“Unsurpassed views !”

Le Carre de l'Ange
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

You are unlikely to dine with better views than this anywhere in France.....absolutely stunning ! And the food isn't bad either.....some unusual and delicious combinations, and excellent little "freebies" served by attentive, but not overbearing staff.....and all very good value for money for the high quality of food. Highly recommended, and worth a detour if you are anywhere nearby

Reviewed August 6, 2013

A visit with friends celebrating a birthday milestone. Relaxed and informal in style; busy without feeling pressured, and food and wine of the highest quality. From apero through amuse bouche to coffee, service was excellent. I don't usually mention particular dishes in reviews, as they are so personal, but I had steak tartare, which was certainly the best tartare, and probably the best starter I have ever had. A wonderful lunch which did full justice to the occasion.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Four of us happened on Le Carre de l'Ange for summer lunch on the terrace -- but the experience would be worth a trip up the hill to the old bishop's palace. The view over the hills was magnificent, the service was precise and timely, the food was outstanding, and the value was considerable.
Set menues ranged from 19 to 86 euros -- we were amply fed on the choices for 29 and 39 apiece. A bottle of Irrouleguy Arretxea rose for 26 euros went well with all our choices.
We were offered two separate pre-lunch starters -- small dishes of creme brulee along with glasses of gaspacho, and small toasts along with mussels in their shells with a spicy cream sauce.
Our two wives started with vegetarian first courses -- risotto with mushrooms -- and shifted to fillets of trout; my colleague started with a platter of foie gras followed by the regional pork. I was delighted with a first course of marinated scallops with a small side bowl of fresh pea soup topped with a beet puree, followed by a crisply roasted St Pierre. All were outstanding.
Three chose the chocolate dessert -- I went with the raspberry napoleon -- again, all excellent.
We had the two benefits of a gorgeous summer afternoon and a very light crowd, so the ambiance and the service timing were both all we could have asked for.
We don't know the Haute-Garrone well, but as scattered as the area is, our experience would justify a return.

1  Thank Jim P
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely dinner on a summer evening sitting on the terrace overlooking beautiful St Lizier and the Pyrenees. The food was innovative and delicious and the waiting staff were attentive and helpful. This is a high quality restaurant serving interesting food and wine and highly recommended for a special occasion.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I found this restaurant thanks to the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, and we went there because they also have a vegetarian menu (my girlfriend is vegetarian). What a treat!
The first thing that strikes you is the view over the Pyrenees from the terrace is stunning. Service was formal, friendly and flawless. At first, we were a bit worried we weren't wearing our best clothes, but during the evening we saw more people in tourist outfits and it was never frowned upon. This is not a pretentious place, but it makes you feel special as a guest.
The prices are very fair for what they offer. Even one of the more budget-friendly bottles of wine (at 16€) was excellent quality. I took the cheaper menu at 29€. Starter was a "farmer's egg" - I had no idea you could make a simple egg taste so good. Then Pigeon, nicely prepared, and chocolates for dessert. My girlfriend had the vegetarian menu. The main dish is a vegetarian wok, maybe not the most inventive dish but the quality of the products was top-notch.
A nice finishing touch was that the chef came out to ask every table if everything had been well and he took some time for some talk. I felt he was really passionate.

The high praise for this restaurant is merited. Friendly service and great food at a reasonable price. If you are within an hour's drive of Le Carré de l'Ange, go there. You won't be disappointed.