Almonds and Corals Hotel
Hotel Shawandha Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$110
  • Breakfast included
$195
$138
Hotel Yare(Cocles)
$40
  • Restaurant
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$88
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$128
$105
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$71
$68
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$75
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$115
$99
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$65
$55
All reviewshot tubunique experiencehowler monkeysour honeymoonshort walkforest soundsjaguar rescue centerbeautiful beachpuerto viejoher husbandjungle livinglocal guiderented bikescurtainsmarcoaurorascreen
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just returned home from staying at Almonds & Corals a couple of weeks ago and it's still fresh on my mind. There were so many amazing things about this place I don't know where to start.

First of all, imagine you are in the jungle and someone just dropped in lovely cabins down between the trees and foliage. And not the rough cabins of my youth in Girl Scouts! These are spacious and comfortable with a shower, spa tub, small sitting area and hammock. I was surprised at how large my room was and happy that my bed was comfortable.

I had wondered how hot it was going to be in advance of our arriving, when I learned their were fans, not air conditioning. When I got to my room I was pleased to find 2 large stand-up fans, but although it was humid, I ended up having to turn them both off when I went to sleep. I slept comfortably and just fine without them.

The beach was just a short walk down the path through the trees and was beautiful and very private. I was able to find a good spot out of the currents to take a swim, and the water was just perfect.

The staff was amazing! Jessica was so friendly and and patient, even when I locked myself out of my safe twice. And Angel at the restaurant is a gem. I looked forward to seeing his bright smiling face every day and his amazing mojitos! The owners Aurora and Marco were so gracious and it was really interesting to hear the history of how they came to build this wonderful place, and all their knowledge of the native animals and the region.

Oh and what about the monkeys?! And the sloths?? They were right there outside of our rooms to see close up and personal. This was a totally unique experience for us and really fun to see.

I will definitely come back to Almonds and Corals. Next time I would like to stay a little longer so I can do more exploring. The only thing I would probably do differently is to bring a flashlight. Streetlights not included here!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank KImDunbar
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I really felt like I was Tarzan's Jane being in this lodge. If you truly want that forest adventure, this is the place to stay! Monkeys for your alarm clock, and my room felt like I was up in a tree, but with all the hotel amenities! That jacuzzi felt perfect after a full day! Staff was fantastic and the food superb! They have the full package! I yelled out "AAAAHHHHHH" (Tarzan yell) on a zipline excursion surrounding the hotel! Great way to end my adventure!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Breathtaking, unexpected beautiful and romantic place to stay. After a long 5 hour drive we were welcomed by extremely nice staff. Our bungalow was soooooo pretty and perfect for us. Hence we were celebrating our honeymoon (Back in 2008)
I totally forgot the names of the people we got along with but they made our stay so much fun and magical. Even though we didn't have television or air conditioning it was a perfect experience. We enjoyed our stay even better that way. The spa was great too. I would love to go back and reminisce and enjoy the food, activities and the people. One day.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Besides being woken up by howler monkeys, this place is very nice. The rooms are spacious and there is a hot tub in every room. There is wifi, for those who can't live without it. The dinning hall is beautiful and the drinks are delicious. Everyone is super nice there and the nearest town, Puerto Viejo, is only 10-15 min away.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I was referred to AyC by a friend, and I am so glad I took her advise to go. It was such a unique experience staying in the jungle! The sounds that filled the night and the morning were awe inspiring.

When the jungle crept into my room uninvited in the form of ants (ick!), the staff took care of it right away. I think my new best friend is Angel in the restaurant. He told me about the "sloths' house" on the path, and when I reported back that I didn't find any, he dropped everything and walked down there with me to find some. And yup, they were there!

As much as I enjoyed the staff, I really appreciated the personal attention of the owner, Marco. He was so knowledgable, I loved talking with him about Tico culture and things to do in the area. He went the extra mile to make arrangements for a tour for my husband and me.

For a unique experience, I would heartily recommend almonds and corals!

• Stayed: June 2013