“Fantastic, friendly, family run hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dillwyn Arms Hotel

The Dillwyn Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pontardawe
The Dillwyn Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pontardawe
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, friendly, family run hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had our wedding reception at The Dillwyn Arms Hotel on the 8th December 2012 and the whole day went perfectly. Cath, the absolutely fabulous landlady, her husband Lee and all of the hotel staff were attentive, more than efficient and very friendly throughout all the stages of the wedding, from arranging the dining room for the reception and evening party to getting me, the bride, ready and dressed for the wedding itself. We had planned on a small wedding from the outset and due to the time of year it was proving to be a nightmare in finding not only a suitable venue for our wedding reception and party but actually finding a venue at all as Christmas parties were in full swing! I had originally visited the hotel to ask if accommodation was available for family and friends travelling from away and this was when I first met Cath. I briefly explained the situation and Cath said, ‘why don’t you have it here?’ She showed me the dining room, explained what could be done, how many could be accommodated and basically the rest is history. The menu and details were discussed and finalised long before the event and all of our needs and wishes were accommodated, nothing was too much trouble. Cath arranged the evening’s entertainment and also put us onto someone who decorated the tables and room perfectly for us. We were invited to the hotel in the week before our big day to go over all the details so the event would go as smoothly as we hoped. Cath was brilliant and by her own admission, much more nervous than I was!
Our friends and family from Lancashire and Cumbria were accommodated for the weekend and took over the first floor almost completely. All were more than happy and satisfied with their rooms and remarked that the breakfast was more than substantial and the rooms very clean and comfortable. They were offered cereals before the full cooked breakfast and the toast just kept on coming! Variations to the breakfasts were also accommodated when asked for, I can only stress that nothing was too much trouble.
I stayed at the hotel with my family the night before my wedding and although sharing a room with my sister, I was given the key to another room to hang up my dress and lay out my things. On the morning of my wedding my day started at approximately 6am with me feeling nervous and shaky. I was met by Cath on the on the stairs and invited into her own accommodation and treated to a reassuring and comforting talk along with copious amounts of tea.
On my return from the hairdressers there was champagne and strawberries for myself and my family and friends, a lovely gesture and totally unexpected. Staff had come in early and all were busy with making everything ready for my day, over and above their usual duties. Cath’s mum, Anne was fantastic. She was my calming influence and her words and company were invaluable. Dawn, one of the staff had agreed weeks beforehand to help me into my dress, a task which in itself was a mammoth task due to all the lacing up, bless her…. an hours full- on workout at the gym would have proved easier and less exhausting!! A cracking job she did though as the dress stayed on and in situ all day! As I walked down the stairs to leave, I was met with loud applause from Cath (who was crying I might add) and all of the staff and Lee taking photo’s.
Our wedding reception was made perfect, by the combination of food, which everyone remarked on, not only the quality but also the quantity, the service provided by the staff was excellent, the atmosphere was brilliant and Cath, Lee, Anne, Dawn and all of the staff joined in our celebrations, it was fantastic. My special day really was amazing and apart from marrying the best man in the world it was made so fantastic by Cath and everyone at the Dillwyn Arms.
My family and friends recommend this hotel and intend staying again. This is a true example of a friendly, clean, family run hotel. The food is excellent and nothing is too much trouble. If you need anything, you only need to ask and if it is possible, it will be accommodated.
Thanks to you all…..Cath, you’re the greatest! X
Angela Evans (Mrs)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Angela E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I searched for a little place to stay over the Christmas week, I came across this hotel, not too expensive as for the time of year but the people running it where so lovely.
I had the family room, plenty of room, clean towels, tea and coffee supplied and TV for both sleeping areas of the room.
The food and atmosphere was amazing, the locals are friendly and jolly, Lee and Cath where always on hand if we needed anything.
The days I was not visiting family was filled with free nibbles and mince pies, live music for entertainment and just such a lovely addition to the Christmas festivities.
If you want an nice comfy place to stay, friendly atmosphere and welcoming hosts, this is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Popped in for Sunday lunch. I used to visit with my family some years ago when the restaurant was under previous management. Very warm welcome and speedy, friendly service. Tasty food, very reasonably priced. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wirral
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My aunties stayed here over last weekend & I am adding this in their behalf. Rooms basic but comfortable. 1st morning breakfast was already plated on a hot plate - no choice given she even had to ask for a cup of tea.

