“Roughing it--in comfort and style!”

Almonds and Corals Hotel
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I was referred to AyC by a friend, and I am so glad I took her advise to go. It was such a unique experience staying in the jungle! The sounds that filled the night and the morning were awe inspiring.

When the jungle crept into my room uninvited in the form of ants (ick!), the staff took care of it right away. I think my new best friend is Angel in the restaurant. He told me about the "sloths' house" on the path, and when I reported back that I didn't find any, he dropped everything and walked down there with me to find some. And yup, they were there!

As much as I enjoyed the staff, I really appreciated the personal attention of the owner, Marco. He was so knowledgable, I loved talking with him about Tico culture and things to do in the area. He went the extra mile to make arrangements for a tour for my husband and me.

For a unique experience, I would heartily recommend almonds and corals!

• Stayed: June 2013
There are newer reviews for Almonds and Corals Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were surprised when we saw our accommodations, built on stilts, neatly tucked into the jungle. Each cottage was nicely outfitted with comfortable bedding and drapes. The walls are screen, so it can be noisy at night, but the noises are pleasant jungle sounds, so it's fine. Howler Monkeys are common overhead. Birding is wonderful here. There are lots of rules regarding use of water, so we were surprised to find a spa in each room. It didn't seem to fit into water conservation, so we never tried to use it. It takes a while for hot water to reach the room, but it does eventually. The dining room was large and the food quite good. Angel and Jesse made our bar and dining experiences enjoyable. There is a beach, but swimming is not allowed due to rip currents. Because of the location, on the Caribbean lowlands, it is quite hot and humid here.

Room Tip: I believe the cottages are all the same.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had lunch here and ziplined. The ziplining was pricey $100 for two of us, but the guides were safe and did a great job of pointing out animals and insects all over the place. The patio area (common area) is so beautiful and this was the quietest place we ever visited when on the Viejo strip. I can see why others might be frustrated with the rooms, as they are actually platform tents. So make sure your spouse and kids are okay with that.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was quite disappointed with the staff at this camping facility. It truly is a cool spot,adjacent to a beautiful stretch of beach. It is not, however,a hotel. It is a nice platform tent community. The tents are clean and the bed was fine. Two meals are included,but truly they are not edible. I have graceless to Central America for years, and no one should subject themselves to the blatant unsanitary conditions of this kitchen. Insects swarmed in much of the food. No misting,the maple syrup moved with termites swarming...even after being alerted, the staff did nothing. If this was advertised as a cheap place. I'd say there is plenty of good food surrounding the area. For the price, however, it is a very poor choice. Puerto Vision has much more to offer then this tent hotel...and by the way, that beach is totally accessible from the road...no need to stay there to enjoy the beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We rocked up at the hotel in the last minute to see if there was any availability for one night and there was. The bungalow are all the same (ours had a kingsize bed and a single bed) with a hot tub on the other side of the room. It had a standing fan and a ceiling fan too which was helpful, given the hot climate. I think it would have been nice for the hammock to be outside the bungalow as opposed to inside by the corner, but having no balcony or outside veranda, better than not having one at all.

Pros:

* Hotel has its own walkway to the beach of Manzanillo
* It has several hammocks on the beach too for guests only which we enjoyed using
* Bungalow is spacious with hot tub and separate show

Cons:

* Lots of flies over the breakfast buffet
* Dinner was so so, nothing special, even for 4* hotel

Tips

* The receptionist knocked off $50 form $200 when we asked if they could give us a discount if we paid in cash :-)
* Look out for monkeys. After spending some time in the Corcovado National Park and seeing no monkeys (though we saw a sloth so it made up for it!) we saw two monkeys jumping from tree to tree at the hotel on our way out of breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L0nd0n_traveller1982
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

The good:

It had a nice location right in the jungle and on the beach. The jungle was pretty much untouched in and around the resort, so you could literally step off the path and into the woods. It really made you feel like you were in the middle of nature. It was a very peaceful way to sleep. The beach was right at the end of the path, very close to the restaurant and rooms.

The bad:

My biggest complaint is that it was a poor value for the money. They just need to charge more in line with what you're getting. There just wasn't enough people on staff to serve the needs of that kind of resort. There seemed to be just 2 people running the entire restaurant - one to cook and one to take orders, serve food, refil drinks, etc. The food was edible but not something that I'd look forward to each day. The menu was a bit limited and didn't change at all during our stay. The bed linens were a little stained and never felt very clean. The water in the shower came out in one thin stream - like a hose that wasn't very strong. The bath tub took about two hours to fill. It was not very easy to communicate with the staff. Given I was in a Spanish speaking country and should have had a better command of the language, but the website lead me to believe that it would be more friendly towards English speakers. The woman who served dinner was the most fluent in English and by far the nicest person on the staff.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Brad z
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in July of this year. It was everything we expected and more.

We experienced a major storm come through one morning, this closed down the exit road for most of the day, and the path to the beach, but this gave us time to explore the the immediate area. The staff were beyond amazing especially 'Angel'. Even though his English was very limited and our Spanish even more so limited, we had no issues communicating. We have never felt more at home then our stay there.

The accommodation were amazing, yes it is rustic, but beautiful! What you should expect is a 5 star Camping adventure! If you are expecting pristine accommodation you will be disappointed, as you will be staying in huts, in the middle of a 'rainforest'. You will have to contend with mother nature, so yes, you will have bugs in your room, mildew, as it is extremely humid, and the surrounding wildlife noises. Be ready to be woken at about 5:05am, by the howlers! We were told the bugs would be bad, but they were nothing like we expected. Lots of different critters then we are use to at home, but we didn't find the need to use repellent or even the netting on our beds.

The food was amazing! Especially the steak, and that coming from an Albertan has got to say something about it.

We will be returning, and recommend it to everyone we talk to.

Pura Vida!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanillo
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
Hotel Blue Conga
Hotel Blue Conga
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Congo Bongo Ecolodges Costa Rica

Been to Almonds and Corals Hotel? Share your experiences!