s. The beauty of the island lies in its mangroves forests, natural rustic environment and abundant wildlife. Our adventures brings you in close proximity of the island wildlife and flora. Whether on a leisurely kayaking journey or the adrenaline-pumping expedition and cycling trail, let us bring you on an exploratory journey of this beautiful island.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I signed up for Mangrove Kayaking on Saturday, March 1, 2013. Overall, the experience was just ok. I can say that our main guide, Sebastian, was good. He seemed passionate and knowledgeable. The other guide, Atika, was not as professional. She didn't speak clearly and many of the people on the trip couldn't understand her.

Although the trip was supposed to take 4 hours, we were back in 3, which meant that we really only had 2 solid hours to kayak. (The briefing and loading of the kayaks took about an hour.) For S$60 per person, it didn't seem like this was great value.

I know that seeing animals and birds can be a bit of luck of the draw, so even though we didn't see many, I was fine with that. The most disappointing part of the trip by far was the garbage. There was a ton of litter everywhere in the mangrove. It was pretty gross. Sebastian said that the company had done a big clean up right before Christmas, but I would think that as nature lovers the guides would stop and scoop up at least some of the refuse on each trip instead of just paddling over the plastic bottles and shopping bags.

I was disappointed with this trip. If Singapore wants to develop more of an eco-tourism scene, they have a long way to go.

4  Thank corby80
"singapore"
in 15 reviews
"route"

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was pretty easy to get to "Changi Point Ferry Terminal" (do not forget to tell the taxi driver you want the "Point" terminal). Just took the metro to the end of the green line (Pasir Ris) and took a taxi the rest of the way (about $7 SGD). There are also two buses that go between Pasir Ris and Changi Point Ferry Terminal.

The experience itself is wonderful. It is well organized - with a place to lock up your stuff and shower - and very fun. The staff are amazing and knowledgeable... they help you learn to kayak (if you are a newbie) and love sharing what they know about the mangroves with you. It makes the overall experience unforgettable.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We signed up for the Eco Adventure bike ride on Pulau Ubin. It is run by www.ubinkayak.com
The guide met us at the ferry after we paid our $2.50 per person fare across from the Changi Point Ferry Terminal. We caught a taxi to the terminal, but you can take the MRT to Tanah Merah and take Bus 2 form Bus Stop A towards Changi Village. The terminal is near the village.
The ride was from 9.30am to 1.30pm, and we were taken all over the island, including to the Chek Jawa wetlands, full of birds and other wildlife. We saw a mother wild boar and her baby which was a highlight. The bike trail is mostly on the bitumen roads, but a number of off road tracks were fun for exploring, particularly the track around Ketam Quarry. The guide was so knowledgeable and we learnt so much about the island and Singapore life itself. I would say that this was one of the best days in Singapore that we had. If you want to get away from the shopping centres and experience the beauty of the natural surroundings, and you like riding, do this trip. It wasn't difficult. Beginners could easily do it. They tailored it to our needs. As part of the tour, we had local coconut juice on our refreshment stop. Finishing with great black pepper crab at the seafood restaurant on the island was fabulous!! I highly recommend the Ubinkayak company for this tour. We will do their kayak tour next.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

A great way to spend a morning. Pulao Ubin is an island 10 minutes by bumboat, from the Changi Point Ferry Terminal.

Getting there: Take MRT to Tanah Merah. Get out of the station, cross the highway and take bus number 2 from the opposite side, going towards Changi Village. The bus frequency is not that good especially early morning, so its better to take a cab. The taxi stand is just 5 feet before the bus stop. Cab drive from Tanah Merah to Changi ferry terminal costs $10. Its a good 20 minute drive. Catch a ferry to Pulao Ubin.
The guides meet you on the other side. The experience was totally worth it. Row across the busy waterway along the Pulao Ubin jetty, as ferrys zip pass by, and then enter the tranquil mangroves.

2  Thank ZubinM
See more reviews
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was excited to go for the trip away from the city life and shopping centres on my trip to Singapore. Pulau Ubin is known for nature but I did not know what to expect. So my trip there was welcomed by the pickup of the friendly guide who greeted us at the jetty. Happy that there was sometime to change up and be told what to bring on the kayak. Ohh and there is a place to store belongings too!

After some orientation of my equipment and practices, we were off to the waters in our excitement! Clear briefing and comfortable walk through of the stuffs we needed.
I was off paddling in the calm waters of Pulau Ubin coastlines and into the mangroves. Nice peaceful getaway.. Something I have not seen while kayaking before. We saw some birds and monitors and crabs and mudskippers of coz and many more.. Nice Views.. Endless exploration and I like the flexibility of the guides. Paddling yet relaxing!

After that we safely return and good to know there are shower facilities!

Thank You for the lovely experience.. Timing and pace was just nice..
TRY IT!
Ohh and if U are travelling, weekdays sessions will be great as U will have a more private time away from the weekend crowd..

4  Thank ZaneZee