“An AMAZING rainforest experience!!!”

Almonds and Corals Hotel
Lake Bluff, Illinois
“An AMAZING rainforest experience!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was the PERFECT choice for my daughter's graduation trip!! Online it looks great and in person it is BETTER!! As a Wildlife Biology major, she was in heaven with her camera, as I was! The raised "cabins" were elegantly basic, so we felt a part of the jungle and could hear and see all wildlife in the area! The Howler monkeys started their unique calls at 5a, so if you like to sleep in, not the place for you! Because it is so humid, the ceiling and oscillating fans were great.
Their focus on eco-friendly coexistence with nature is genuine, and Marco and his staff are very knowledgeable and forthcoming when it comes to the wildlife and environment, as well as friendly and hospitable! The food was great, the beautiful beach was steps away, every need was taken care of, and the ZIPLINE experience was breathtaking!! I would recommend ALmonds and Corals to anyone who loves nature and wants to immerse themselves in the Costa Rican jungle!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lakewood, CO
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Our family of three stayed here for two nights. We were pleasantly surprised by how large our room was, and it included a hammock! The bathroom included a stand-up shower, sink and toilet, so was very basic, but was adequate. The real attraction is having your own cabin on stilts in the middle of the jungle, it is a very unique experience. I was afraid the noises from the jungle would keep me awake, but they actually were easy to fall asleep to. The howler monkeys were not so easy to stay asleep to, but what an amazing way to wake up... by howler monkey! The beach was wonderful, and you can get into the water a little ways, but need to walk further up the beach if you want to swim (riptides). The breakfast and dinner were both very generous and good. Everyone who worked there was very nice and we had excellent service the entire time. We did the canopy (zipline) tour, which was great! Just a short drive away is the Jaguar Rescue, which is definitely worth checking out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a beautiful property with tree house style units right in the jungle. It was so relaxing to hear the rain on the roof and the howler monkeys at dusk. The sea is almost at your doorstep. We were impressed by the friendly staff who all seem to love their work and the guests. The food was amazing!! Can't say enough about our wonderful experience at Almonds and Corals!! The beach is lovely and quiet--like having your own private beach!! We hated leaving this beautiful place!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place is amazing, though it's definitely not for everyone. If you like you're private, quiet rooms with all the creature comforts it's probably not for you, but then neither is Manzanillo in general. However, despite the rooms brine separated from the rainforest by mere mesh walls and cotton curtains they are still very comfortable, and the leaf-thatched roofs and gossamer mosquito nets give the rooms a romantic, rainforest-oasis feel, which is exactly what it is. The lights along the paths between the cabins make the place look utterly magical at night, and the mesh walls and openness of the buildings give one a tremendous feeling of oneness with the forest, without sacrificing comfort. The restaurant makes good food though I only had the buffet option while there, and the bar makes an excellent mojito. Overall it is a lovely place for those who are interested in the rainforest experience, from the comfort of a nice feather bed or bubbling jacuzzi. One negative point, it's a bit overpriced, but still worth it for a few nights. Definitely a must see for fellow naturalists/ecologists/zoologists etc.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Curtained palaces in the jungle and just by the beach. Friendly and helpful staff. Plentiful food and great breakfasts. No swimming right in front of hotel but great swimming beaches a short walk or bike away. Recommend dolphin spotting!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank h0neym00nwife
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just returned home from staying at Almonds & Corals a couple of weeks ago and it's still fresh on my mind. There were so many amazing things about this place I don't know where to start.

First of all, imagine you are in the jungle and someone just dropped in lovely cabins down between the trees and foliage. And not the rough cabins of my youth in Girl Scouts! These are spacious and comfortable with a shower, spa tub, small sitting area and hammock. I was surprised at how large my room was and happy that my bed was comfortable.

I had wondered how hot it was going to be in advance of our arriving, when I learned their were fans, not air conditioning. When I got to my room I was pleased to find 2 large stand-up fans, but although it was humid, I ended up having to turn them both off when I went to sleep. I slept comfortably and just fine without them.

The beach was just a short walk down the path through the trees and was beautiful and very private. I was able to find a good spot out of the currents to take a swim, and the water was just perfect.

The staff was amazing! Jessica was so friendly and and patient, even when I locked myself out of my safe twice. And Angel at the restaurant is a gem. I looked forward to seeing his bright smiling face every day and his amazing mojitos! The owners Aurora and Marco were so gracious and it was really interesting to hear the history of how they came to build this wonderful place, and all their knowledge of the native animals and the region.

Oh and what about the monkeys?! And the sloths?? They were right there outside of our rooms to see close up and personal. This was a totally unique experience for us and really fun to see.

I will definitely come back to Almonds and Corals. Next time I would like to stay a little longer so I can do more exploring. The only thing I would probably do differently is to bring a flashlight. Streetlights not included here!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank KImDunbar
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I really felt like I was Tarzan's Jane being in this lodge. If you truly want that forest adventure, this is the place to stay! Monkeys for your alarm clock, and my room felt like I was up in a tree, but with all the hotel amenities! That jacuzzi felt perfect after a full day! Staff was fantastic and the food superb! They have the full package! I yelled out "AAAAHHHHHH" (Tarzan yell) on a zipline excursion surrounding the hotel! Great way to end my adventure!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanillo
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
#1 of 12 in Cahuita
Hotel Blue Conga
Hotel Blue Conga
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Almonds and Corals Hotel? Share your experiences!