“Margaret is the soul of this B&B”
Review of Englewood Lodge

and 1 more site!
Englewood Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Onchan B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My stay at Englewood Lodge was part of a summer trip with my parents to Ireland and the Isle of Man, to celebrate my father's recovery from quite a serious illness. In that context, I did a lot of research prior to the trip and I tried to choose the best hotel to stay in each place we were visiting, as I wanted to offer them a memorable trip. However, when looking for hotels in the Isle of Man, I couldn't find any 5 or 4 star property that make me feel enthousiastic about. Then, I read the excellent Englewood Lodge reviews and booked it, and now I'm glad I did it!

Location is great if you rent a car, as it is next to the island's capital, Douglas (3 min. drive), but in a much calmer place, with wonderful views of the sea and the bay. The house is big, warm and comfortable and, due to the size of Man and its location (and much better roads than in Ireland!), it is very easy to go anywhere.

However, what makes the real difference is Margaret McEwan, the owner. Margaret is an enthousiastic, hard-worker and determined woman that cares for every little detail to make their guests stay be perfect. It is really amazing the level of dedication and the amount of activity she deploys: making breakfasts, cleaning (the house is inmaculately clean), arranging things, giving you indications and chatting with you... and always with a smile in her face, even when she gets really tired.

The island pleasantly surprised us, despite of the bad weather we had. I mainly knew it because of the yearly TT races, but there is more appart from this. First, for railway fans like me, there are many ancient networks that work throughout the place (the Steam railway from Douglas to the South -especially advisable-, the Electric Railway, the Snaefell Mountain Railway, etc.). Appart from the capital, there are other very charming towns to visit, including Castletown, Ramsey and, especially, Peel. Douglas has a beautiful waterfront and commercial street with some good shopping, also.

To sum up, we had a great time in the Isle of Man and our stay at Englewood Lodge definitely contributed to it. Congratulations, Margaret!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FBV
There are newer reviews for Englewood Lodge

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We arrived at Englewood being fairly new to the B&B experience, but having stayed here we wouldn't hesitate to stay again. On arrival we were shown all the facilities and taken to a superb room with stunning views of the Irish sea. The room was extremely spacious, decorated to a very high standard with an equally enjoyable bathroom to match. The bed was very comfortable too. Breakfasts were superb and kept us going until Dinner time. Margaret was a wonderful host, keeping the accomodation in an excellent condition (clean and tidy) at all times of the day. Margaret is more than happy to accomodate any requests you may have for anything you may need (providing it's possible of course). We also enjoyed the communal lounge with the bonus of a pool table. We had a wonderful stay at Englewood, and would happily travel back to the IOM just to stay there. Thank you Margaret for a superb stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a sea view if it's available
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I can not praise this lodge more.I booked it last minute and was so glad I found it, as I had a wonderful stay. The owner Margaret was so welcoming (and obviously works hard) and her little touches make her bed and breakfast just perfect. I was in a spacious (even as a single guest) , immaculately clean and homely room with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in away from home. The views from the front of the lodge , including my bedroom were outstanding. I have no faults at all. A truely charmimg place to stay. When I return to the IOM , I will definately be making a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank loobylou21
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Hi Margaret.
Just to say we are remembering the outstanding stay with you in your warm and scenic home upon the hillside overlooking the harbour. Congratulations. Appreciate the amount of effort to give a caring and attentive stay for your visitors and the opportunity to experience the overall charm of your abode. Muchly remembered.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Can't think of as better way to describe this "B&B plus" or "hotel minus". Other reviewers have used up most of the superlatives available (except "superlative" - aha!).
We arrived slightly early and caught Margaret in the middle of turning over the rooms, but that didn't faze her at all. She showed us our room, where we left our bags, and gave us our keys, then we went off to explore for a bit armed with some tips from our host. We had hired a car from the airport, but the electric tram stops right outside the door. This runs as far as Ramsey in the north, and connects to bus, tram and rail services to the south and west through Douglas itself. Check the timetables as service times vary from day to day and month to month. We found the walk into Douglas to be quite enjoyable, taking about 20 minutes to reach the promenade.
When we returned in the evening we discovered the lounge complete with coffee machine (bean to cup, none of your sachet rubbish!) and pool table. The conservatory was similarly well equipped with binoculars for watching the comings and goings of the boats in the bay.
We had the room without the sea view, but that was not a problem. Large room, with large en-suite including toilet and shower. Once again Margaret's attention to detail and being the best was visible with the provision of towel dressing gowns, slippers, and bottled water on the dressing table. The TV was fully functional too, unlike many hotels in the British Isles!
Breakfast was excellent, It's not easy cooking breakfast as well as serving tables, but Margaret doesn't leave anything to chance. The quality of the cooked breakfast was excellent - everything freshly cooked to order, no hotplates. The "continental" part was good too with a range of cereals as well as yoghurts and fresh and dried fruits. Fellow guests had dietary requirements which were met without a blip. Nothing was a problem.

Hopefully Margaret will receive her new dining tables before long, which will give more flexibility in the dining room. Apart from that the only other issue we had was that the internet connection was a bit flaky, but that may have been related to telecoms problems the whole island was experiencing at the time.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cameronag
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Margaret could not have been a better host, we were made to feel very welcome from the moment we got there, nothing was too much trouble and she accomoidated our brood wonderfully. Rooms were the highest standard the best we have stayed in in the Isle of Man, stayed at hilton and mount murray in the past standard here 1000% better. would recommend a stay at Englewood Lodge for anyone considering a trip to the Isle of Man be it business or pleasure.

Room Tip: large family room accomodated two adults two children easily, large walk in wardrobe and huge bathro...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Margaret was an excellent host - could not have done more for us. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. Great location and we will be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onchan
Sefton Hotel
#12 of 15 in Douglas
Mannin Hotel
Mannin Hotel
#2 of 15 in Douglas

Been to Englewood Lodge? Share your experiences!