“Exceeded expectations”

The Dillwyn Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pontardawe
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was working away for a few weeks and was booked into this B&B by my company. Now I have stayed in some aweful places in the times I have stayed away, so I wasn't expecting much from this unknown hotel.
I parked in the car park which is attached to the hotel and were able to park with ease with our long wheel base transit, although this wasn't the case every time (due the the popularity of the hotel bar and restaurant) but still managed to find space. We were greeted with a warm smile by the landlady and shown to our rooms. As I said before I have stayed in some dives before so wasn't expecting much but when I opened my door to my room I was met with a light modern but cosy room, I was impressed. It smelt fresh and was very tidy, the bed looked very comfy( as it was ) and the wardrobe and desk were of a decent size. The en suite too was modern and was a good size with fresh towels and soaps and shampoos, I've not had that in some of the places I've stayed before. The tv was a wall mounted LCD with free view and was of good size. The icing on the cake for me was the FREE WIFI. Wasn't expecting that at all!
Now the restaurant with chef Carl was superb. The food was of generous portions and for the quality of it was very well priced, even the 2 for £10 meals were excellent. In the end I was challenging the chef to cook different meals which he rose and excelled to, cooking some totally from scratch others like the ribs cooking for 4 hours before I had finished work. The presentation of his food was top class too. I kept catching glimpses of him peeking round the corner to see if the happy punters were enjoying there meals , which they all were.
The bar maids lol if I'm allowed to call them that now were all great , very smily very helpful and great o have a bit of banter with even if sometime I didn't understand them.
They also had poker night which was great fun on the Wednesday. All at the table were welcoming and easy to talk too. Aswell as the Tuesday night quiz which I did terrible in ha.
The landlady Cath was always smiling and greeted you warmly unless you had been naughty which I hadn't ofc. She was easy to talk too and very keen to engage you. She did a totally unexpected thing when I was leaving on my last day she got up at 6.00 am to cook and make me a packed lunch which had sasuage sandwiches, I was gob smacked to say the least no1 had done that for me before. And when I delved my hand into the bag on the way home there was also crisps and can of coke. It was a brilliant effort on there behalf and one if I thought about really should expected , due to the great hospitality they had shown me during my 3 week stay. Thank you dillwyn hotel - Phil ( Saxtons)

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Thesmith79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Visited here for a meal, food was good and very good value for money. £40 for 4 people, including some drinks, good specials available (2 for £10). Service a little slow and the staff kept opening the window right next to us and it was a bit chilly, had to ask for window to be closed despite us saying to first person that there was a draft.
If you want simple food, cooked well, and dine in a decent environment this place should fit the bill.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
brighton
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife and I together with our granddaughter stayed at the hotel in July 2012. I must say that the staff were wonderful but our room was basic with no headboard and there was no maid to make the beds. the plumbing was noisy when anyone in another room used the toilet or taps.The beds though were very comfortable. Times for breakfast were very flexable as we dont like to rise too early the full english breakfast was well cooked but one day we had two sausages and the other two days only one. There was no cerial on offer or orange juice as we are used to even in two star establishments.I thought £108 per night for the family room was quite expensive for a pub but I must say the the manageress discounted the price without me asking saving me £24 on the bill for the three nights

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Arad, Rmania
Reviewed May 19, 2012

All at the highest quality: accommodation, meals, bar. A place to come back with great pleasure.

Room Tip: Corner suites are sunny
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My Wife and myself booked a room here as we were attending a friends wedding in Llansamlet and reception in near by Plas Cilybebyll and wanted to save on taxi fares to and from home. From the first contact over the phone to check availability the staff were very warm and friendly. A quick pitstop to drop off our bags and collect a key on the Friday of the wedding and again a very warm welcome and couple of taxi numbers for the trip back later that evening, asked what time breakfast was and was told whenever you want it in the morning just give us a shout. We arrived back at the dillwyn arms at approx 1am to be asked if we wanted anything but as we had now been on the go since 9am just wanted a bit of sleep. The room was spotlessly clean with nice crisp linen on the bed. The bathroom allthough showing some signs of use was perfectly adequate for our needs. We went down for breakfast in the morning at 10 am and again a very friendly welcom from the chef and a much needed pot of tea and a fab cooked breakfast. all in all a very nice stay and would have no hesitation staying again if we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ammanford, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My girl friend and I booked a room at the The Dillwyn Arms Hotel as I did'nt want to drive home after a night out at the Pontardawe Arts Center,, we was made to feel very welcome, and I find that much more relaxing, there was no time limit on beakfast in the morning so we was able to have a good lay in and just give then a shout in the morning when we wanted beakie :) and breakie was lush :) there is a bar down stairs were the locals are very friendly, all in all I would give them 10 out of 10
Thanks for a great stay :) will deff use this hotel again when we go to the arts Center again

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bryan O
bootle
Reviewed November 6, 2011

food bland rooms basic the fact that there is not much competition in pontardawe means they can get away with it

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontardawe
Holiday Inn Express Swansea East
Travelodge Llanelli Cross Hands
The Dragon Hotel
The Dragon Hotel
#9 of 22 in Swansea

Been to The Dillwyn Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!