“Out of date and tired”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santon
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Out of date and tired”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed here on business trip. First impression was good as hotel located out in the sticks with nice views. However, breakfast was poor and very limited choice of food. The Celine Dion Greatest Hits music didn't help! Staff try hard but can't mask how de-motivated they look. The hotel inside and out is tired and outdated. Bathrooms are dirty, shower heads too low down and water sprays everywhere. Apparently it was built in the 1990's but I suspect it hasn't been touched since. Gym and pool pretty good though. If location, gym, pool and golf are your priority then this is for you otherwise go elsewhere if you want somewhere special and want value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rich J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the Mount Murray in February. Chose a king bed room as we like the extra space. Good size nicely decorated, not the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in but OK (quite hard).
Good amenities in the room including coffee making facilities, hair dryer, trouser press etc. We did not stay Saturday night deliberately to miss the noise of wedding guests. Free internet access included in the price of room.
Situated in a nice location, had a pond view could hear the ducks quacking nearly all of the time. If you play golf ideal as it has it's own golf course.
My complaint about the room is the grouting between the tiles on the floor was very dirty & needed replacing, bathroom showed some signes of ware but OK.
The breakfast was adequate. Not a great variety but everything fresh and the Full English (they call it 'Manx') breakfast was cooked to order not buffet style, which we prefer.
Good size room in a quite location is why I say possibly the best hotel on Isle of Man, not one of these noisey seaside front hotels with small rooms.
I can't imagine we would go the IOM again as we saw everything in 3 days but if we did we would stay at the Mount Murray again.

Room Tip: King bed room have views & larger than the standard rooms if you prefer more space.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I chose to stay at Mount Murray for the first night of a two day business trip. The location of the hotel was very good - only a short 10 minute drive to Douglas. My accommodation was satisfactory - a good sized double room, clean and fairly well equipped. I was in a separate building from the main building (to the opposite side of the entrance to the main hotel and reception) and the accommodation here was not as modern or prestine as I was expecting. However, it was none the less very satisfactory and quiet. The weather was poor (February) and so I didn't have opportunity to explore the grounds. I used the swimming pool and hydrotherapy bath, which were good. I ate in the bar area and had a reasonable meal at a reasonable price although there was a quite a delay in waiting for my food. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful; I accidently left my gym wear behind and they were very helpful in finding it for me in "lost property", offered to wash and dry it and return it to me by post. I was very happy indeed with the way they handled this. I would certainly recommend Mount Murray as a very good value hotel, very clean and well presented with very good facilities including the pool area and gym, and excellent customer service. The location is also very good, just a short drive to Douglas on the road from the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We spent New Years Eve night at the hotel. Very nice meal, entertainment spot on. Very comfortable room. Good choices at breakfast. Definitely the best hotel I have stayed at on the Isle of Man.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We originally planned to stay at the Mount Murray for 4 nights, but ended up doing 6 nights as the Ferry was cancelled due to the terrible weather.

Not a bad hotel to get stuck in really.

Excellent facilities, great food, reasonable enough pricing for a hotel of this kind.

Swimming pool, Gym excellent, the only negative about this place I can find is that Kids under 12 arn't allowed in the pool in the week days, which broke my 4 year old girld heart. Despite me even asking for a special privelage, as the hotel was so quiet, we were told, no can do.
Which was a real shame.

Aside from this, we had a lovely time, the rooms (we ended up having two due to our extended stay) were really good, the cleaners were excellent, everything you need is there, and more.

The Power shower is to die for!

Staff are excellent, very helpful, and caring.

Many thanks, see you soon

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a king room, the beds are HUGE!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rougie1975
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Used this hotel for Sunday Lunch for the first time recently and the service was very attentive. As a local, I have always found it good for evening events and functions, which together with its Gym and Golf facilities, really makes this hotel a very good all-rounder.

Room Tip: Tip: If visiting from off island it is best to hire a car, as it is not within easy walking distance...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Arrived for a wedding , the reception could not find my partners name against a room number.
she had checked in the day before, i had no choice but to use my mobile, to find out which room was ours.
Once getting the room number, i went back to reception to check again with the correct number, she then gave me confirmation of the name. it appeared she had difficulty with reading the information. very surprised! as that was at the hotel reception!
the wedding reception food was very good but they refused to let me have cheese instead of a desert,not even trying to be helpful about my request. just no!
Not giving me the option to pay for it either at the table or on my room number, i confirmed with the waitress if she had informed the duty manager of my request, he also choose to ignore the request. he got eye contact with me, but was just too busy!
sleepless night near a link bridge.so if you stay on a weekend it maybe noisy if your room is situated near the bridge.
breakfast / very good with lots of cheese ho ho ho!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank morgan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santon
Sefton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ramsey
The Hydro Hotel
The Hydro Hotel
#13 of 17 in Douglas

Been to Mount Murray Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!