Later that evening when arriving back at the hotel they had to let themselves in as everywhere was locked up. - I am sure that they were the only people on the premises that night. If there had been a fire not sure they would have got out safely.

2nd morning complete shambles. No-one available, it seems there was no one in the hotel no staff, no breakfast even though they had paid for it. They both left without even having a cup of tea. What a rubbish was to run a business.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was working away for a few weeks and was booked into this B&B by my company. Now I have stayed in some aweful places in the times I have stayed away, so I wasn't expecting much from this unknown hotel.
I parked in the car park which is attached to the hotel and were able to park with ease with our long wheel base transit, although this wasn't the case every time (due the the popularity of the hotel bar and restaurant) but still managed to find space. We were greeted with a warm smile by the landlady and shown to our rooms. As I said before I have stayed in some dives before so wasn't expecting much but when I opened my door to my room I was met with a light modern but cosy room, I was impressed. It smelt fresh and was very tidy, the bed looked very comfy( as it was ) and the wardrobe and desk were of a decent size. The en suite too was modern and was a good size with fresh towels and soaps and shampoos, I've not had that in some of the places I've stayed before. The tv was a wall mounted LCD with free view and was of good size. The icing on the cake for me was the FREE WIFI. Wasn't expecting that at all!
Now the restaurant with chef Carl was superb. The food was of generous portions and for the quality of it was very well priced, even the 2 for £10 meals were excellent. In the end I was challenging the chef to cook different meals which he rose and excelled to, cooking some totally from scratch others like the ribs cooking for 4 hours before I had finished work. The presentation of his food was top class too. I kept catching glimpses of him peeking round the corner to see if the happy punters were enjoying there meals , which they all were.
The bar maids lol if I'm allowed to call them that now were all great , very smily very helpful and great o have a bit of banter with even if sometime I didn't understand them.
They also had poker night which was great fun on the Wednesday. All at the table were welcoming and easy to talk too. Aswell as the Tuesday night quiz which I did terrible in ha.
The landlady Cath was always smiling and greeted you warmly unless you had been naughty which I hadn't ofc. She was easy to talk too and very keen to engage you. She did a totally unexpected thing when I was leaving on my last day she got up at 6.00 am to cook and make me a packed lunch which had sasuage sandwiches, I was gob smacked to say the least no1 had done that for me before. And when I delved my hand into the bag on the way home there was also crisps and can of coke. It was a brilliant effort on there behalf and one if I thought about really should expected , due to the great hospitality they had shown me during my 3 week stay. Thank you dillwyn hotel - Phil ( Saxtons)

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Thesmith79
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Visited here for a meal, food was good and very good value for money. £40 for 4 people, including some drinks, good specials available (2 for £10). Service a little slow and the staff kept opening the window right next to us and it was a bit chilly, had to ask for window to be closed despite us saying to first person that there was a draft.
If you want simple food, cooked well, and dine in a decent environment this place should fit the bill.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife and I together with our granddaughter stayed at the hotel in July 2012. I must say that the staff were wonderful but our room was basic with no headboard and there was no maid to make the beds. the plumbing was noisy when anyone in another room used the toilet or taps.The beds though were very comfortable. Times for breakfast were very flexable as we dont like to rise too early the full english breakfast was well cooked but one day we had two sausages and the other two days only one. There was no cerial on offer or orange juice as we are used to even in two star establishments.I thought £108 per night for the family room was quite expensive for a pub but I must say the the manageress discounted the price without me asking saving me £24 on the bill for the three nights

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontardawe
Premier Inn Swansea North Hotel
#12 of 24 in Swansea
No photo provided
Dynevor Arms
#2 of 5 in Pontardawe

Been to The Dillwyn Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!